Genesis 3 Portable Worklog - Progress starts on page 5.

Re: Genesis 3 Portable Worklog

Okay, I'm actually putting this off partially out of frustration. I cannot figure out how to comfortably mount my controller pcb. The buttons click down fine, but they keep rolling around.

I've tried several things. I tried hot-gluing the buttons straight to the tact switches, but the "clicker" keeps moving around on me. I tried putting some wires around the base of the buttons, and twisting the ends to make tabs that stick out inside the case. Then I used hot glue to make two tabs on the case. It's meant to lock the button in place so it can only move up or down, without rotating. But then the hot glue became too sticky and stuck to the button's tab, so it wouldn't move at all. I don't know at all what I'm doing. :oops:

I need HALP! :gonk:

Cut the button non-spin mechanisms out from the original controller and mount them inside of you case.

Actually make some proper tabs from scrap plastic or something instead of trying to ghetto rig it.

Okay, I've decided. I'm just going to order another six-button controller, and cut up it's pcb. The buttons will be easier to use in this case, and look a bit better. And I still get the original squishy feel instead of tacts.

I think I've got good idea for keeping the buttons from rotating. I can take some thick magnet wire and stick it through the base of the button, with two ends sticking out. Then I can make two small "walls" out of hot glue or melted plastic onto the case. When I pop the buttons in, they shouldn't be able to move.

For now, I'm going to just fill in my button holes with abs cement, and redo them entirely.

Yes, quite tragic. :cry: I really love the case I'm working with, but I don't think I'm going to be able to use it for a while.

I need a small 3.5 inch lcd, 4 high capacity 18650 cells, a protection circuit, a smart charger, and some other misc supplies. It's gonna run me somewhere in the ball park of $120, and I don't have that kind of cash right now. But I don't wanna abandon this portable. I really wanna finish it.

So to make things easier on myself (and my wallet), I'm going to use a psone screen and a psone casing to build this portable. This way, I can be more open-minded on the batteries I use, have more wiggle room for parts, and hopefully only spend about $70 or so. I can probably muster that much together in a few weeks, and buy my batteries and related crap.

The SL-68p will not fit an rcp wired n64p, if that's what you're thinking. Snowpenguin wanted to do the same thing, but a max-cut n64 board is still about half an inch too big.

That's what's truly tragic, because it's otherwise a perfect case.

I have an SL-68p and wanted to see the possibility of this working, the board fits if you cut it right but good luck with batteries and buttons It is possible though.

Don't worry, it's definitely doable. I just don't have the proper funding to finish this portable the way I want to. Like I said, I'm holding onto this awesome case for use on another day. It'll all fit, and I don't think you need to be all that experienced in order to fit everything inside. Just gotta be careful, that's all.

Only other update is that my controller mysteriously isn't working now. I haven't changed or modified the controller in any way, so I'm thinking by remover those black resistors from my mobo that I might've fried something. I'll look into it a bit more, and update when things get closer to fruition.

The SL-68p looks like it will fit an RCP wired n64.

But a non-rcp wired one is literally the tiniest amount too big to fit.

So you have to rcp wire it.

Yeah, I measured the board just now, and I was wrong.

An rcp wired n64 board (with jumper pak relocation) measures 9.3 cm by 13.5 cm, which will fit. You may have to remove the screw posts inside the case, but the board will fit.

I don't have the measurements for the hori mini pad's pcb, but from pictures it looks like it would fit well enough. Also, if you use ram sinks for cooling, you should be able to fit a 3.5 inch lcd, n64 board, and the mini pad all inside the case. I'm not sure that batteries will fit inside, or that you can have an internal cart slot. It would have to use an attachable casing for a cart slot, and that casing would possibly have to hold the batteries.

Meh, it's doable, but not worth it for the cart slot problem. If it weren't for the analog sticks and the heat sinks, you would be able to fit batteries inside as well. We can always dream, but considering most of us can't even solder to the chips in the first place, what's the point?

well, you could always use psp alalog sticks, to save space, but most people do not like those.

I will have the cart slot on the back with li-ion cells right below it. It will fit!!!!1!

I have one issue-I can't find a Dang hori minipad! I was planning on abs-cementing the front of the case in one piece to the front and putting the board under it like normal. Seemed simple enough, but I cannot for the life of me find a hori minipad! D:

Basement_Modder said:
I have one issue-I can't find a Dang hori minipad! I was planning on abs-cementing the front of the case in one piece to the front and putting the board under it like normal. Seemed simple enough, but I cannot for the life of me find a hori minipad! D:

Yep they are almost impossible to find now.

Back