My TwoUp 3D printer, and mods

DuHasst0

So, I have been screwing around with this pretty cheap 3d printer. Designed for bringing 3d printing to the consumer at an affordable price, with a large build area.

It has been a long and adventurous journey, but I have done much to this printer to get it functional enough to give me some decent prints. At first it was just to fix the sagging issues, but the hotend that came with the Dang thing made me pull my hair out for a long time. I bought a clone e3d lite 6, got the wrong size for what I had, did a mod to it, figured some things out that made sense but didn't really give great results. Bought a better clone, works better, looking into getting an all metal hotend especially since I am running PETG filament. I, also, bought the heated bed upgrade that I probably shouldn't have bought. I have some ideas, and will be showing some awesome things I found doing some more research.

Anyway, on to the photos so the machine and it running. Not all photos show up to date mods unless specified.

c46ce15d02ee8b8921364ddc4dda337a.jpg

First prints of some x gantry mods, as you can see the first one didn't turn out for flax.

d93631aa5e7e750d9e831fdc50b71735.jpg

This was actually a good print that was going just fine until windows decided it was time to update... so windows restarted even though I had a print running. But as you can see print quality got way better.

268e3b76ff308e968629d6cbc5f24f9f.jpg

My mess of wires that needs to be contained, the anti sag mods in the back.

a0701ce04788acc154a4500ffbdd1d3e.jpg

This is actually the most recent setup before I moved, and that stand I have the cold end of the extruder on broke off, so I glued part of it to the top center of the handle. You can also see that with that mod installed the x gantry sits very level. Now it's not 100% level, but within a couple degrees by a pretty good guess. I just used a regular bubble style level.

1c24639954ff86f7036aa42eb037cc3e.jpg

One of my early prints, it curled up a bit, I am in need of heating it up to flatten it out and paint it, and print the feet for it. It's for my girlfriend. You can see all the bad parts of it but for the most part it's pretty decent.

438f576aa89856c869c276ab824a19fc.jpg

df75da41ab166e9123c2230514df78da.jpg

This is actually exactly how it's setup now except it has the heated bed installed. No shot of that yet. Also, because of the windows problem I decided to go headless and install an lcd with an sd card reader on it. That gave me a great reason to flash a new firmware set to the arduino mega board, calibrate to near perfection.

32ec94d6218fb77d2b9731cdbc196016.jpg

c3cefee7ba06a4f87e294c486f2a36e2.jpg

d78482a0d30dc8f3dcf690bc4a67c783.jpg

Here are some things I have printed for fun and calibration. So from what I can show its not doing too bad. I still have some things I want to print for it and reprint. I really want to print a box to enclose the electronics with the power all in one.

That's it for now. More to come soon once the work area had come together 100%

Very nice.

How was calibration? I'm still fighting mine, but due to some health issues I've had to take it easy on just about everything for a while.

I can't get mine to print well for flax, and I think in the process I borked my hot-end. Looking at replacements soon if I can't get it repaired.

The clone e3d lite 6 on amazon are of nice quality. I thought I had to you may need a new nozzle for. For shipping I can send you my anubis without thermistor? If I were you I would first try and clean you nozzle via a cold pull if you are running abs or pla, but if you don't have the bed they say use pla. Anyway, once done if you actually treat that black area of the anubis hotend like they do with the e3d it totally helps and that's actually how I got so many of my parts to work.

For calibration, well I just kinda winged it on the extruders driver, hence the fan heatsink combo. I should really throw some thermal in there but the motor doesn't run warm.

What version do you have? I looked at the BOM for the v3 line and the extruder looks extremely overhauled and has the e3d hotend. I am kinda jealous but the time and money were all right. Heck, I even picked up a 4790k that day too.

Anyway, currently to help with curl the ramps electronics are all under a GC top, so I was thinking about actually mounting that all in there all cool and such, man. Lol.

