YAP64/2: XCVG's N64p Project

Wired the batteries, the most unusual and least tested part of the whole portable. Can't test it yet. Cart slot is now mounted. Pics... today!

16gekvt.jpg

3464air.jpg

j0d8i9.jpg

2nrzzhg.jpg

In a feat of extreme irony, this portable is incapable of playing Japanese games. The problem is that the only (easy) way to keep stupid people from putting carts in backwards was to put some blocks in the North American indents. I used hot glue- ghetto but it works. Yes you can force a cartridge in, probably, but only if you are stupid.

You could have, just, you know, did a good job cutting the cartridge slot hole.

Also, did you cut out the entire back of the case?

snowpenguin said:
You could have, just, you know, did a good job cutting the cartridge slot hole.

Also, did you cut out the entire back of the case?

Well SP, if you'd been paying attention you would know that I glued in the slot part of an N64 and didn't cut it out. I actually tried to but it wasn't stable enough to Dremel and this was easier anyway.

And no, I only cut out vents and wire holes. Except most of the wire holes are blocked by the board so I fed the wires through the jumper pak and cart slot holes.

ShockSlayer said:
Basement_Modder said:
This is the lulziest N64p EVER!

What do you guys mean by that? The ugliness or the wiring mess? The fact that it's been over a year and still not done?

Well, it's almost done. All I have to do is put on the back cover and screw it all together.

But there is one problem. It doesn't work. I think the problem is with the power circuitry, since NOTHING turns on. I'll check it out tomorrow, but for today I'm just going to relax.

Great, power wiring is being screwy again. First it didn't work. Then it worked. Then I plugged in the power supply the battery pack came with. Then it didn't work. Then it worked. Now it doesn't work. Before it worked when plugged in directly, now it doesn't even do that.

*Can'tSayThisOnTV*, I hate this flax.

Okay, I redo the power wiring. Still *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed. Look at some other flax. Nope, still dead.

So I open another N64. What a pain in the ass, those pens stink. *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing NUS-CPU-08. So I trade it with my dad's N64. Open it. *Can'tSayThisOnTV*! Another -08. Well, just going to have to use it anyway. There was one screw that I couldn't get out.

First I try a Philips. Nope. Then another. Still no. It's kinda stripped so I try the blade screwdriver on my Retract-a-bit mini. It's now twisted and has a chip out of one corner. My favorite screwdriver, irreplacable. And now it has a *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ed up small blade. Don't say I can get another one. The new ones are not the same; they are just cheap flax.

I have about a week to finish this. The thing is, I want to show it to the guys at robotics club before they graduate and leave my life forever. I don't know if I can anymore. If I'd started sooner instead of being an idiot and waiting for it to "wake up", I'd have a way better chance.

With all the money I've pissed away on this stupid crap, I could have had a good netbook that would actually be portable and would do a bunch of other stuff too. Instead I have a big piece of flax.

Oh, and remember the Dreamcast I bought? Worst *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing decision ever. I could have had a 360, and I really *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing want to play Halo 3. In fact, I could probably make do with only my XBOX for consoles. I never play any of them. The XBOX can emulate just about everything, and I always have my PC.

You know Candytop? Well, the only reason it won't look like utter flax is because my dad is doing about 90% of the work.

This isn't a goodbye, or an I'm leaving. I'll finish this portable, then I'm done with portabilizing. I'll stay here for the community, because I have no god Dang life in real life.

Sigh, I'm going to bed now.

Well, maybe things aren't that bad. I've trimmed my board and removed the ports. Still have to remove and relocate cart slot and rewire. Also fix the slot (it's loose) and glue on the back, but those come after.

YAY! It's working! I still have to test the shoulder buttons, though, and put it together. Still have my fingers crossed.

Also, fan or no fan? The thing is, the heatsinks I'm using are REALLY ghetto (heat blocks with holes in them) and there's pretty much no ventilation. But I only sort of have space for a fan.

If you want to get a better looking portable in the end I have a ready for N64 ZN-40 or 45 top (they are the same)
13.jpg

This was only the first coat of paint.
It looks real good now, and I removed that little piece of bondo from the B button.

Back