Downing's SG-N64p Featuring The Legend of Zelda: OOT

Adafruit has really decent (and tiny) amps for super cheap. Shipping isn't exactly the cheapest since they only do UPS though, so bundle it in with a couple of other things to make it worth it.

Noah said:
Adafruit has really decent (and tiny) amps for super cheap. Shipping isn't exactly the cheapest since they only do UPS though, so bundle it in with a couple of other things to make it worth it.

that site seems a bit overpriced actually. here's a better audio amp (has volume control), ~2 bucks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAM8403-Dou...236890?hash=item2a56f0a11a:g:YC0AAOxyzHxRWXIz

this one's cheaper but has no volume ctrl. it's small as Heck though:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PAM8403-Aud...998565?hash=item3aa841f725:g:GJYAAOSwymxVOM7h

only bad thing about these is that they're from china so shipping will take a while.

Fantastic build; the tidy internals are quite inspirational!

Well, I'm looking to attempt my N64p V3; original name. . . I know :lol:

I'm going to use some bits from my V2 and try and build it as tidy, small and professional as possible. I have access to a very good 3d printer, and will be designing the case specifically for the design as I go along, love the fact others have started playing with them as well, gives me something to go off.

What I am really curious about, as it appears the scene has moved on a little since I was last here, is your controller board? Does this allow you to use any pot based joystick in place of the N64 standard stick? Where can I purchase one from, as it looks fantastic and exactly what I will need!
And from what I read, they also make audio amps, which seem perfect. I built my own last time :)

Thanks in advance, keep up the awesome work!

Yeah, the scene has changed quite a bit. The few of us that have stuck with it have evolved with the times to bring modern tech into the Retro market, which is kind of ironic if you think about it.

But I like to build quality stuff and I've made some really good contacts over the years to help bring that modern touch to the retro goodness.

The controller board is one of RDC's design. It doesn't take just any Pot and make it work, it'll even take sliders. So yes, for a portable it's perfect. But...he's not making them anymore, at least not in a one-off situation.

The audio amp however is something I could provide for you. Yes, he designed that too, but I have some extras I could populate and sell you if you want one. Only downside is it's meant for 16 to 32ohm speakers, which most small 25mm mylars at 8ohms can't handle. You can get 32ohm speaker in 28mm from Mouser or Digikey, but they are kinda pricey.

He also just finished off a beautiful PTH08080WAH/WAZ regulator break out board so you don't have to half-ass wire the caps, resistors and I/O to the thing. Got some of those on the way too!

Ah Dang, that controller board would have been absolutely perfect!
My last build was a very tidy build on the outside, but was a bit compacted inside; I used a home made vacuum formed case for it.

This time, I aim to build the board and get all the internal components compiled/ constructed, then design a 3D printed case for everything to fit into perfectly, mounting points and indentations etc.

1549301_1448850635349514_1113281745_n.jpg

Pic of where the last one got to, as everyone likes a pic-a-ma-ture :tophat:

Well, if you ever find a way to sweet talk RDC into making any more (and sending it to the UK, as I'm making a wild guess you're based over the pond from me?), I would be beyond incredible grateful, and happy to pay whatever he is asking for it :)

Back