The afternoon projects thread

I ghetto-d a reflow oven for $20...

Got a digital thermometer for $14 and a toaster over for $6

Took apart and cleaned the toaster oven real good, then looked at it for a bit after realising I didn't pay attention when pulling wires out.

Spent about 45 minutes guess where wires go until I was happy.

Then I put it back together...

Then I drilled a hole in the side of the thing and shoved the thermometer in there.

Yeah, project done. Anyone that doesn't agree can go hide in a corner somewhere.

I'm stealing the credit for giving ttsgeb the idea of that reflow toaster oven.

Again, I'm stealing the credit ,
That credit is mine now, you cant have it back.

I'm not letting you have the credit. I'm guarding it with a shotgun until Herma comes around to get it.

Events of Monday, the Seventh of May:

I said:
So... I'm scared to use my oven for cooking now.
So I'll just keep using it to bake electronics until I'm feeling up to cleaning it.
Herma said:
Looool
I see.
get a toaster oven

Events of Tuesday, the Eighth of May:

Mr. Hooker said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCGzKDTFBSQ&feature=sh_e_se&list=SL :ninj:

Happy to set things straight.
If anyone is getting credit for the idea for a project that I've yet to actually test, it's someone I like Herma.

I just had to pull this little bugger out of my phone because he was causing problems...

wp001166.jpg

It's a great feeling taking a cheap soldering iron to a smartphone.

Basically, that's the lock/power button, and should be normally open, however... it decided it had a change of heart, and became *almost* always closed.

I tried cleaning it... then I said *Can'tSayThisOnTV* it, and got rid of it.
Maybe I'll put a squishy tact on it at some point just because, until then, I have my own secret ways to use it. :D

I cut of my PSP charging cord to make a USB charging cord :)
img_4376_204040264.jpg

The main reason is so I can use it with the solarpanel USB charger I made last year. And it works, althrough it wont charge while the system is powered on. :(
img_4373_204040520.jpg

Don't worry, I didn't just ruin a PSP chargecord :). The cable was an USB extension cord and the other end is on the cord from the wall so I can just plug it in and charge through wallpower

Cool, but iirc you can just do a one-wire mod that lets you charge with the mini-USB port already built into the PSP. Still, I can see this being convenient if you own multiple PSPs and the like.

My sister's birthday is in a few days, amd since I'm not rolling in the dough at the moment, I decided to make her something with the parts I had.
I made her a universal USB altoids charger.
Internals:
Hm7ool.jpg

Pth08000 for the 5v line so it's very efficient. Rechargeable 2500mah li-ion cells.
Outside:
C6YNCl.jpg

Charge jack, USB port, and a switch to go between charging the batteries and charging through USB.
Resistor mess:
jfwmtl.jpg

Since I wanted to make it "universal" I had to make a voltage divider so it could charge apple devices too. It's messy, but it works like a charm.
My bro SS was nice enough to send me resistors so I wouldn't have to buy packages of 50 from eBay :p

So yeah, I think she'll like it.

More updates on the ghetto-bike 64!

It now runs some super-awesome watercooling. It has brass tubes running through the engine's cooling fins, and a heatsink on top that water runs over. A water bottle acts as the reservoir, and the pump is from a car's windshield sprayers.

2r60a3c.jpg

The box the heatsink is contained in is soldered together from NES shielding. There are zero leaks, but it's starting to rust a bit. I'll need to think a way to stop, or at least slow down, that process.
azdukj.jpg

The water first runs through the tubing on the engine, then runs over the heatsink.
30huc1i.jpg

Water (bottle) reservoir.
2a965qb.jpg

2w1tbtd.jpg

This is amazing... but why?

And does it actually seem to make much of a difference?

Why - I slacked off in a class and now I need to take summer school. This is my only ride there and back so it needs to stay cool. (School is out at 1::3:0, practically the hottest part of the day.)

Effectiveness - It seems to do pretty well. The water bottle is pretty warm after ~5-10 minutes of riding, so it's clearly doing its job. It's probably at least somewhat better than just air cooling.

You could strap a peltier cooling unit to the side of the water bottle and have a small heat sink stick out the side of you bike for air cooling of the hot side

Back