blue_stalfos's GCP worklog

blue_stalfos

I've been working on this for about a week now and thought it was about time I started a work-log.
Haven't decided on a name yet, although I think I'm going to paint it black.

Specs:
- 4.3" ebay screen
- WiiKey Fusion
- ZN-40 casing
- Rev A board
- Three 3.7v 4700mAh batteryspace batteries (Got Them from samjc3 :) ). I may need something smaller though.

Here is my progress so far: (Will be updated)
- Drilled screen hole
- Drilled Holes for all the buttons
- Partially trimmed the board

PICS:
P1000576.jpg

P1000575.jpg

Got some more progress done today. Drilled holes for the analog stick and the D-pad.
PIC:
P1000578.jpg

My next step is going to be securing the buttons in. I'm going to use a little 5min epoxy on the back for support, then use alot of it in the front. I also have some J-B Kwik and Bondo, but I'm not sure if I'm gonna use 'em. And before I start doing that I'm gonna have to do a little more research, so I'll probably have some more progress by this wekend.

Finished mounting the controller pieces in today using some 5min loctite epoxy.
I got some spot putty for bonding the controls to the front of the case. I also got some paint.

Pics

Back
P1000581.jpg

Front (buttons are not secured in yet)
P1000580.jpg

I was looking around for an SD card adapter so I can run home-brew and wanted to know if this was OK
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/wiikey-sd- ... r-wii-3993

I should be able to complete the front of the casing this weekend, if not tomorrow. After that I'll cut up the controller board and all that jazz. I'm gonna commission someone (Ashen, when he's available) to wire up my wiikey.
Case-work has been better than I though it would be. In fact, I can't stop working on it, but I guess thats a good thing :D

That looks fine, but why not just order an SD card slot? They are wired up the same way. XD

Also, I might be willing to wire up your WiiKey for you. PM me.

Thanks sony :) (I musta done good :o )

Before I start wiring things up, I need to plan out where everything is going to be placed inside the case. So I have a few questions about that.

Is there a certain distance my batteries and heat-sink should be apart?
This is about how far apart they need to be in order for the case to close.

P1000595.jpg

CLOSE UP: http://i1231.photobucket.com/albums/ee5 ... 000596.jpg

This is my layout so far:
P1000597.jpg

Batteries on the left, two on bottom and one on top. (PCB over there as well)
Controller board on top of the batteries
4 controller ports on the left of the mobo

I figured the wiikey and mem card won't take up very much room since they are almost aligned with the mobo. (definatly commissioning someone for those)

In case you haven't noticed already, I trimmed my GC some more as well as my controller board.

I'm going to cut a space out in the heatsink for a fan. Does anyone of a good one I can use? (and a speaker?) Found one in an old phone.

I've been working on the L and R triggers the past week and I'm really glad I put the extra effort into 'em

PIC's:

The front
P1000600.jpg

Looks sloppy right?
P1000601.jpg

Wrong! They fit perfectly! :awesome:
P1000602.jpg

The back
P1000603.jpg

I really like how it turned out. (even though its not sanded yet)
I'm using two 3.7v batteries instead of three. (with custom regds that I just ordered)
I also ordered an sd card slot and GC memory card to SD card adapter. (still need a fan though)

I usually buy quickset epoxy or epoxy for plastics (both made by loctite). As for the putty I either got the 5 minute setting kind from loctite, or a kind specialized for plastics from JB. The loctite brand sets to fast but goes on a lot smoother and is eaisier to sand. The JB brand gives a lot of time for forming but is harder to scope out imperfections with. I'd use the JB brand for the first layer then use the loctite brand for filling in holes ect.

Back