The JD50MLXD TFT 5" LCD Screen Review + VGA info

Re: The GD50MLXD TFT 5" LCD Screen Review

As far as I know, VGA out without progressive scan causes the Cube to output 15KHz RGB.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis- ... ouse_e.htm

Try inputting a normal RGB signal, composite sync to the h-sync on the VGA input. If that doesn't work, you may have to split the sync. Then again I could be wrong and it's not actually RGB-capable.

Re: The GD50MLXD TFT 5" LCD Screen Review

themadhacker said:
find out if it accepts s-video

Who cares, it (probably) takes RGB! Glorious, glorious RGB! Probably.

Re: The GD50MLXD TFT 5" LCD Screen Review + VGA info

Robm, sticky this por favor.

I use it A LOT for screen wiring and VGA modding.

(gamecube envision cough cough)

Don't know if this was posted but I have been in contact with the suppliers for the datasheet of this screen and the chip supports RGB/Component/S-Video/Composite and VGA but sadly it has to be programmed to accept all those signals. This screen has only been programmed to accept Composite and VGA H/V Sync. So it's a no go on connecting RGB or any other signal for that matter.

I'm still looking for a screen like this that supports RGB. Getting a NTSC cube with component cable is just to expensive for my taste. Having a PAL cube you're able to play every game in RGB 576i even NTSC games. It's the next best thing to 480p ad all games cross region games are supported.

If anybody find a rgb screen post it!!

zenloc said:
Don't know if this was posted but I have been in contact with the suppliers for the datasheet of this screen and the chip supports RGB/Component/S-Video/Composite and VGA but sadly it has to be programmed to accept all those signals. This screen has only been programmed to accept Composite and VGA H/V Sync. So it's a no go on connecting RGB or any other signal for that matter.

I'm still looking for a screen like this that supports RGB. Getting a NTSC cube with component cable is just to expensive for my taste. Having a PAL cube you're able to play every game in RGB 576i even NTSC games. It's the next best thing to 480p ad all games cross region games are supported.

If anybody find a rgb screen post it!!

I only partially understand RGB. All I know is that this screen works with composite, VGA, and progressive scan (from a modded component cable). how would RGB compare to those 3 different video qualities???

Better than composite, but inferior to VGA and progressive scan as it is a lower resolution (480i vs 480p+). You say you used progressive scan from a modified component cable, what do you mean by that?

RGB isn't really a lower resolution than component, the display is just interlaced with RGB output. Which means only every other "scanline" is drawn on every refresh.

The NTSC GameCube requires a special component cable with a decoder chip built in to output component correctly, as the signals are scrambled when they come from the system. Thats what he's talking about.

I bet for PAL GC's we could use a sync splitter on the composite line to get fo VGA (RGB+Vsync/Hsync) output for these screens. Maybe I'll try it when I have some time as I have some sync splitters sitting here for my Xbox project. :D

PAL gamecubes output 15khz rgb and composite. European tv's normally strip the sync from the composite but we can use a normal lm1881 chip. But you still get a 15khz signal. VGA is 31.5khz. This screen will only support a 31,5khz signal. To convert 15khz to 31.5khz you need a convertor which are big and expensive. There is no cheap and small solution to get rgb 15khz to vga 31.5khz I'm afraid.

I have already connected a PAL gamecube with LM1881 chip to the screen andit does not work. Neither does S-Video. Like I said this screen is programmed to only accept composite and VGA at 31.5khz.

However I am talking with the supplier if they can reprogram the chip which does support rgb at 15khz (and plenty of other video formats for that matter) and send me a sample. If and when that's gonna happen I don't know but I'll post it when it happens.

And also not to forget the PAL gamecube can't output progressive as no games support and it neither does the boot menunot even on a NTSC cube.

I have just recieved my original gamecube component cable and 15khz rgb to vga convertor and I'm going to play around with thing and see what kind of quality differences I get.

As far as I can tell, though, Tchay was actually feeding this thing RGB video without knowing it. Way back on the second page, he compared "VGA" and "Progressive Scan". I think the GC outputs 480i unless it's specifically told to put out 480p, meaning interlaced 15khz RGB. Either that or my theory of GameCube modding is totally screwed up (which is equally likely). Perhaps it simply does not like PAL?

