The afternoon projects thread

Felt like streaming some games from my 3DS but don't have a good webcam. Figured I could just stream video straight from my iPhone to twitch.tv or through a webcam app but I don't have an iphone tripod, so I rigged this little stand up.
545832_3205493930398_1057637146_32506610_910732470_n.jpg

had some extra styrene sheets left over from when I was vac-forming my case and I wasn't going to use it for anything else :p

I built a little setup to help testing AA and AAA batteries. It uses an old CD-ROM drive to slide back and forth with contacts for each polarity on the battery. It is also "springloaded" with rubberbands.
pic_0010_198455544.jpg

It not that pretty but does what its supposed to do, so im happy
I also made a quick video if anyone feel like watching it in action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYjenroRbos

It's defiantly cool but seems a little bit over board for testing batteries.... but still a better solution then what I have (aka none)

Working on sticking a laptop mobo in an NES and I had to trim a small part of the board where the VGA was. I had to relocate a diode and had to solder one end of it to one of the inner layers:

4kd6io.jpg

The black box on the bottom is the surface mount diode. The wire is 32 gauge solid-core IDE cable. VGA output worked after that! :awesome: I'll post the computer when it's done, but I just wanted to show you guys that for now.

Decided I needed a table... I had scrap wood, so I my saw and my drill and 30 minutes later had this:
wp001094.jpg

wp001084.jpg

I completely eyeballed cutting this in half. :D looks pretty accurate to me.
wp001083.jpg

wp001081.jpg

Contrary to what DAT LEG may have to believe, it's actually rather sturdy. :D Also, it makes for a great table/bench.

Got bored and made an Altoids tin urban survival kit type thing. Turned out decent.

Outside:
IMG_20120430_194233.jpg

Inside:
IMG_20120430_194313.jpg

Kit contains: $1 in quarters taped to lid, full sheet of notebook paper, 5 rubber bands, 3 large paper clips, 1 small paper clip, small phillips head screwdriver, miniature Bic pen, pencil eraser, breath strips, small bit of metal wire, Orbit gum, 2gb micro SD card with USB and SD adapters, and some note cards.

I was going to put some Advil and Advil cold & sinus, but my high school doesn't allow us to carry medication on our person.

AbyssPWNS said:
I was going to put some Advil and Advil cold & sinus, but my high school doesn't allow us to carry medication on our person.
They honestly don't care as long as you don't sell it, snort it, or show everyone. Unless it's a handful of teachers that are complete pricks you know to avoid.

P.S. I'm going to copy you.

I made one of those a while ago. Here's what it had originally:

8x4oau.jpg

jpimo6.jpg

I ended up taking out the battery and LED's, because, let's face it, they're just not that useful. I added a small pair of pliers instead.

Meh... I just keep a pocketknife, a flashlight, and a keychain can-opener in my left pocket; and a small notebook, a pen, and a pencil in my back pocket.

I've used em all on multiple occasions... but I may be putting a needle and thread in my notebook now just because that seems useful.

I used to have a little Nightmare Before Christmas coffin shaped tin that I would stuff with pens, paper, quarters and games when I was about 10. I was lookin' fly with a huge tin coffin sticking out the front of my front pocket.

My aunt used to work at a hearing aid company, and one day she brought me a hearing aid bag. It was pretty slick. I stuffed it full of string, paper clips, money, and some other paraphanelia. I felt like a boss carrying it in my pocket.

Admit it guys, we all had one of these when we were 10, and we all knew we were prepared for an apocalypse. :p

SonyQrio said:
My aunt used to work at a hearing aid company, and one day she brought me a hearing aid bag. It was pretty slick. I stuffed it full of string, paper clips, money, and some other paraphanelia. I felt like a boss carrying it in my pocket.

Admit it guys, we all had one of these when we were 10, and we all knew we were prepared for an apocalypse. :p

Whoa. Exact same story here, except my bag was a leather Jacks bag.

Full. Leather. Badassery.

Back