3 types of viewing on this screen:

composite - flax
VGA - sexy smooth
progressive scan - sharper more crystal version of VGA

editedscrenpic1-1.jpg

evenmorescreenpics001.jpg

evenmorescreenpics002.jpg

evenmorescreenpics003.jpg

My second-favorite pair of boxers (right behind the silky Santa Claus ones)

morescreenpics003-1.jpg

^ here you can see the control tacts. Green acts as a switch from VGA to AV (one simple push, no holding required for any of the tacts). Red acts as a power switch - push once to turn off the screen; push again to turn the screen back on.

Heres the cool part:pushing blue actually displays a TV menu to change the brightness, contrast, H-position, or V-position. Very impressive.

The two non-colored tacts are used to change the brightness, etc for the TV menu. I am still trying to figure out how to get audio. I'm pretty sure this board has a built in audio amp, could be wrong though.

HEAT
The main chip gets a lil hot but its nothing to worry about, The leftmost and largest coil on the board gets very hot. I would strongly recommend heat sinking this coil and some of the surrounding capacitors when shoving this into a portable. proper fan ventilation would work as well.

DIMENSIONS
most measurements and specs can be found here

The cable from the LCD display to the controller board is long enough that I was able to turn the board perpendicular. So basically you can move the board around to the side slightly to make more room.

Display is beautiful (although this is my first VGA/AV screen so I have nothing to compare it to). If I ever get a PS1 screen Ill do a visual comparison. I'm sure this screen has better colors than the PS1 screen though.

This came with an already-hooked-up VGA plug, so all I had to do was hook up the monitor cable from my computer and voila: VGA computer viewing on my 5" display. Actually, I have been typing this entire review on the 5" screen, no joke. I also watched IGN's latest REWIND THEATRE of Zelda: Skyward Sword on my lil screen. Anybody see that yet? Pretty cool, although I'm not digging Links getto pants...

CABLES/PLUGS
So theres no confusion: This comes with a VGA input plug, 5 tact switches (with 3 empty tact spots included), AV input plug (ground and the yellow composite wire), and then the power input plug (ground and 12V red wire). All of this junk is pre-wired and go to plugs on the board itself (just like on the PS1 motherboard). I noticed some pins on these board plugs not being used, maybe audio is on the 3 empty pins next to AV. I'll keep you guys posted on that.

One more thing: The switch from VGA to AV works perfectly. I was worried about this at first because I plan to have VGA on a future project of mine. But seeing as some games don't support VGA, I wanted to have the ability for the player to switch from VGA to AV with ease. This board makes that possible. As I explained earlier, all you have to do is push the VGA/AV toggling tact switch. The board also has auto switching from PAL to NTSC, not a big deal for me though.

Re: The GD50MLXD TFT 5" LCD Screen Review

that looks nice and sexy. any word on power draw? and i like this, "future project". if im correct, which i always am, it will be awesome.

I smell a DCp.

Also, those three spots could be for s-video and not audio. It says that the A/D board supports s-video. Also, will it accept a 15KHz CGA input (ie RGB)? Most VGA screens won't, but it won't damage an LCD to try, unlike a CRT.

Okay, I think I was wrong about audio, don't think its supplied on the board.

Good news though: I did the VGA mod for my Gamecube and got VGA working perfectly on the screen. Whats cool is that I was able to switch from AV to VGA by pushing that tact switch I mentioned in my first post. So I could see the differences. And they were noticeable :D

AV almost seems like a "zoomed in" fuzzy picture compared to VGA. The VGA viewing dimensions are slightly smaller.

AV:

- brighter, washed out
- fuzzy
- colors are off
- screen static and interference is VERY noticeable

VGA:

- slightly darker, natural lighting
- crystal clear, sharp
- colors are spot on
- no static or interference can be seen with the naked eye

my camera is semi broken, so pics will have to wait.

I do have a question though, I was able to just play my games on VGA without doing anything fancy. Is that normal? I thought I had to do a "progressive scan" to get it working. Or is my screen just able to auto-detect the signal without a scan?

