The afternoon projects thread

Opened up my computer to clean it and install a few things. I wasted a ton of canned air before I realized that the filter could be removed and washed. I also taped up the side vent and removed the top fan. I know it sounds backwards, but this way all the air is pulled through the front fans and the filter. The serial port bracket didn't have a long enough cable so I couldn't install it :( The USB/Firewire one worked, sort of. The Firewire half didn't even fit into the connector on the motherboard, it was like inverted or something. I cut it off and threw it in the bin. I tried to install the USB part alone (hacksawed off), but a screw got in the way. So I pulled it off, filed the ex-Firewire holes bigger, and stuck the USB ports there. Now I have a clean, more aerodynamically efficient case and some extra USB ports. Sadly, it now has a totally different acoustic profile, including a really annoying rumbling. I think it's the bottom fan blowing on the PSU cables, maybe I'll do something about it tomorrow.

I also assembled a Minecraft server with some old and some new parts. Core 2 Duo E6300 (used), MSI G41 motherboard (new), 4GB Patriot DDR3 (new), 320GB Seagate SATA HDD (used), SPI 400W PSU (new), ASUS DVD-RAM drive (used), random floppy drive (used) and a cute little Compaq enclosure (used). With the exception of the floppy drive, none of the parts are original, and the specs sticker that was still on it when I got it is now a total lie.

Mpgs, anyone? $40 And 3 hours got me this. Lets see what it does for me...
wp000560.jpg

wp000561.jpg

ttsgeb said:
Im gonna go with 'Makes your truck look incredibly stupid and nets you no noticeable gain in MPGs.'

samjc3 said:
ttsgeb said:
Im gonna go with 'Makes your truck look incredibly stupid and nets you no noticeable gain in MPGs.'
Except that it can gain you a couple MPGs, which is a lot when your starting in the teens.

If that is just loose cloth over a frame, make sure it is as tight as you can get it. I'm not sure if the gap between the cab and the cover is big enough to need to be sealed in some way, but it can't hurt to do it anyway.

samjc3 said:
ttsgeb said:

I get 16 Mpg Highway with a completely empty truck at 70mph.

If I throw a couch and a literal ton of stuff in the bed, and throw a tarp over it all, I get 20.

This weighs 30 lbs.

I'm hoping for around 24 mpg highway, and I have a 350 mile drive on Friday to test it on.

Also, it looks pretty badass, and I don't care what anyone else thinks.

vskid, it is stretched as tight as I could reasonably get it while still maintaining the halfassedness. It barely bellows up when driving 70.
If this turns out to work well, and I keep my truck for a while, I'll likely make a fiberglass and aluminum one that blends in with the curves of the truck and is painted to match.

that's an inverse storm trooper. Dark where it should be white and bright where it should be dark. You should be ashamed of yourself.

:awesome:

grossaffe said:
that's an inverse storm trooper. Dark where it should be white and bright where it should be dark. You should be ashamed of yourself.

:awesome:
lern2shadowstormtrooper

:p

grossaffe said:
do you normally drive with your tailgate down?

http://www.trucktrend.com/features/cons ... index.html
The tailgate is down in the picture for the same reason that the door is open... I had just finished working on it, and hadn't put everything up yet.

You can do more research on it if you really care. Just know, it's a bad idea.

I went from getting 15-17 highway to getting 17-20 highway over a 400 mile trip with this bed cover.

I call this a success.

Personal DMG by nterror, on Flickr

Backlit, biverted, and pro-sounded my new Play It Loud DMG.

The V3 backlight by nonelectronics is amazing! I'm very happy with how this came out.

That's actually the lemondrop colored backlight, which is a nice orange color. Not yellow-green like the picture.

Made gingerbread cookies yesterday. Most of them were pretty boring, but...

2emep13.jpg

To make the Androids, I actually printed out a pattern and traced it on a flat piece of dough with a knife. It worked out pretty well.

EDIT: Crap, meant to quote.

Back