What Classes are you taking next year?

In my second year of Marine Biology at Uni. Only real highlight is 2 weeks in Uganda next Easter for fieldwork. :awesome:

AfroLH said:
eurddrue said:
Anybody can be popular, it's hard to be a nerd.

That is a very skewed view. Believe me, when you have a low self-esteem due to bullying, it is very hard to be social.
It took me a good 3 years to get a higher self-esteem. Even now, I still suffer. I cannot approach people unless I am with someone I trust.
And I went to public school.
So no, it isnt hard to be a "nerd" It depends on the person. Some people have social issues that keep them from making friends,
Anyone can say the "F" word really loud in class, refuse to go to the principle's office, then fart really loud and be popular. Anyone can pretend that they're "too cool" to do something and be popular. Anyone can follow a group around and be popular. Not everybody can be smart :awesome:

eurddrue said:
AfroLH said:
eurddrue said:

That is a very skewed view. Believe me, when you have a low self-esteem due to bullying, it is very hard to be social.
It took me a good 3 years to get a higher self-esteem. Even now, I still suffer. I cannot approach people unless I am with someone I trust.
So no, it isnt hard to be a "nerd" It depends on the person. Some people have social issues that keep them from making friends,
Anyone can say the "F" word really loud in class, refuse to go to the principle's office, then fart really loud and be popular. Anyone can pretend that they're "too cool" to do something and be popular. Anyone can follow a group around and be popular. Not everybody can be smart :awesome:

I thought you meant Nerd as in a non-popular person.

eurddrue said:
AfroLH said:
eurddrue said:

+1

@Afro-I get where you're coming from. Up until first grade, I went to a christian school and was tormented every day. You just have to learn to trust people again, but if something doesn't feel right: be on your toes and ready to fight.

Haven't gotten my schedule yet, but at my school my computer classes suck, so I'm taking an open block and doing some online classes for the area tech. college. :)

alright, here's my actual schedule:
71111 ECE 220 001 Signals and Systems I
71112 ECE 220 201 Signals and Systems I
71115 ECE 220 301 Signals and Systems I
73506 MATH 214 001 Elementary Differential Equat
72527 PHYS 261 204 University Physics II Lab
71689 STAT 346 001 Probability for Engrs

eurddrue said:
AfroLH said:
eurddrue said:

Also people will laugh at and pick on nerds.
It can be quite difficult to truly be into something when it's so easy for people to use it against you.

Kickback said:
eurddrue said:
AfroLH said:
eurddrue said:

Also people will laugh at and pick on nerds.
It can be quite difficult to truly be into something when it's so easy for people to use it against you.
people smell weakness and go after insecurities. There are certain things for what people will pick on you, but if you show signs of conviction rather than insecurity, it will die down. If you are secure in yourself, then there's not much others can do to bring you down.

There was a kid in my middle/high school who had many geeky tendencies and interests, but at the same time was hanging out with other jocks. You could see someone new to him would sometimes try to cut him down because of his interest in, for example, pokemon (can't remember if he did outwardly enjoy it), but he was confident enough that he'd turn it around into a good thing and it was never brought up again. Confidence in oneself is the key.

Back