I am this close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
jleemero said:
TechScreen19 said:
Well, it is ilegal if you don't own a legal copy of the game.
No, it's completely illegal to download Roms, etc.
Even if you own them.

Depends what country you live in! I'm pretty sure it's okay in Russia, China, most of Southeast Asia, and pretty much all of Africa.

In all seriousness, so what? Pretty much everyone I know steals music off limewire and torrents and such. It's insanely widespread, and nobody seems to give a Dang at all. Compared to music piracy and movie piracy, the kind of piracy those of us who download ROMs engage in is negligable. There isn't really that much interest in old games in comparison. And for the most part the big corporations don't make any money off games in comparison. So you can feel a little better about stealing games, or something like that. Just don't be bragging to your friends, because at least one of them is probably working for the man.

Then again, maybe I'm just being cynical?

bentomo said:
And how many people want to emulate when they have the game? (unless their n64 is broken)

You'd be surprised. Try running an N64 game with vastly increased resolution and a texture pack sometime. It's amazing in comparison.

I have my Saturn sitting three feet to the left of me. One of the first things I'm going to do once I get my new desktop built is try out some Saturn emulation.

Why? Well, why not?

jleemero said:
TechScreen19 said:
Well, it is ilegal if you don't own a legal copy of the game.
No, it's completely illegal to download Roms, etc.
Even if you own them.
Not true. When you own a copy of the original cartridge, it's a legal grey area, but when you don't, it's completely illegal.

Show me a PSP emulator than lets you only download certain ROMS and I'll show you a PSP emulator that's not illegal :dah:

There's only one PSP emulator that's not illegal and only lets you download certain ISOs, and that's the built-in PlayStation emulator developed by Sony.

Of course, a bit of custom firmware and you can play whatever PlayStation game you want.

mmm, custom firmware. It helps me to play the ps1 games I have that aren't on the playstation store yet!
and, in canada it's legal to download music, and legal to download games you own. and modchips are legal.

Seriously we're doing this again. :rolleyes:

It is NOT legal to download a Rom in most countries.

It is also NOT legal to rip a rom yourself if you own the game. That is copyright circumvention and has been illegal for a LONG time.

No-one is going to be arrested downloading roms or ripping them. But that doesn't make it legal and no amount of Internet BS that you repeat will make it legal.

Do it if you want to, enjoy it if you do. But don't try to justify it with BS and please do some research before repeating Internet BS.

if you own the rom its not illegal to download it... as long as you own the actual game you can download it as much as you want lol

Before we go any further on this legality discussion I must ask one thing.

Are any of you actually lawyers?

To end this retarded argument, yes, downloading ROMs is illegal, but really, who cares? The police won't bust down your door for downloading Super Mario World.

Joeyjoe9876 said:
if you own the rom its not illegal to download it... as long as you own the actual game you can download it as much as you want lol

That is Internet BS and a complete lie. Please look into things before you repeat them.

Games have copyright protection laws on them. What do you think happens when you download a rom. You are making a copy of it. That is against the law.

The law states you have the right to have a backup of a game you own. But the law states you cannot bypass copyright protection to make one. It's a catch 22 and they know it.

Joeyjoe9876 said:
That's like saying I own a bike, then I steal 4 bikes from a store. In court I said "but I already had a bike, isn't that legal?"

Desertman123 said:
Joeyjoe9876 said:
That's like saying I own a bike, then I steal 4 bikes from a store. In court I said "but I already had a bike, isn't that legal?"

we are talking about games not bikes, we all no if we steal a bike we will get in trouble lol. enough with the game crap hail pwned me its all over :lol:

Joeyjoe9876 said:
Desertman123 said:
Joeyjoe9876 said:

we are talking about games not bikes, we all no if we steal a bike we will get in trouble lol. enough with the game crap hail pwned me its all over :lol:
I'm making an analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back