Genesis 3 Portable Worklog - Progress starts on page 5.

Re: Genesis 3 Portable Worklog

DAFTMIKE I LOVE YOU! :)

I saw those before, and thought about them. But I know that a lot of batteries don't have the capacity that they advertise. Have you used these before? If not, then I'll probably just order a run of the mill 2.6 amp one from ebay.

I've used them in a torch and they performed quite well, but I haven't done any scientific tests.
By all accounts they give around 2800-2900mAh at low currents (<1A) but have a high internal resistance and don't do well much above 2A.

I swear, you're like my favorite member Daftmike.

I am still suspicious of that rating, but I believe you, Mike. :awesome:

That's the problem with battery ratings, even if you disregard the eBay/Hong Kong sellers who flat out lie, battery capacity is measured under very specific conditions.
They are often rated at 0.2C discharge, but not always, and higher currents give a much lower capacity.
Also a li-poly cell in a typical portable case will lose around 10% of it's rated capacity just because of the higher temperature inside the case.

It all makes it very tricky to choose a battery if you've got a runtime in mind, you might have to concede that the battery you thought would give you 3 hours only gives you 2 and a half. :(

That's okay, even if that may be true, I'm really over exaggerating about how much amperage is used.

Oh yeah... I also scrapped the old case front. It was too ugly to see the light of day, so I just decided to start fresh with the backup. Here's what I've got done so far:
GEDC0055.jpg

The two holes near the bottom corners will be for the volume knob and the select button.

EDIT: And I believe I will have the cartridges insert gameboy-style, as well. The carts should only stick out about 3mm on each side, This will give me enough room to use better batteries. Either going to be using 4 18650s or two flat li-pos. Probably going to use whatever is cheaper. :hand: ;)

I fit in a six-button!

GEDC0060.jpg

I think I'll have room for 4 18650 cells, which (when wired in a series and parallel) should get me at least 5 hours depending on which ones I buy.

I know I haven't posted in this topic yet (I really should have before), but... Dang, that's sexy! I also really like the combination of the A/B/C buttons from a three-button controller with the X/Y/Z buttons from a six-button. It looks fantastic!

Can't wait to see it completed!

guessing its gonna be about the size of a DMG? either way this is gonna be freaking small!

I kind of eye-balled where to make the holes at, and made a dot with a sharpie (where the center of the button will be). Once it all looked even, I made a small incision with my dremel, and then made it a bit bigger using sanding drums.

As I'm grinding, I try to make sure the holes are circular for the most part. To be certain that the holes won't be oblong, I hold the button on the other side of where I'm cutting to see how much more needs to be sanded down for the button to fit, and sand down a bit more slowly.

As the hole reaches a closer diameter to the button, I try to push the button into the hole to see if it will fit. It should not be able to fit unless the hole is nearly finished. You are nearly finished if you are able to get the button inside, but it's a very snug fit. Just lightly brush the sanding drum along the edges of the hole for a few seconds at a time. Just keep on trying the button every few seconds.

Once the button drops in easily, you are done. As long as you take your time and use the button to reference the hole size every once in a while, you shouldn't have any problems. After all, this is my first time doing case work for a portable. If, however, the holes are cut too big, or are slightly oblong, abs cement or plastic bondo should solve the problem.

EDIT: Corrected some iffy spelling, and added a parentheses in the first paragraph. Please let me know if you understood this, I tried to be thorough.

I still need to sand where I cut out the screen, but meh. Just wanted to give you guys an idea on what the screen size would be.

GEDC0220.jpg

Also, about the DMG thing, a DMG is 5.8 inches x 3.5 inches, and 1.3 inches thick. Or at least, that's what wikipedia says. My portable's case is an SL-68p from Polycase, which measures 6.015 inches x 4.01 inches, and 1.5 inches thick. So my portable will end up just a bit bigger than a DMG.

I think it will be interesting to see if I can actually make a genesis portable inside a dmg case in the future. It could definitely be done if I had the skills to wire the cartridge slot directly to the chips on the board.

Triple post FTW!

I think I'm gonna put the work log on hold again. Casework is really, really boring, and I need to get in my LCD and batteries before I can get good measurements for cutting the back of the case. Probably going to start again sometime in February, when my stuff will arrive.

Case work is the most fun part for me. :awesome:

Can't wait to see it finished!

Don't give up Zeturi! It's lookin far too sexy.

Next time you do button holes, measure the interior diameter of the original hole with a caliper, then get a drill bit that's the same size. Much easier, and you won't damage the plastic with the heat. Perfectionism tip of the day.

The only three actual tools I own are: an arts and crafts soldering iron, underpowered chinese dremel, and a mini hot glue gun. I've been able to suffice with just these for now, but I'd like to get some better tools. It'd definitely make this case work easier.

Can you put drill bits in your drill? Also, you can get a flaxty $20 drill at any hardware store.

I will be heading straight to Home Depot, then. My dremel can use drill bits, but it isn't strong enough to actually cut with them. The only drill bit I could even get it to use is a really thin one, something about 1mm thick.

Back