Downing's SG-N64p Featuring The Legend of Zelda: OOT

Downing

Hey guys! Been a long time between projects but such is life these days when free time is at a minimum.

Anyway, I just wanted to show off my latest completed project and the first in a line of SGN64p's that I plan to make. I present, the Immortalized classic, Ocarina of Time in its own portable rendition.

20160130_172518_zpsposzvroh.jpg

20160130_172549_zpsntvepjn8.jpg

20160130_172555_zpsclios6gc.jpg

20160130_172531_zpsnwin0wdr.jpg

20160130_172612_zpsdkpaxkpx.jpg

20160128_192032_zpsvdmpkyub.jpg

System specs:

1 - Original N64 Motherboard, Trimmed with trimmed jumper pak.
1 - Original copy of The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time Hardwired
2 - 3.7v Lithium/Polymer batteries w/protection circuit and 8.4V Smart Charger
1 - PTH08080WAZ 3.3v Step Down Regulator
1 - Custom Audio Amp by RDC
1 - Custom N64 Controller by RDC
1 - 5" 16:9 or 3:4 Ratio Display
2 - 40mm Mylar Speakers
Custom Printed Casing, Buttons (exception C, B&A from a Super Pad)
1 - PS3 Joystick on Custom Breakout Board
1 - Charging Jack
1 - Head Phone Jack w/on-off kill switch
1 - Video output jack & Cable to TV.
Back-lit Tri Force Logo

All in all I've been working of an on with this for about 4 month, probably putting in about 40 hours or so all together. There were a couple of kinks that needed to be worked out on the first run so the second and third version of this will undoubtedly go smoother. And I will be selling this after about a week or so of play testing so I can get some extra scratch for parts needed to get my CNC machines running again.

Hope you enjoy it, I think it came out pretty decent!

Dang, that thing's bangin'. I love the hearts as the control buttons. Great job as always Downing. :D

As I already said, love it! You're clean and neat internals are becoming pretty standard on your last few projects, quite inspiring!

Very very nice - can't wait until I can start messing around with a 3d printer myself.

I get vibes of those old Tiger Electronics games.

Only, it's actually OOT, and playable.

Good work.

That was actually an original part of the inspiration. In fact, I'm still toying with the idea.

Tiger%20N64%20Proto_zps8soiniuk.jpg

Dear god its even more beautiful on the inside than it is on the outside :')

Nice work as always Downing!

Nice! I like it! :)

I'm pretty sure the hackaday people watch your website now, because I've seen a few of your things on there in the past lol.

Also, I think the Hackaday comments have gotten to be akin to youtube comments over the past few years....

bentendo64 said:
Nice! I like it! :)

I'm pretty sure the hackaday people watch your website now, because I've seen a few of your things on there in the past lol.

Also, I think the Hackaday comments have gotten to be akin to youtube comments over the past few years....
You mean the "just get a psp 3DS" comments?

Well, if you look at the comments for basically any post there, you have to sift through the "Not a hack" and "you spelled X and Y wrong, how do I grammar?" comments before you get to any actual discussion. And even then, half of those are people arguing about who's right.

But maybe I'm just a pessimist and I only see the bad stuff :)

Bad Hackaday comments aren't just limited to "our" projects. A lot of other posts are filled with the same vitrol, mostly "This is a waste of time because you didn't do it like this/like I would have done." I don't think it's as bad as LOL PSP LOL Engadget posts (rpi's are definitely the new LOL PSP LOL though), but they have been getting worse.

There's been some good ones over the years though, like that one guy that got mad because we always trim boards instead of making entirely new PCBs for everything instead.

My favorites are the guys who'll offer you $50 for a full blown portable project and think they are being generous about it. I really just don't pay too much attention to the comments regardless. Everyone has an opinion and because it's the Internet, they can say what they may only halfheartedly mean and never say to your face.

Strange though as I thought people would rip into the project because of the 16:9 screen. Didn't hear a peep about it.

SUPER quick question. I noticed that those who use the car monitor screens always add a external audio amp, due to the screen not having native audio. Because I used to use screens that already had speakers and audio, its never crossed my mind before, but...

When using these screens (Which are cheap and super easy to work with, do you HAVE to have a audio amp chip? I used to think the N64 already had one and that if I ever had to use different speakers, I could hook them right up to the L/R audio out with 5v and ground from the A/V connector on the N64 mobo.

Am I wrong?

The audio amp in the N64 amplifies the sound from a very low level to line level, and then the secondary audio amp puts it up to speaker level.

Think of it like this: when you use a turntable, it makes a very weak signal, so you need a phono preamp. The preamp pushes it up to line level which you send to a stereo via RCA cables, and the stereo acts as the power amp. This makes a signal that is okay for driving speakers. The same applies to microphones, electric guitars, and N64s.

While i've never used a turn table before, I think I get it. And this leads to a problem. I started a project and ordered audio amp chips, but due to my job (U.S Navy) I wont be here when it gets here, leaving my project in limbo. I want to finish this project before I go back to sea. If I absolutely need an audio chip, is there any store that sells them (that you guys know of)? I tried radio shack, but got nothing. I am on crunch time here.

Back