Naimlessones GCsp

Another small update!

Got some more case work done with the trigger housings fully in place, although not yet modded to fit in the tight area they are in.

Hopefully the lighting wasn't too bad where I took these. Also, don't mind the cat hair in some of the pics.

Still need to cut out for the headphone jack, sd slots, av out and switch, and the screen controls and audio controls on the face of the case. Just waiting for the ABS cement to set up. I'll be gone all weekend so not much more till later next week.

It's slow rolling, but still rolling!!

Back from my vacation. Abs cement is good and hard now so I can get to work sanding what I have down to see where I need to add to to fill in, which shouldn't be much. Won't get to that till probably Wednesday now. can also start to cut the board down a bit to see where I need to cut out for sure for the vents/intakes. Can also start getting button boards made up and ready to mount/mock up before prime and painting of the case, but that's still a little ways off.

Hey all! Another little update.

Mainly case work, but I did get around to finally cutting the mobo down as well.

PICS!:

watch out for the crotch shot there....

I still need to cut out where the permanent marker is for the a/v port, lid switch, headphone jack and screen switch will go on top, along with the sd gecko and wasp sd slot on the bottom of the case. Just waiting for the abs cement to set up again so I can finish the back of the case. Also waiting for more perf board to come in to do the tact switch layout for the buttons on the face.

Wish this cement would set up faster though!

It's so beautiful, I love it. Your motherboard is cut beautifully too. It looks like top notch workmanship all around.

More Updates!

got some more work done on the case and some wiring started on the sd gecko.

Not very happy with how the finish on the back of the case turned out. I didn't do as much sanding as was needed I came to find out, only after I got the first couple coats of finish paint on it. I'm using a high gloss rustoleum metallic dark blue on top of a rustoleum automotive primer, same primer as I used on my N64p. I'm not gonna try and fix it now as it's too far gone and would require too much work to strip the layers off to try to get it perfect... I'll do better on my next one.

Edit: Seems as how I still have to wait for new orders on Wasps to be taken, I've decided to redo the finish on the back of the case. After looking closer at it, I just couldn't let it sit as it was. it's not up to my standards. I know I can make it look much better than what you can see in the pics, which you can't really see the extent of it from just those pics.

Pics!:

paint:

sd gecko:

Update time!

So I re-did my case back; re-sanded the rough spots as best as I could and made it look much better. Also got some work done on the audio amp moving some of the tact switches so I could mount them on the face plate above the screen beside the screen control tacts. Also got the power wires soldered to the mobo and screen glued into the face of the case along with the 3ds speakers, which btw, were exactly what was used in the Wii U gamepads; they fit perfectly.

so here's some more pics of the new paint:

and other progress:

I also discovered a little hiccup with the z-button and my headphone jack placement:

If I can offer one word of advice to anyone thinking of or currently trying to make this, at least for your first time, TAKE YOUR TIME! CHECK AND RECHECK! Especially before putting your paint on...

But as I said, a little hiccup.

I think I have a solution for it that will be even easier than what I had planned on, which was incorporating the entire gigantic r-button from the original Wii U gamepad as the z-button. I will instead be taking a page out of Ashens playbook by using a tact mounted inside of the button itself, and mounting solid to the case the r-button with some epoxy..

Where the gray part of the inside of the r-button is, and directly behind the little circle hole in the gray, is the 'R' printed on the visible part of the switch. My plan is to drill that out enough for a tall tact switch to slide in, and maybe even incorporate the small "-" button i'm not using from the other face buttons from the Wii U pad, but probably not.

But that's where I'm at right meow. hopefully I can get a wasp ordered soon as It's getting closer to the stopping point on this lol.

Also before I forget because I know someone asked; How I mounted my triggers to the case:

All I really did was to cut at an angle down the front of the base closest to the face of the unit, where two small tabs where sticking off the front. Saved between 4-6mm between that and where the analogs will mount.

The case works looks great man! I know what you can do to fix the Z shoulder button issue. If you have access to some thin plastic, you can cut the original mount off and Epoxy the thin plastic to the button so that it uses the thin plastic for its mount. I've done this in the past to great effect.

Another update!

Got my heat sink all cutout and my z-button problem solved!

I decided to cut in the "-" button from the gamepad into the r-shoulder button. Looksy:

And the heatsink:

Also got some work done on soldering up the squishy tacts to the protoboard for the abxy start buttons. Now I'm waiting for the abs cement that's holding the mounting nuts to the case for the boards to mount to.

Btw, has anyone heard from Mega about when more orders for WASPs will be taken? We're into April now and I haven't heard anything...

Twitter... Badassconsoles has a twitter. But he is renovating to better service the community.... Out simmering like that. Lol.

So I have purchased my Wasp fusion and mega drive from Badassconsoles.com.

As soon as it arrives I will be able to make some more progress on this. Hence the lack of activity.

So I got a little busy over the last few months with life and all. Just pulled the case and some components out of the cardboard box I was keeping them in while I waited for the WASP. But unfortunately the back half of the case which had the most amount of frankencasing had warped to the point of being unusable. SO as of now THIS portable will be scrapped. But I have plans for another less ambitious (simpler if you will) portable in the works. So stay tuned for that one in the coming weeks/months as I get time to get it going.

Also, in order to make my life easier I'm looking for something I had seen in the months before stopping work on this project a controller replacement pcb. It had points to land the different buttons and analog stick points to and for the life of me I cannot find it on the forums. If anyone knows where I can find it PLEASE either post a link or directions as to where I can get one.

naimlessone said:
So I got a little busy over the last few months with life and all. Just pulled the case and some components out of the cardboard box I was keeping them in while I waited for the WASP. But unfortunately the back half of the case which had the most amount of frankencasing had warped to the point of being unusable. SO as of now THIS portable will be scrapped. But I have plans for another less ambitious (simpler if you will) portable in the works. So stay tuned for that one in the coming weeks/months as I get time to get it going.

Also, in order to make my life easier I'm looking for something I had seen in the months before stopping work on this project a controller replacement pcb. It had points to land the different buttons and analog stick points to and for the life of me I cannot find it on the forums. If anyone knows where I can find it PLEASE either post a link or directions as to where I can get one.

Man, I'm sorry to hear about the case. That really sucks man.

Well, I have a link for you. I believe you were talking about the Gcmini board made by RDC. Here's a link to his thread over on GC forever. He only has DIY boards available at the moment so be warned, you will have to relocate all the components from the official GC controller to the Mini GC board. This includes the IC chip. This can be difficult if you do not have the soldering experience.

http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... =26&t=1568

Thanks for the link Red. Yeah it sucks. A lot of work down the drain but it was a good learning experience and practice but I think I was to ambitious on what I wanted to do for it being my first GC portable.

I was hoping that it was a fully functioning board so I guess I'll just make due with a regular controller pcb. Will be less work it seems if I have to move everything, but I will bookmark that for future reference. Thanks!

Back