So how does composite on the screen compare to the psone screen then?

snowpenguin said:
So how does composite on the screen compare to the psone screen then?

I don't have a PS1 screen at the moment so I can't compare the two. Assuming my new screen is a newer technology than the PS1 screen, then its probably better than the PS1 scree.

That's not really a very good assumption to make.

you should get a psone screen and have a look ::3:

Could you take a pic of it running something in composite, or a short, few second long video?

Is it progressive scan when in rgb mode.

It would be a perfect screen for a tiny wii laptop with 480p.

bentomo said:
Is it progressive scan when in rgb mode.

It would be a perfect screen for a tiny wii laptop with 480p.

I'm not sure how progressive scan works to be honest. I was able to play games in VGA without doing anything but switching to VGA on the screen. I thought I would have to do a progressive scan for the games to even show a picture :confused:

@Snow, no working camera or video camera at the moment.

I would have no idea of how to test if it's progressive scan but taking an hd picture of a wii in composite and components mode and comparing them couldn't hurt.

When you get a working camera of course. ;)

Oh wait, I'm not sure if this method would really count but putting in a gamecube game that's compatible with the hd cables and see if it asks to go into progressive mode. (you can do this with a wii)

I'm not sure if it would think so because it's using rgb or if it senses on the sync line but if you can use progressive scan with a wii I'm pretty sure it's compatible and not just making the wii think it's in progressive mode.

WHOA. Okay, I figured it out guys.

There are 3 different types of viewing for the Gamecube on this new screen I bought.

Composite - the flaxty type

VGA - much sharper and colorful picture. This will be automatic for ANY GC game

Progressive scan mode - about 1/3 of GC games support progressive scan mode. By holding down "B" right before the game boots up, it will ask you if you want to play in "progressive scan mode". It will auto-detect it from then on. You dont have to do that each time you play the game :)

So VGA and progressive scan are both sharper and more colorful than composite, but whats the difference between VGA and progressive if any? Well, there is a difference. Progressive mode actually makes an even sharper picture. The coloring is about the same, but progressive is slightly brighter in terms of colors and much more flashy and pretty.

I just tried it out with Wind Waker and then reset my gamecube to go back and forth between VGA and progressive to look at the differences. Its a great perk that comes along with my screen. Progressive takes the VGA and makes it A LOT more badass.

I am having a grounding issue that I cant seem to fix at the moment. On progressive I am getting hints of static lines running vertically along the whole screen. I had this issue with composite but I fixed it by grounding the screen properly. But that didnt seem to fix it with progressive. Hopefully thats not part of the progressive mode because VGA didnt have the static lines.

EDIT: I think I fixed the problem. BTW, Ive tested progressive scan on Metroid Prime 2, Wind Waker, Zelda Collectors Edition, and Resident Evil 4. So I kinda lied, Progressive scan is a lot better than VGA! Its so much more sharp and flashy. Some games its more noticeable though ;)

Hers a better comparison:

Composite: fuzzy
VGA: seems perfect! great colors and sharp
Progressive Scan: now you realize how fuzzy VGA actually was

:p

we covered this at bh. yep, there's one even cheaper, around $80 shipped, and i think they're all from the same seller. tchay said he was contacting her to see wtf was going on.

snowpenguin said:
we covered this at bh. yep, there's one even cheaper, around $80 shipped, and i think they're all from the same seller. tchay said he was contacting her to see wtf was going on.

no reply yet. I feel very poned right now

Lol, oh well. At least it's not a complete scam.

Next time ;)

Also, as soon as you get a camera take pics of composite!

God this lady has no idea how to add numbers :facepalm:

Heres what she said:

Lisa Wang: Please don't purchase this lcd module through this link of 81 dollars.Although its weight is less than others.however,the package is unreliable.almost of customers select 1.0KG Package not this 0.5KG package.
Best Regards,
Lisa

So apparently for ONLY 20 dollars extra, I can have a safe and reliable package.

:facepalm:

*Can'tSayThisOnTV* that, ill buy the 80 one if i feel like it woman!

Back