The JD50MLXD TFT 5" LCD Screen Review + VGA info

Re: The GD50MLXD TFT 5" LCD Screen Review + VGA info

If progressive scan is not an option, the screen will just display in VGA. So no, you will NEVER have to use composite if you have the component chip.

3 types of viewing on this screen:

composite - flax
VGA - sexy smooth
progressive - sharper more crystal version of VGA

Looks like I will be ordering a component cable then.

I got one for 40 bucks on craigslist. The guy lived 40 minutes from me. No joke.

You can find these suckers out there online for 40 bucks if you look in the right places.

I have 2 of them, both I spent 40 bucks getting. :awesome:

I would like to know if what you describe as VGA is upscaled 480i or an actual RGB output. I don't know how one would confirm that, though.

Ashen said:
meh, found one on ebay for $80 ><

Just so I'm straight, this is the mod you are using right?

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis- ... /dac_e.htm

Yes that is right.

@XCVG, most sites that mention the component cable seem to use VGA and RGB in the same sentence. I think most modders don't have a clear understanding of the differences. Geocities claims this is a mod to make a "VGA cable"

I found this online, clears up some confusion:

1. RGB is a color model while VGA is a video standard
2. RGB is used in a wide variety of applications while VGA is only used in interfacing displays
3. RGB defines the combination of colors while VGA defines resolution, color depth, and transmission
4. RGB is still used considerably while VGA has been superseded by better standards

If I understand it all correctly, this 5" LCD screen has VGA video, that can accept a 15khz RGB color model from the gamecubes "RGB modded" component cable. THEN, progressive scan (31khz) will kick in for about half the GC game library (being displayed through VGA video).

When the GameCube was initially released there were two plugs in the back of the unit. One was for the standard AV plug that was used in previous consoles like the SNES and the Nintendo 64. The other was for a Digital AV plug which was used for Component Video and Digital Sound output.

To save space, money, and time the chip that was used to convert the digital signals to analog signals was placed INSIDE the cable (inside the plug that was connected to the GameCube).

Although the cable was meant to output Component Video someone managed to hack the chip to make it output RGB Analog Video instead. The hack is simple in concept but a little tricky in execution.

The cable was only available through Nintendo and was not sold through game or retail stores. Because of low sales of the cable Nintendo decided to remove the Digital AV plug in newer versions of the GameCube although you could still have the plug installed if you wished to have it.

As of February 2006, however, Nintendo no longer manufactures the GameCube Component Video cable.

Once the cable is modified the GameCube outputs great 15Khz RGB Analog video and does an excellent job on 31Khz Progressive Scan RGB Analog video.

However, most of today's VGA monitors won't do 15Khz RGB so you have to make sure that the GameCube game you are wanting to play on a VGA monitor is Progressive Scan capable. A lot of GameCube games, including the Game Boy Player, do support Progressive Scan but it should be noted that only the NTSC releases support it.

^ taken from http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id=av:gamecube_rgb

Let me clarify the rgb confusion.

When we talk about inputting RGB into a screen we talk about a Red,Green,Blue and composite sync (c sync) stripped from the normal composite video output.

When we talk about inputting VGA into a screem we talk about a Red,Green,Blue,H sync and V sync.

Both of them use the rgb lines but the frequency and refresh rate are determined by the sync signal.

This screen support composite and vga signal iput but not rgb + c sync. So you need the component cable for it to work.

I'm well aware of the difference between VGA and RGB, and how mind*Can'tSayThisOnTV*ingly confusing it can be. In this context, I was referring to 15KHz RGB vs 31KHz VGA. The question I am asking is whether it's outputting 31KHz VGA all the time or only in progressive scan, outputting 15KHz RGBHV otherwise. If the latter is the case, we *should* be able to feed the screen RGB 15KHz with only a sync splitter.

Zenloc, I was talking solely about the refresh rate, NOT sync format. Sync can be split relatively easily IIRC. Doubling lines is much, much more difficult. In fact, if the screen is non-sensitive enough, you can probably just shove csync into both pins, but it might want proper separate sync.

We need a standardized definition of RGB vs VGA. How about this: RGB refers to 15KHz RGBS, unless otherwise noted. VGA refers to 31KHz RGBHV, unless otherwise noted.

Pretty sure this mod: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis- ... crgb_e.htm must be putting out 31KHz VGA ALL the time (whether the actual signal coming from the cube is progressive or interlaced doesn't matter apparently, as tchay says he gets video on screen all the time). As Zen said, he tried with his PAL cube's "RGB" output and a sync splitter (for fo VGA output) and input it to the VGA input on this screen and it wouldn't display video at all.

Maybe the screen doesn't like PAL? The colour standard is a non-issue in RGB mode, but the refresh rate is different IIRC. Then again, I might be thinking of a different video standard.

Reading that site, the guy implies that the device normally outputs 15KHz RGBHV, but it is poorly translated so I can't be sure.

Tchay said:
Most of this is going way over my head. But as far as my mod. I simply modded a component cable to output RGB into the 5" LCD screen. (I think it was RGB).

The signal was displayed on the VGA option of the screen. Using a resistor and H and V sync wires, I got a beautiful signal.

Then, the gamecube detects the component chip, and (after holding down the B button) will ask you if you want to play in "progressive scan mode." This option only comes up for certain GC games (slightly less than half IIR).

