Fusion Micro(s) ~ Worklog

Re: Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

Awesome!!! Looks like you'll get your one done sooner than mine ;) Altough my one will have batteries in it :p

Can't wait to see it all closed up and running.

By the way is the left analog inverted? Since up is down in wind waker and down is up?? I don't remember if that is sopposed to be that way...

Thanks guys :) . Good catch Zen, having a little trouble still getting the full range on those analogs. The main stick was inverted when I made that little video ><;

Nice. What did you use to to get 4.6v? step up? or step down?

Also nicely done on the shoulder buttons. I assume you but the slider to the point where it's pushed and made the tact switch from a low to a high resistor value?? Or high to low depends on the controler actually.

What do you still need to do to finish this project of awesomeness off?

Actually I haven't quite worked out how I'm going to get exactly 4.6v. I was using my adjustable lab supply to provide the correct voltage when I made the video. I'll probably use another PTH08080 (I'll have to figure out the correct resistors to use), which seems like a bit of a waste to me but meh. I originally planned to just use a 500k resistor on the L7805 I was using to get 5v, the 500k resistor knocks the voltage (4.85v) down to exactly 4.6v BUT since the analog stick links the voltage line to ground this ended up not working as it just drops the voltage to 0 when connected.

As for your second question I've actually learned alot with this handheld as far as the analog sticks/linear pots go. I'm not sure if the official controller works the same way as these knockoffs but I'm pretty sure it does.

What these controllers care about is not resistance values but voltage differences. I found out with the linear pots for the triggers that fully depressed (up) gives the controller 0v on the dataline, when fully depressed (down) it gives the controller 3.3v on the dataline.

So what I did was just connect the pots normally except that I did not provide the 3.3v input voltage on the pot. I hot glued the pots so that they are all the way up (10k) and then connected my tact switches to 3.3v and to the dataline on the pot to provide the 3.3v it wants to get the full signal when the trigger is fully depressed (i can make a schematic if people are confused).

The analog sticks work the same exact way. When you turn the GC on the controller puts a certain amount of voltage through the datalines of the pots on the analog stick and that is how it figures its "0 point". Which is why if you turn the system on with the analog stick depressed in any direction, then let it go. It will seemingly go crazy.

Anyway, what it amounts to is that the GC cares about the voltage difference the pots create after system boot. Depending on which way you tilt the stick it provides more or less voltage on the dataline of that pot which is what tells the GC which way to send your character or space ship or whatever.

Consequently, this is why the PSP sticks and probably the 3DS sticks will never give the "true" full range of a normal analog. They just don't provide enough of a resistance range to match that of a normal analog, though they do provide enough that with a bit of tweaking will work though. But never the full range. Just fire up a homebrew GC pad tester program to see what I'm talking about.

So, now that I've gotten all that out let me share another little discovery I've run into with this little build. You know that Pin 29 from the Wiikey that we connect to ground to drive it low? It seems that enough voltage is given off from this line to introduce a "ground loop" which will give interference on the audio/video lines. In some cases worse than others. So It looks like we should figure out some safe resistor value for that line that goes to ground to avoid interference on other important lines, such as the audio and video ones. I've not gotten that far yet though.

After I get the above mentioned stuff worked out I'll be all ready to close this beast up, it looks like I may have to do a bit of dremeling in certain spots to get it to close though, only because of my placement of certain things. Lets hope it all goes well.

As always, progress as I make it. :D

great stuff Ashen. When you get a chance, take a look at my compatibility list at the top of this forum. I'm curious if using 2 tacts for the triggers would work (1 tact for the original tact, and another tact for full press resistance....or voltage as you put it).

I know thats probably an old idea at this point. But my understanding of the triggers is still a bit primitive. But my list is accurate as I tested it with an open controller and used one wire to toggle the pot being connected.

Good luck with the Micro. Closing up the case is the most stressful part of the project IMO.....

