YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

I didn't. That's the texture of the horrible Bondo job showing through.

Also, picture time!

34ez59e.jpg

faww2d.jpg

24ytseo.jpg

Controls are in, but the main stick is loose and doens't center properly. I think I've mostly fixed it now. I screwed up the switch hole; too close to the d-pad. I'm not going to bother re-bondoing it. I did however add some touch-up paint. I mounted the power switches as well, but I still have to put in the hole for the headphone jack. Power and dock ports will go on the back. I tried cutting a cart slot hole and immediately realized it wasn't going to work, so I dremeled the cart slot area off the original YAP64 case and used that instead. I tried a new technique- it's tacked in place with hot glue then liquid ABS is added to actually hold it. I think I have to cut a new hole for the wires as it is right where the cart slot will be.

EVERYBAWDY said:
*barfupsnowpenguin'sfecalmatter* WAIT, WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?
fix'd for the use of everyone else.
(and you liked to criticize other people's casework)

If I ever bake a cake, it comes out looking like that. Except it also says "Happy Birthday" and has some candles on top of it. Otherwise, identical...

Seriously though, get some high grit (180) wet / dry sand paper and go to town sanding that thing down. Don't worry about the direction, just get it somewhat smooth, and then move on to something a little finer, perhaps 240 and then around 500 before painting it again. My advice to you would be to get a warm soapy bowl of water and soak the wet / dry paper in there and do a wet sand (that way you don't gunk up the sandpaper as easily). Don't use an electric sander either because sanding through paint gunks up the sand paper and it just makes things a lot worse.

It's well worth doing because one may have the smallest, lightest, most awesomely wired portable EVER, but if it looks like crap, it looks like crap. In my opinion, building a beautiful case should take just as long, if not longer than it takes to wire up and make the portable in the first place. You might find it as boring as Heck to do, but its part of the job.

I know how ugly it is, people. One of the reasons I put the controls in now is so I couldn't get all anal/OCD/perfectionist/etc with it. The fact is that I just want to get it done at this point. So yeah, it's going to look ugly, but probably not the ugliest.

Which gives me an idea for a spam thread...

Your call mate, it's your project. I'd personally spend that little extra time making it look nice so that I don't get sick of the sight of it in the future and end up cannibalising it for parts in my other projects.

Well, I got one of the analog sticks working, but the d-pad and c-buttons aren't all working and the other stick is still messed up. These controls have got to be the hardest part of the whole process.

XCVG said:
Well, I got one of the analog sticks working, but the d-pad and c-buttons aren't all working and the other stick is still messed up. These controls have got to be the hardest part of the whole process.
They always are.

Always.

I fixed the d-pad and I think I fixed the action and c-buttons as well. Working on the analog sticks. Had them working, but the left-side stick itself is totally *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up. Decided to replace it with a DualShock stick. Still using the XBOX stick caps, because the DualShock ones won't fit through the hole :(

Fixed the controls. The front part is now done except for the screen. I've started working on the battery/power circuitry and some casework in the back. Pics... tomorrow.

Still need to:
-install screen
-wire speakers
-wire and mount headphone jack
-mount volume control
-wire up power
-glue in battery, PCB, charge jack and life indicator
-add power LED
-finish slot relocation
-mount cart slot
-wire dock port
-I think that's it

So, not at the "almost finished" phase yet, but definitely into the "end is in sight" one.

Cart slot successfully relocated! Sorry, didn't take any pics.

TODO:
-mount cart slot
-wire power
-cram batteries in back
-wire AV, controls
-install screen

Back