The "would you like to play in progressive scan" question is also displayed in progressive scan, FYI.

Most of what I'm saying is redundant, but hopefully it clarifies what I did.

Alrighty, since I ordered a component cable and am planning on using it in my portable I have a few questions for you Tchay.

First question: When this screen is set to VGA input and you have the signal coming in from your "VGA modded" component cable. Can you boot the cube normally without holding down the B button and get the GameCube's "bios" to display on the screen?

Two: If the answer to the last question is no, then how the Heck are you booting the Wiikey Fusion? Or are you booting it blind?

EDIT:

Three: will the component cable chip run off of 7.4v on the connection described in the pinout here: http://www.gamesx.com/wiki/doku.php?id= ... odigitalav as needing 12v?

Got my component cable in the mail today. Did the VGA mod to it but havent had a chance to test it with this screen yet as I had to go to work. I'll report back my findings tonight when I get home.

Little side note for people who want the GC component cable but dont want to pay the crazy price for it. Apparently the japanese d-terminal cable is exactly the same thing as far as the guts of the cable go, and can generally be found for much cheaper.

When you mod the component or d terminal with the vga mod you get a interlaced RGBHV 31khz signal. All games and boot menu are visable. When you hold B you get progressive with compatible games.

This screen support the vga modded component cable fully so you won't be needing composite input.

Ashen, let us know when you test out the D-terminal cable. That would be nice! They still seem fairly pricey online, but hopefully it gives us more options when buying this cable. Can't believe no one tried this out for the 10 years the gamecube has been in existence :p

Also, the component cable only needs 3.4v. The 12v line of the chip is not used for video (I think its just for special audio). Its not too picky with grounding either. As I mentioned before, my composite got really flaxty after I hooked up component, but that doesn't really matter as I'll never use composite again on this portable.

I got a chance to test my VGA modded component cable with this screen today and godDang! Tchay you really weren't lying when you said it was sexy smooth.

The difference in picture quality compared to composite is extremely apparent right away. Composite looks decent on this screen but the VGA is definitely the way to go if you can float it for the component/d-terminal cable and can perform the simple mod that makes it output VGA. Glad to see everything is working too, bios displays properly along with everything else, whether the picture is displayed interlaced or progressive. I couldn't be happier, totally worth the $80 investment.

The only thing I noticed with the VGA display is that I cannot get the picture from the GC 100% centered on the screen. Its close though, so no biggie I guess.

I did try taking some pictures to compare the different display modes but they didn't come out very good and don't do the screen justice. I'll have to try again another time.

Forgot about that... I'll have to try it once I get everything wired up for my portable. My component cable is now in pieces.

I keep having some sort of issue on my VGA side. After doing progressive scan, it displays properly except for very faint vertical lines going down the whole screen. Using the "auto" function in the screen menu only moves the lines across the screen (and recenters everything) but does not get rid of the lines.

I have tried using excessive ground and I think I am...? I am giving the chip 3.34v and the 12+ pin only 5v. I am also powering the whole LCD module off of 5v (reading as 5.4v on multimeter).

Composite seems to show these same vertical lines, but a little worse. VGA by itself seems to display without the lines, but maybe a little too bright? What do you guys suggest??? Should I give the screen more voltage? Am I missing ground somewhere??? Oh and I disconnected the last 3 lines of the component chip as they are for audio (don't think it matters).

I would be SO HAPPY if someone can help me fix this problem as its the LAST hurdle for the Envision.

Pinout for refrence (taken from MBB without asking :p )

1 DetectCable (pull high)
2 54MHz Clock
3 ClkSelect(C10)
4 GND
5 +12V
6 27Mhz Clock
7 Data0 (C09)
8 GND
9 Data1 (C08)
10 Data2 (C07)
11 GND
12 Data3 (C06)
13 Data4 (C04)
14 GND
15 Data5 (C03)
16 Data6 (C02)
17 3.3v
18 Data7 (C01)
19 LRCK (Audio)
20 GND
21 Data (Audio)
22 BCK (Audio)

Tchay said:
I have tried using excessive ground and I think I am...? I am giving the chip 3.34v and the 12+ pin only 5v. I am also powering the whole LCD module off of 5v (reading as 5.4v on multimeter).

you do not need to feed 12v power to the board for VGA or Component.
only feed it 3.3v power..

12v power is reduced on the board to 5v.
The MX chip controls the delivery of 5v or 0v to the "black" pad.
The "black" pad is the D-terminal connection data line which signals the TV to display video as interlaced or progressive.
0 V = 59.94i / 60i
5 V = 59.94p / 60p

PIN 20 appears to perform some internal switching:
1. GC powered off...PIN 20 = ~9K ohm
2. bootup and "progressive mode YES NO" message displayed (interlaced)...PIN20 = ~80K ohm = 0v
3. once "YES" is selected, the chip will output progressive scan video and provide signal to D-Terminal...PIN20 = open = 5v

once again, 12v power is only required for D-terminal connection.
save some space and troubleshooting by getting rid of that wire.

Also, just to add further info, without 12v power connected to the board:
1. GC powered off...PIN 20 = ~15K ohm = 0v
2. Interlaced mode...PIN 20 = ~40K ohm = ~0.039v
3. Progressive mode..PIN20 = ~730K ohm = ~0.695v

Back