SD card loading on n64, has this been talked about before?

Re: SD card loading on n64, has this been talked about befor

Multiple times, and very recently. In fact, there's two threads on the very first page. Search around next time instead of making a thread anyway.

Anyway, you're better off pre-ordering marshallh's 64drive. Not only do you get your money's worth with a much better product, but you'd be supporting a seasoned veteran in this scene.

Yea, I meant this one in particular, because it was $100 cheaper and uses SD cards in stead of compact flash. Just wondering if anyone had seen this one also, not trying to be incompetent. :dahroll:

I have a post about the 64drive, and ßeta has one about that flaxty one. So yes, they have been discussed here.

The thread:

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=7430&hilit=Krikzz

Yes, it's been discussed. It hasn't been put into a portable yet because:

a) People here are dirt cheap high school students. Even $100 is steep.

b) The availability of said carts are lackluster at best. Good luck trying to find the barebones one. They're made by one person. The only place I can find them is here, but even then, you have to be on your toes to see if they are in stock. Plus, they are the deluxe editions, which are $75 more.

c) The people who are potential buyers of said cart are more interested in the 64Drive; it is made by a reputable modder who has a history in the portablizing scene, and some of us have met him in person at the Midwest Gaming Classic. Furthermore, his cartridge has been under development for much longer, and the polish that has been put into it is incredible. His custom firmware looks like it was designed by professionals, whereas Krikzz's looks like a BIOS screencap from a 1995 Dell. Case in point, Krikzz's cart was released half baked, with a patch for flashRAM support only just released this month. Marshallh's $80 premium is worth it for his 64Drive.

Or all 3.

Didn't he add MicroSD support to the 64drive or something anyway? The way I see it, its more expensive, but you really do get what you pay for.

Alright I'm glad you said that this one sucks because I was considering to buy it when I saved up enough money, but now I think I'll save up the extra 100 for marshalls cart because I'm sick of searching for all the games I want on eBay. Sorry for making a new thread btw.

CF is better than SD imo, cept its bigger. Faster and cheaper. Just got a 4GB card for $10.

CF is far faster than SD, with the current fastest CF Cards breaking 167Mbyte/s.
While the current SD spec allows SDXC cards that meet the UHS-II requirements to pull speeds up to 312MB/s, NONE DO.
The FASTEST SD cards you can buy right now are Pretec's Class 16 cards, pulling a sad 16MB/s.

If UHS is ever put to good use, we'll have speeds up to 104MB/s out of SDHC and SDXC cards, or even 312MB/s with UHS-II.
But, for now, only UHS-I SDHC and SDXC cards are available. As far as devices go, there isn't much that supports UHS at all.
Some high end cameras and camcorders, no surprise, but not much really.

I think things will get better for SD.
I still like it a lot more than CF.

Back