Good stuff!!

I thought as much with the analog sliders. I have psp and 3ds sticks connected and both of them don't provide full range i the homebrew gcpad tester. They work perfectly fine in game though. Pity we have to waste a regulator just for the psp sliders. Couldn't you use resistors on the axis lines instead like what shackslayer found outon the 3ds sliders??

As for the how the controller works that makes complete sense. The resistor is supposed to regulate the voltage so yeah makes perfect sense!! ;) But instead of using the pots just use a 10k resistor and you'll get the same effect. I don't see the need for the sliders anyway. Saves space. Connect 10k to slider data line and to ground then 3.3v from switch to data line. Haven't tested it yet but it should work. Altough in my psp version I'll have full analog triggers so I won't be needing it.

About the ground loop thing I have never noticed any interference in the audio/video lines. Does it occur with the pre amp or without? Also wouldn't proper shielding of those lines filter out the noise if it had any or maybe some caps to clean the signals.

Well anyway good work on your findings and progress on this. Definitly shows that making it this small comes with it's own set of problems.

Hopefully I'll be able to join you at the end of this week. I have my board and heatsinks all prepared. I do however have not worked on the controller yet so I'll deal with those problems you are having soon enough :p

I'll also share my fixes when I get to that part. All these discoveries for the gamecube are awesome!! Great to see that so much has been made possible by all the great minds coming together. :D

Ashen said:
Actually I haven't quite worked out how I'm going to get exactly 4.6v. I was using my adjustable lab supply to provide the correct voltage when I made the video. I'll probably use another PTH08080 (I'll have to figure out the correct resistors to use), which seems like a bit of a waste to me but meh. I originally planned to just use a 500k resistor on the L7805 I was using to get 5v, the 500k resistor knocks the voltage (4.85v) down to exactly 4.6v BUT since the analog stick links the voltage line to ground this ended up not working as it just drops the voltage to 0 when connected.
You can just use a voltage divider to get 4.6 volts from the 5 volt line (maybe using a trimmer to get exactly 4.6 volt on the output).

Tchay said:
great stuff Ashen. When you get a chance, take a look at my compatibility list at the top of this forum. I'm curious if using 2 tacts for the triggers would work (1 tact for the original tact, and another tact for full press resistance....or voltage as you put it).

Thanks man, What you've stated above about using two tacts (1 tact for the original tact, and another tact for full press resistance.) is exactly what I've done, and what I thought we were talking about the whole time in the other thread. I never meant to eliminate one or the other completely. I'll run some tests on different games pretty soon when I have a few free moments and let everyone know the results. :D

zenloc said:
Couldn't you use resistors on the axis lines instead like what shackslayer found outon the 3ds sliders??

Actually... other than maybe stabilizing the data-line a bit I've found (in my case at least) installing resistors on the X/Y axis's has absolutely no effect on the range. I had anywhere from 1k through 1mega Ohm resistors installed on those lines all with the same exact effect (nothing). Which if you think about it makes sense. Because we are measuring voltage differentials, not resistances. Installing a resistor of the right value between the two axis's WILL correct inverted...ness however.

zenloc said:
All these discoveries for the gamecube are awesome!! Great to see that so much has been made possible by all the great minds coming together. :D

Hells yes!

Alie said:
You can just use a voltage divider to get 4.6 volts from the 5 volt line (maybe using a trimmer to get exactly 4.6 volt on the output).

I'll look into that. Thanks for the tip man.

Rev. 2 casework started. This one will be a challenge to pull off I think.

3abd2189.jpg

d45a5248.jpg

I'll gladly sell the vac formed back half to anyone who wants it. Or take an entire case commission I suppose.

I meant a completed one ::3:

I highly doubt I could pull off something that small. Ashen has ascended to Super God status.

Fusion Micro ~ Worklog

I would totally buy the back, as I'm attempting one of these as well.
Pm me the price.

Back