NintenGO 64

Looks great! Can't wait!! SS got me into portables! Found him by youtube. Also, SS I was looking for you gba sp headphone jack pinout here and benheck but couldn't find it. Could post the link?

- Ian

The step-down regulator came in, but I blew the motherboard (Had wiring REVERSED), then a pin on one of the A/V's broke, so back-up motherboard's gone. Wired up the third and last Mobo, and it turned on. But no picture or sound. I hooked it up to the TV, and got the same results. I think it could be the cart relocation. I checked, and double checked, and saw no pins touching each other, but just to be sure, I'm going to remove and resolder them. I took apart the third Mobo, a YEAR and three months ago. It sat in my tool box for that long, taken apart, so I don't know if my Mobo is "sleeping". Hey, the +5v near the A/V pins, I don't need to do anything with those right? Any way, I'm going to Rip and Replace the Cart slot again...I don't know what the Heck is going on. :confused:

trace the pin back to those little resisors on the bottom of the board and solder to the pad in fron of it.

pic
http://img243.imageshack.us/i/101710.jpg/

the video is the third trace from the left the two to the left of it are l and R audio and you also need ground but you can pull that from anywhere on the board.

Also useful:
HwtqF.jpg

You might have a different arrangement depending on revision, but this still works. You can't fry anything here, so just experiment. If you get a fuzzy signal, try the other side of the cap.

I relocated and still got nothing. Beta, I'm going to try your wiring setup. Remember, I'm using a 3.5" screen, not a PSOne screen, Can't I ground the A/V on the batteries, or the ground on the screen? I still don't know whats wrong! And when I insert the cartridge, the LED on the N64 dims a little, and sometimes it doesn't. My batteries put out 8.4v max. And even when I hook it up to the TV, I get the same results. LED comes on, no Video and no Audio. Is the motherboard bad?

*EDIT* <Professors Voice> GOOD NEWS EVERYONE! I tried Beta's setup and I finally got Video! The screen comes on now! But the bad news is the Games wont boot, so all I get is an "No Signal" screen. I checked my relocation and it's spot on, and suggestions? </Professors voice>

check your av connection and make sure you wired it right... everything needs to be grounded and ! make sure the n64 isnt fried.... rcp test it

Guys, I'm gonna lose it.

So I decided to use a brand new motherboard (Sorry Tails. He's my little brother) and tested it BEFORE I took it apart. It worked. Opened it, left everything intact except the large heatsink. Tested it, it worked. removed Cart slot, but kept the EXT slot in, wired external cart slot to pins. Tested it, it worked. Hooked up batteries and 3.5" screen, tested it, it worked. Removed EXT. slot. Tested it, it worked.

Bent cart slot to the back of the Mobo. Tested it, it didn't work. Moved it back to normal position. Tested it, it worked. Then some of the wires came loose, resoldered. Tested it, Doesn't work. I figured since I used a mix of strong/thick and weak/thin wires, I should just put all strong/thick wires. Did that. Tested it, it didn't work. Got pissed, removed ALL wires. Cleaned the contacts and placed the original slot into the holes. Soldered the slot pins to it's corresponding pins on the board. Tested it, it doesn't work. I am at the inch of my sanity. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Why does everyone's else's work but mine don't? Pics below:

A/V Pins

Cart Pins

Cart Pins #2

Top of Mobo

Power Pins

Top of Board #2

Top Of Board #3

Top Of Board #4

A/V (Top)

Full Board (top)

I'm completely losing it. I'm in a mix of depression and anger. Seeing you guys get yours done, then seeing mine fail so incoherently is really hurting me. I put too much money into this project for it to be acting so retarded. Please. Any and all help appreciated. Fried 3 Mobo's. If this one is fried, I don't know what I'll do

dont quote me as i havent built a n64 portable before, but I think the rule is to keep the wires from the cart slot under two inches

Solder splats anywhere? Are there conductive bits of crap on it? Maybe the cart slot is the problem? Maybe a marginal solder joint? Jumper pak in? Cartridge the right way? Power and AV hooked up correctly?

I know you probably already checked all that, but I'm just trying to be helpful. I've missed some pretty obvious flax myself.

On the inside of the cartridge (the side where the game goes in), are any of the pins sideways? If so, you may need to replace the cartridge connector.

How come you've bridged all the connections on the bottom of the board?

image166x.jpg

You really don't need to do this :confused:

Personally, I'd strip off all the cart relocation wiring, shorten by an inch and carefully resolder it back to the board. Also, use the same wire throughout the relocation. In fact, ditch the wire your using and get some IDE cable and start over.

Once finished, ensure that there are NO bridges in any of connections on the board.

Good luck!! :cool:

clarky said:
How come you've bridged all the connections on the bottom of the board?

image166x.jpg

You really don't need to do this :confused:

Personally, I'd strip off all the cart relocation wiring, shorten by an inch and carefully resolder it back to the board. Also, use the same wire throughout the relocation. In fact, ditch the wire your using and get some IDE cable and start over.

Once finished, ensure that there are NO bridges in any of connections on the board.

Good luck!! :cool:

Everyone. The cart has been placed back inside on its ORIGINAL position on the motherboard. The bridged connections you see are the pins of the cart slot being soldered to the pins on the motherboard. Like so:

So wire thickness and length should not be a problem. I'm going to clean contacts and wipe the Mobo with anti-static cloth. Hey Beta (if your there) is there ground on the wiring diagram you showed me? Ground for A/V that is, maybe the pins under the A/V slot were over soldered too and got damaged. I know I'm starting to sound stupid, but I'm in a emotional panic mode. I really want this portable done. Done RIGHT, but i'm starting to freak out over it. Again everyone, thanks for assisting :sweat:

EDIT: By the way, I'm testing it by hooking up the ORIGINAL A/V plug to the slot, and using my television.

Back