FAKE EDIT: http://www.geocities.co.jp/Technopolis- ... ouse_e.htm

Does it show the boot-up screen? If it does, the screen will work with RGB if specific requirements are met. If not, it's 30KHz VGA only.

zenloc said:
And also not to forget the gamecube can't output progressive as no games support and it neither does the boot menunot even on a NTSC cube.

I have a ton of games that when they boot they ask if I want to display in progressive mode on my Wii. Its software side, so the GC has to support progressive scan through the NTSC component cable.

Ashen said:
zenloc said:
And also not to forget the gamecube can't output progressive as no games support and it neither does the boot menunot even on a NTSC cube.

I have a ton of games that when they boot they ask if I want to display in progressive mode on my Wii. Its software side, so the GC has to support progressive scan through the NTSC component cable.

Oops I mean the PAL gamecube doesn't suport progressive output with pal resolutions so no 576p only 480p and since all PAL games are 576i they will never work in progressive mode. So that's why if this screen works with rgb 15khz we would not need the component cable and we could use PAL gamecubes in full rgb 576i/480i which is a good as it gets if you don't plan on forking out $100 for a component cable.

Also @XCVG RGB output needs a C sync to work properly. NTSC consoles don't even have RGB output not even with the component cable. The component cables takes the raw YCbCr signal and converts it into either RGBHV 30khz or YPbPr. VGA does not work with 15khz in this case. Also this screen doesn't support component (the chip does but again it is not programmed to accept it)

The NTSC av chip outputs composite and S-Video as standard through the av port which are both 480i signals. The PAL av chip outputs compsite and RGB and are both 576i signals.

Check out video section of this wiki : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_G ... ccessories

I have also been in contact with the supliers and they have also told me that this screen doesn't support 15khz rgb. Only 30khz vga and composite.

Can you confirm that the output from an NTSC component cable is ALWAYS 31KHz regardless of video mode? Everything I've read says that it only outputs that if the 'cube is in Progressive Scan mode, otherwise it spits out 15KHz RGBHV, and the boot menu is not progressive scan and will not show up unless the monitor supports 15KHz. If you're correct, at least a portion of what we know about VGA modding is wrong. You are feeding the screen RGB 15KHz 576i with composite sync, correct?

yeah I'm feeding the screen RGB + 15khz C Sync at 576i. Because this screen must have a vga 30hz v+h sync it doesn't matter if you have anything else it won't display it. The cube does not do RGBHV in 15khz only in 30khz. That is why when you connect it in interlaced mode (normal VGA) to this screen you get picture in the boot menu. The point is here to not use that cable and mod a PAL cube to output VGA.

We can achieve this by using a scan doublerconverting the 15khz C Sync to 30khz H/V Sync. Anyone know of a cheap and small way of doing this?

Most of this is going way over my head. But as far as my mod. I simply modded a component cable to output RGB into the 5" LCD screen. (I think it was RGB).

The signal was displayed on the VGA option of the screen. Using a resistor and H and V sync wires, I got a beautiful signal.

Then, the gamecube detects the component chip, and (after holding down the B button) will ask you if you want to play in "progressive scan mode." This option only comes up for certain GC games (slightly less than half IIR).

The "would you like to play in progressive scan" question is also displayed in progressive scan, FYI.

Most of what I'm saying is redundant, but hopefully it clarifies what I did.

What happens if the option doesn't come up? Does it still work anyway?

XCVG said:
What happens if the option doesn't come up? Does it still work anyway?

No it won't. HOWEVER, the gamecube "remembers" when you held down B for a specific game and will automatically boot into progressive scan from then on. Kinda cool.

BTW, I REALLY love the VGA quality on this screen. For my envision, I've been testing it out and it is so so smooth. My only issue is some sort of grounding which causes the composite to look bad and have lines. But I won't have any reason to ever use composite so this isn't a big deal.

So, if a game doesn't support progressive scan/doesnt ask to switch modes you HAVE to use composite? Or does the bios/regular non progressive scan stuff display correctly using the component cable VGA mod?

Back