Fusion Micro(s) ~ Worklog

Re: Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

Nice! Looking forward to seeing you complete another one of these beauties!!

Believe it or not but I have fitted the gamecube with custom heatsink inside an unmodded psp1000 case :mrgreen:

My heatsink - fan combo is only 6mm thick. It has also been epoxied to the motherboard chips with silver thermal compound to reduce the height even more. Still a couple of things to sort out but it definitly looks promising. It will truely be the smallest widescreen gamecube handheld in existence. Time will tell though when it's done....... ;)

Also I thought you were not going to have the fan stick out??

Thats pretty Dang impressive man! I cant wait to see it finished. I've also been using arctic silver thermal epoxy in all my portables, even my first GC Fusions used it. I think it works great!

The plan is to eliminate the thing in the back where the fan sticks out but i'll still have to vent the fan, which is the opening you see. Still quite a bit of work till this case will be ready after all. :D

zenloc said:
Nice! Looking forward to seeing you complete another one of these beauties!!

Believe it or not but I have fitted the gamecube with custom heatsink inside an unmodded psp1000 case :mrgreen:

My heatsink - fan combo is only 6mm thick. It has also been epoxied to the motherboard chips with silver thermal compound to reduce the height even more. Still a couple of things to sort out but it definitly looks promising. It will truely be the smallest widescreen gamecube handheld in existence. Time will tell though when it's done....... ;)

Also I thought you were not going to have the fan stick out??

If you are using the 6mm fan from ebay embedded in a 6mm trimmed stock heatsink....I'm not sure thats enough heat transfer. I tested that setup out a month ago, and giving the fan a higher voltage still didn't leave me confident as it got pretty hot.

Now if you ARENT using that setup, then awesome and I can't wait to see what you set up :p

Lots of interesting stuffs in this pic :)

e8f99a72.jpg

The rounded edges on the heatsink stick out to me more than anything else, that looks delicious.

SS

The board in that pic is special. One, because it took me quite a bit of work to get it working proper as I got it off someone premod'd and it was all kinds of messy/damaged. Two, because it does this:

250px-Lmbox.jpg

Which is quite important to me because its one of my favorite games on the GC, and a total bummer that the wiikey wont play it proper on NTSC systems. Three, because that board is OMGWTF cut and has a working onboard audio amp and NO COMPONENTS REMOVED on the audio and video lines. I rewired everything down to the last tiny surface mount resistor. :D

Ya, its a PAL board. BUT I also have a dead PAL board here and I'm going to try a IPL transplant to a NTSC board when I find some time and see what the results are as far as what the wiikey will think of that and such, or if it will even work at all without also swapping the video chip. I also have another half working PAL board here, but for now I'm keeping that one as a backup in case something bad happens to this one.

I'd be interested to know exactly what the real issue is, I mean, perhaps it is a hardware thing, but the fact that the PAL version of the game works on a NTSC board fine(aside for the 60 hertz-ness) would indicate that it's more of a software thing.

I'll mess around with some isos later, maybe I'll get a better clue. It'd be super special awesome if we could just patch a NTSC iso and have it work on the WKF. I googled this real quick and it looks like people had the same problem with loading it on Wii's, and in order to get it to work they had to get an updated version of the backup loader, some sort of mIOS patching or something.

SS

Yea, i'd love to know the real issue also. I'm positive its something the wiikey guys could fix in like 5 minutes if the gave two flaxs. Interesting little note is that the ntsc-j version of the game also DRE's at the same point our ntsc-u version does. I putzed about with the iso's a bit a while back, but software stuff isnt really my thing, so my ability to do useful stuff as far as that goes is limited.

I have no idea what I'm doing either, but I've messed with Melee isos a ton. It's more of a compare, trial and error at this point. Just curious, have you tried booting the game on a wii with a WKF? Also, good to know about the (J) version, saves me the effort of downloading and comparing that one too.

SS

Yes, just about every single issue the wiikey fusion has on the GC is exactly the same on the wii, including the luigi's mansion DRE. :/

If you think about it, once the wii enters GC mode its esentially just a GC at that point since it turns off all the wii specific hardware. So the fact that games behave the same isn't surprising.

I've accomplished a few things, interestingly enough.

Looks like the (E) version of Luigi's mansion has all the files needed to run as a (U) version, plus extra stuff for different languages, there might be a few other added/different things in there too.

After tons of messing around I ended up narrowing down "Start.dol" in the &&systemdata folder, I can put the (U) one in the (E) iso and it loads up as if it were the (U) iso, "an error has occurred" and all. I'd venture to say that if we can modify the (E) Start.dol to not put the GC into the different video mode then we can just use that iso instead, as if it were (U).

SS

Sounds like a discussion with emu_kidid is due. He'll know if any of that is possible i'm sure. Maybe some of those other crazy GC hackers over at gc-forever can help too. Nice find SS.

Back