What Classes are you taking next year?

J.D said:
My high school has 173 people :razz:
Geeze, you've got nothing! My elementary school had 65 or so kids in my grade. And then multiply that by however many feeder schools went into my elementary school and you get several hundred kids, which is again, just in my grade. And then multiply that by however many other feeder schools went to my high school and you've got a graduating class of 800 or so kids. That's not even counting the 3 other classes. And its not like schools were few and far between, either. There was another high school equally as close to me as the one I went to, and another one maybe 10 minutes away from the one I went to.

I have you all beat - my school has two students, myself included. Two!

That said, I'm going to be a Junior, and I'll probably be taking the standard English, Science, and History... and is it Trigonometry that comes after Algebra 2? Because I'll be taking that. Not sure what electives are available this year, but I know for a fact they're all going to suck. I guess it's just a matter of picking the least boring of them all, which last year was Consumer Mathematics. Breezed through it.

Home-schooling FTW! I really wish I had been when I was growing up; would have gotten so much more out of my education. Ah well, that's why we're home-schooling our kids.

I'm in my third year of obtaining my PhD, just another six to go! (Where's that shoot-me-in-the-head avatar...) For right now, I'm going about 3/4 time, so for fall quarter I'm taking rather pedestrian courses - World Civilization I, American History I, and a basic circuitry course.

spanish 2-A
CP math 10-A
Spanish 2-B
agricultural mechanics 1
CP english 10-1
Biology 1
CP english 10-2
Web design
CP math 10-B
Biology 2
Phys ed 1
foundation in art
CP social studies 10-2
music history
cp social studies 10-1

I'm a sophmore

I am jealous of the class options you guys have - I took a "computer graphics" course in my Junior year, the first year it became available. I was thinking it would be something, well, you know, computer-related. Negative! We molded things out of clay, and used the computer ONCE the entire year... to print a graphic for a box we packaged our clay-molded products into. I introduced TruSpace (blech) to the teacher, and he was like :omg: He was going to talk to the board about implementing it, but it never went anywhere.

The high school I went to was considered among the best in our state (Pickerington,) and yet... we had some of the worst options, unless you loved theater/band/sports, and all three I hated.

robm said:
Home-schooling FTW! I really wish I had been when I was growing up; would have gotten so much more out of my education. Ah well, that's why we're home-schooling our kids.

I'm in my third year of obtaining my PhD, just another six to go! (Where's that shoot-me-in-the-head avatar...) For right now, I'm going about 3/4 time, so for fall quarter I'm taking rather pedestrian courses - World Civilization I, American History I, and a basic circuitry course.
there's so much social development you miss out on from home-schooling.

Maybe 50 years ago :funny:

Thanks to the interwebs, there's all sorts of social gathers and such just for the purpose that you can find. I've got my daughter enrolled in Home School gym, she's in Girl Scouts, and we have a local park that does group education events all the time.

I will admit that there are some CRAZIES in the groups, though. Absolutely insane. (OMG the world will kill you if you're outside long enough YOU'RE GONNA GET SHOT OMG OMG kind of people. Me and the wife have much more... pedestrian... reasons for homeschooling.)

Basement_Modder said:
Well, they probably can't afford to pay people to teach all these things at a school that maxed-out at 12 students. :lol2:

I kid, I kid. But seriously, NO OPTIONS?!? :wtf2:
Our school has more computers than we do children. We get lots of oil revenue from all of the surrounding oil wells. Now if only the economy would spike again... ;)

And, please, do not homeschool your children. Many homeschooled children come to our school because it is so small, and oh my god, they're unbearable. They don't know how to interact with people their own age; they only have experience with people much older or much younger than themselves, so act super immature, or way stuck up and mature.

eurddrue said:
Basement_Modder said:
Well, they probably can't afford to pay people to teach all these things at a school that maxed-out at 12 students. :lol2:

Our school has more computers than we do children. We get lots of oil revenue from all of the surrounding oil wells. Now if only the economy would spike again... ;)

And, please, do not homeschool your children. Many homeschooled children come to our school because it is so small, and oh my god, they're unbearable. They don't know how to interact with people their own age; they only have experience with people much older or much younger than themselves, so act super immature, or way stuck up and mature.

Some parents have their reasons. I personally know a few homeschooled kids, and they're just like any other normal kid their age.

robm said:
I will admit that there are some CRAZIES in the groups, though. Absolutely insane. (OMG the world will kill you if you're outside long enough YOU'RE GONNA GET SHOT OMG OMG kind of people. Me and the wife have much more... pedestrian... reasons for homeschooling.)

Yeah, there was this one kid at my elementary school who had to stay inside every day for recess from Kindergarden-6th grade because his parents didn't allow him to go outside due to the risk of gun violence. :rolleyes:

Basement_Modder said:
eurddrue said:
Basement_Modder said:

Some parents have their reasons. I personally know a few homeschooled kids, and they're just like any other normal kid their age.
I knew some home-schooled kids as well and they weren't quite socially normal. I'd say a couple years behind socially, as well as being a little more introverted due to less contact with peers.

Homeschooling can work out fine, but the major aspect of school is the social aspect, is it not?

It's all skills your going to need in the future either way, alot more than just general knowledge.

eurddrue said:
or way stuck up and mature.

We had her in public school for two years, and it was a fail - her reading, writing, math, and comprehension skills were so far ahead of everyone else in her class she literally had no common ground to make any friends. She made one with a kid from the Dominican Republic, which was nice, but her parents were shady (whole bunch of people living in one house, they wanted our kid to go over there but wouldn't give us their phone number, etc...)

Trust me, in our situation, home schooling is a far better alternative to what she was doing. I grew up thinking that home schooled kids were freaking strange, but that's for a reason - usually, parents that home school are either VERY far right-wing political/religious fanatics (hence your stuck-up homeschoolers,) or you have the hippie, weird parents that home school so that their kids don't get "infected" by vaccines and get "brought down by the system" ... or whatever. The kids that come out from it ok have the parents because they either live in areas where they live aren't so good and the schools aren't great (us,)
or the kids are doing horrible in school and shouldn't be there, for whatever reasons.

My parents are very far right wing, yet I'm not a stuck up douche, I don't wear a tux to school and carry a briefcase around that has nothing in it. *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ing homeschoolers. That kid got the flax scared out of him, then never came back. :mrgreen:

So I'm way ahead of everybody else, so what? Your girl wasn't trying hard enough. Anybody can be popular, it's hard to be a nerd.

eurddrue said:
Anybody can be popular, it's hard to be a nerd.

That is a very skewed view. Believe me, when you have a low self-esteem due to bullying, it is very hard to be social.
It took me a good 3 years to get a higher self-esteem. Even now, I still suffer. I cannot approach people unless I am with someone I trust.
And I went to public school.
So no, it isnt hard to be a "nerd" It depends on the person. Some people have social issues that keep them from making friends,

I'm kinda socially retarded (I blame my aspergers and my stuttering and my minor speech slurring). Talking to a girl is impossibly difficult, almost as difficult as walking into a room with 20 people or talking to someone I know personally in a public place. Dang. And I go to public school. I know a kid that was homeschooled (a girl named Louise, some girl from the Philippines) and she is no different from any other girl her age.

Back