This heated bed kinda blows, so I am looking into upgrades once again. Check out ebay item 121859480569, that bed plus a hand full of printed parts, some sweat, lots of metal(music), lots of cussing out the machine and I'm sure the bed situation will be great.

Z height.... lets just say if you have access to a metric lead screw get one now. Trying to make a machine made for moving in mm move in inches is absolute Heck. I want to blow my brains out some times because it really limits the machine and it really isn't that bad once everything is sorted... but the z ribbing will never go away until then.

Also, having some sort of way to keep the far side of the x gantry up and even with the other side is important, otherwise your parts come out angled and not square. Also, my bed actually came warped or warps as the bed screws are tightened weird. Either way my bed was never 100% plane, I had to have a sheet of lexan with some spacers to level it out that never really helped much but helped enough.

That's about all I can think if at the moment with this machine. I have so many ideas for this, like I will probably print some pla bearings for the bed, I am already using one to replace a bad one on one side of the x gantry. It's for z travel right over the motor so it really does stick at all.

What brand filament do you use? I just realized I just typed a whole book of nonsense and crap about this printer. Lol. Let me know if there are any files you could use or even if you needed something g printed. I am in the middle of getting a commission done for a guy here. PC issues right now, and about 90% done with cleaning the house and setting everything up where we need it. Life is getting better... I'm sure yours will.

My life gave me really rotten lemons once then took them back like a week later. This close to having surgery I didn't need on my arm.

Anyways, if anyone has stuck around this long awesome. Comments questions concerns?

Unfortunately I haven't had a ton of time over the past couple weeks to fight with it, but I'm running a Printrbot Plus V1 with what I assume would be the filament they ship with new units, though don't quote me on that.

I think I'm to the point where I'll have to try drilling out the nozzle as I've been reading, otherwise a replacement is in order, unfortunately.

Looks like you've got yours pretty well sorted, though - awesome!

I had to buy a new nozzle for my anubis hotend that came the Dang thing. Got it from their page, wasn't bad, but you are going to drill it out use the smallest you can find to match your nozzles diameter and try not to break it of in the nozzle. But with that type of hotend, I would try and find some good ways to cold pull some pla, or using something like an allan wrench big enough to fit in the hole maybe a hair smaller heat the hot end up and push everything out. Put a small 40mm fan on that hotend toward the top. Once you do that your prints will probably turn out better. Then I would look into different mounts to replace that hotend end with an e3d.

Also, I noticed (looked at a build guide so your parts might be a bit different) you have a smoothie board or basically an all in one driver board, those are cool and cut down on BOM but can be expensive to replace. I would go for an arduino + RAMPS 1.4 setup because we can always change out drivers if they are bad.

I really like how yours has the wades extruder on it. I want to get one printed but right now not happening yet. If you went bowden your speed can increase with little quality loss. Once I get the y axis to stop wobbling so bad I might be able to print a bit faster. I have to get an sd card for this camera of mine that magically appeared and more pics will be taken, but I have some new prints that are coming off the bed pretty well. This print surface has got to be super level at all times and it can't stay level with the bed wobbly. Also, moving the position of the motor for the bed needs to move so it's in the center and better bearing clamps must be printed. Along with many other parts to come.

If you need any parts let me know, I also have a friend at work who has a da vinci pro v2 who has his pretty well calibrated. I can see if he can help out, too. I sent him quite a few troubleshooting guides and print quality guides. I was thinking of doing a write up on calibration technics and the like to help others who need to ask questions and don't know where to ask them.

I am actually getting things moving along quite nicely, finally!

I think, in the end, the problem was a dusty bed surface! LOL Thanks to Mario for helping me out on that, I'd been wiping it off with a paper towel, but still wasn't getting adhestion; he suggested an alcohol wipe, took care of most of my adhesion issues.

I've got a problem with warping on the trailing edge of the part, but right now I'm getting serviceable, if not pretty, prints, so I'm beyond excited.

Might need a new hotbed.. I kind of gouged the Heck out of mine while getting calibration figured out :(

That can wait though, for now it's working fine.

Back