Soldering Iron Left Plugged In: Chances of survival?

XCVG

ModRetro Legend
Okay, I did something epically stupid. :(

I left my soldering iron plugged in. For like a day at least. Epic stupid. I just found out. :cry: :eek:

Anyway, this thing cost me like $50. What are it's chances of survival? It's a Weller WP25, 25 watts, 750 degrees temperature controlled. It was still spurting out heat when I found it was plugged in, so does that mean it's fine? Or do they die afterwards?

Should I flash-cool it or just let it cool off?

Am I overreacting?

grossaffe said:
Wouldn't be surprised if the tip oxidized a bit.

Dang, that super-fine tip cost me $7 and shipping (part of an order of other stuff).

samjc3 said:
it should be fine. they are designed to be hot for long periods of time. ;)

Yeah, that's good to hear.

I'm surprised one of you guys hasn't burnt your house down yet. In my disasterous work area, if I left my iron on, chances are something would make it fall and I (not to metion my pole barn ) would be screwed over.

:lol: I leave mine on all day most of the time, just ask PalmerTech :lol: I think it really does shorten the life of it though, because after a couple months they just POP! and never work again. :cry:

themadhacker said:
I'm surprised one of you guys hasn't burnt your house down yet. In my disasterous work area, if I left my iron on, chances are something would make it fall and I (not to metion my pole barn ) would be screwed over.

There's nothing to make mine fall, but my work area is a mess. I have no trouble working in it though. One time I had to clear off an are to mod that Wii screen and my dad was like "It's still a mess" and I was like "Are you kidding? This is insanely roomy!"

Back on topic, do you guys use cheap Ratshack irons or brand-name good ones? Because I heard that good ones are tougher for this type of abuse somewhere. For your information, it's a Weller WP25 (temperature controlled, does that help?).

I got a cheap 30w one after my last one popped, and while it solders faster (melts it quicker and stuff like that) the handle gets really hot and burns me sometimes :cry:

Right now, I'm using a digital Radioshack unit, and I must say I'm extremely happy with it - so far. The "stylus" is extremely nimble, and the digitally adjustable temperature is fantastically handy.

eurddrue, there are iron condoms you can get, they're like rubber sleeves you put on the handle. I'm almost positive Radioshack doesn't carrry them, but I'm sure you can get them online somewhere.

Back