Genesis 3 Portable Worklog - Progress starts on page 5.

Re: Genesis 3 Portable Worklog

Well, built an easy lm386, only took four parts from radioshack, plus a spare speaker I had on hand. If anyone wants to take a lookie, there's a schematic in the general info section.

Also, messed up my cart slot again, so another game genie is in the mail. So is a six button controller.

Looking forward to this.

I love audio amps, eh? So simple, yet so USEFUL! :awesome:

I just ordered two SL-68p cases from polycase. Not bad, 6 x 4 cases, you can get them 1 inch or an inch and half thick. Just really hoping my frankencase job looks okay.

Still in the process of redoing the cart slot, should have it done soon. Worked with Whell of Fortune, but no other games. I can't see a short, and my multimeter requires a wierd battery. So, I'll just need to redo it.

I rewired it with some floppy cables, my soldering looked great. Tested it with Wheel of Fortune, worked as normal. Sonic and NBA Showdown, no dice. At this point I got pissed and wanted to rip my connections out an start all over again. However, seeing as I've relocated it three times with no success, I looked at some mobo pics someone else had up.

Sorry Robm, stole your pic cause I don't have one. :p
stolenpic.jpg

Those two traces weren't connected to anything after I trimmed the board, so I took a couple of wires and reconnected them. Now everything works! :D

However, my 3.5 inch DX screen has failed me yet again. It gives me the same rolling image I get with the n64. So for now, I'll stick to prepping my controller and flattening mah caps. Should have the case in by Tuesday, so hopefully I have my case started next week.

I've also been thinking about trying out Hailrazer's button layout, but I'm kind of hesitant about it. It'll be the only way to fit in a six-button controller though, unless I opt out for using tacts instead..

AWESOME! back up again! one thing though... WHAT ABOUT MY COMPETITION FOR THE N64 IN A PSONE?

Genny always comes first... n64 will be next, for sure. Have you been doing anything with your psone case?

I'm adding the controls soon. I also got a replacement n64 :awesome:

Almost done slicing up my Genesis board. Here's progress so far:
GEDC0011.jpg

Just a couple more millimeters, and it'll snugly fit inside my SL-68p casing.

Since my screen was no good for this system, I'll have to wait longer to complete this. I only need a battery and a screen, and I'll be all squared away. Really hoping I don't fry my mobo after all this work.... :sweat:

did you remember to connect all the grounds together?

I can't tie my grounds together until I get the screen and battery in the mail. :rolleyes:

Also, I'm switching back to the three-button design. Six buttons won't fit well at all. And I don't like having this portable be landscape. I'm going portrait (DMG). More comfier to hold, plus my speakers won't be squished onto the bottom.

Portrait is probably my favorite way to orient a handheld, barring really big heavy ones that need the balance. And not many games need the 6 button pad, anyways.

I like the feel of portrait too. If I end up not liking it, there's always another case I can carve up.

No major update, I've been too lazy and a bit scared to finish trimming the board. If I end up trimming too much, I won't be able to have controls on my portable. :gonk: Then again, if I don't trim it, my portable will probably go unfinished. Procrastination only makes things worse, but tomorrow there will be some time.

just follow the controller traces then and find where they go to.

Bumpdate: Finally got off my ass and rewired the controls. I had to actually bypass about 11 resistors and one capacitor. I've tested it, everything still works fine. Now it's able to fit into it's case! :mrgreen:
GEDC0031.jpg

GEDC0034.jpg

Gotta start up on that case. I'm very cramped for room, so I'm probably going to use a 3.7v lipo with a step up regulator. I'm gonna need something above 3000 mah to get good playtime, however.

how about those 3.7v li-polys that hailrazer always links?

Nope. Sadly, I can't have a li-po flat cell inside. I don't even have the room for a 7mm thick battery. However, in the empty space near the top of the case, I will be able to fit an 18650 li-ion. I'm in the process of finding one with a protection circuit built in, that is above 2600 mah. I'll settle for a 2600 mah if I have to, but I was really hoping to get at least 3 hours of play time.

EDIT: Actually, if I relocate a couple of capacitors, it may be possible to use flat li-pos. The ones in hailrazer's tutorial are 4700 mah, which would easily give me three hours with a step up regulator. :cool: I think I'm going to give it a shot.

There is no way it is anywhere near 2600mah. Remember that we BARELY have 2600mah AA cells at 1.2v, you really think the tech exists to triple the voltage and keep the capacity n that size? ;) I would wager it is closer to 900-1000mah.

Oh, bummer. Thanks for the tip about batteries, I'm still in the learning process about some of this stuff. I was just about to buy those, too!

Actually, if zeturi was talking about 18650 cells then a 2600mAh capacity is not far-fetched at all.

Cylindrical li-ion cells are named for their dimensions, an 18650 is 18mm in diameter and 65mm long. A 14500 cell is most similar in size to an AA cell 14mm x 50mm, and is indeed only available with about 900mAh.

For a current drain under 1A, these 18650 cells: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.21474 will give you very close to 3000mAh and have a protection circuit built in.

Back