2xWhiskey's GCp (Poor Attempt at Being Cool)

2xWhiskey

So, I'm sure like many others, I stumbled across Tchay's Envision demo on YouTube and found myself bit by the bug...

Case:
I'm going with a Wii U Gamepad shell purchased here from Ebay. I plan on frankencasing it to fit my minimum requirements:
1. Must fit a 4::3: ratio screen. I'm peculiar in that I dislike a stretched image and a 16:9's unused sidebars if unstretched.
2. Must be comfortable to hold. The Wii U Gamepad is comfortable in my hands, so I want to retain the relative control locations and handle portions. I must note that the handle portions seem a little slim, with room for an additional 1/4" to 1/2" thickness, which would only make it more comfortable to hold.

Video:
Full of Tchay-envy, Imust have VGA out, so I'm building a Shuriken Video v2 that will plug into a 5" Innolux ZJ050NA-08C 640x480 display & LCD Driver Combo that I bought here.

Audio:
- Audio Amp; I'm unsure about this one, I still have to figure out what to go with.
- Speakers; I ordered a couple of iPhone 6 replacement speakers from here. This was probably a stupid move as the picture shows 4 contacts for the speakers... Either way, I need to put aside my distractions and try to find a datasheet for them. Then I can figure out if they are doable and what amp to go for.

Drive:
I'm ditching the disc drive and going with a WASP Fusion. I think the spinning disc and extra bulk would just irritate me.

Power:
For now I'm leaning to no batteries and just using a wall wart. We'll see how thick this puppy gets as it goes along, then I'll reevaluate.

Wish me luck!

(Tchay: no insult intended, great video, and most of all great job!)

To match my display I cut out a middle section with a razor saw:
25080008355_256f512447_h.jpg

The two halves glued together with Pastruct Plastic Weld:
25080010805_bfd6fcc56a_h.jpg

Display fit check, and holes drilled for the display's keypad:
25053666326_fb1ac3c7de_h.jpg

Keypad location:
24986861821_f61bbd9b84_h.jpg

Been wanting to do something simular with a wii u gamepad to re-house 2ds.

This looks very clean; I will be following!

The speaker you bought is an ear speaker. thats the speaker that activates when you are holding it on your ear-> its veeeeery quiet, even on maximum volume :p

Well dang, guess I need to source some better speakers... If I recall correctly, I wasn't very impressed by the Wii U Gamepad's original speakers. I'm going to have to hook that one back up and check it out...

Thanks for the heads-up.

For now I'm hogging out doing some case work. Not much to show other than excess plastic removal.

Back