Win VistAIDS Compaq laptop refuses to connect to internet.

epicelite

Frequent Poster
I reinstalled the drivers and pull out the WiFi card and tried it directly plugged into modem with no firewall or nothing.

Refuses to connect. :neutral2:

Wat do?

It's my sisters and she probably did something stupid.

Re: Win Vista Compaq laptop refuses to connect to internet.

epicelite said:
I reinstalled the drivers, pulled out the WiFi card, and tried connecting with it directly plugged into the modem with no firewall or anything.

Refuses to connect. :neutral2:

What should I do next?

It's my sister's and she probably did something stupid with it.

There, easier to read now. :D

Did you try unplugging the modem and plugging it back in?

Try the repair operation in the Windows networking utility? (Not sure how this works in Vista, never used it thank God.)

Try opening a command prompt and pinging somewhere like http://www.google.com? What were the results?

If that failed, did you try pinging 127.0.0.1? What were the results?

If pinging 127.0.0.1 failed, you need to do a winsock repair - again, no clue how that works under Vista.

Try calling your internet service provider to see if there is an issue locally that may be causing the problem?

Check to make sure that you set up the ethernet connection in your network settings? (It should just automatically configure itself that way, but hey, we ARE talking about Windows here.)

Try asking your sister if she tried to make things better under Internet settings?

Try cleaning out the tubes?

Try using the air conductivity spray that makes wireless internet work better?

Windows Sockets, shortened to winsock.

Refers to the interface between software and an internet connection (loosely defined.)

Sometimes, this breaks. This can be determined by pinging 127.0.0.1. 127.0.0.1 is your computer. If you can't ping yourself, your network interface is all *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ered up.

Fixing this, usually using a utility called winsockfix.exe, I refer to as a winsock repair.

Certain virii/malware can also cause this problem, such as the Antivirus2009 disaster.

Edit: Do you really not know how to open a command prompt and perform a simple ping operation? If so....

Open a command prompt.
Type in "ping www.google.com"

If that returns an error:
Type in "ping 127.0.0.1"

If THAT returns an error, there is something up with your winsock API. Fix it.

Also, if you end up not being able to ping yourself, type this in a command prompt:

netsh winsock reset

That works under Vista; if you still can't ping yourself after that, then there's a bigger problem.

Back