ram swap

I remember seeing someone swapping out the 2 1mb ram chips on the n64 mobo for 2 2mb ram chips, I know to use chipquik to remove the chips but where do you get the 2 2mb ram chips to replace them and how do you go about removing and wiring the slot where the expansion pack originally connected.

MarioOwnsAll

The 2mb chips can be found in certain n64s that have one ram chip, and on expansion packs. You have to put it in a n64 that has the two 1mb chips, and you have to hard wire the jumper pack in where the slot goes, I think daft mike has a picture on his blog, I'll link to it when I get a chance. Now how to remove the slot, I have no idea.

Actually, the Expansion pack contains 4mb of ram. N64 boards revisions 1-5 all have 2, 2mb ram chips. Revisions 6-9 have 1, 4mb ram chip. To ramswap, you have to get a revision 1,2,3,4, or 5 board, take off the 2 ramchips, and replace them with ramchips from a expansion pack or a revision 6,7,8 or 9 board.

As for how to take off/put on new ramchips, this video teaches you what you need to know about Surface Mount Soldering-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY

FierceDeity said:
Actually, the Expansion pack contains 4mb of ram. N64 boards revisions 1-5 all have 2, 2mb ram chips. Revisions 6-9 have 1, 4mb ram chip. To ramswap, you have to get a revision 1,2,3,4, or 5 board, take off the 2 ramchips, and replace them with ramchips from a expansion pack or a revision 6,7,8 or 9 board.

As for how to take off/put on new ramchips, this video teaches you what you need to know about Surface Mount Soldering-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NN7UGWYmBY
Thanks FeirceDeity, the video helped a lot (I'm going to need a soldering iron with a finer tip) just 2 more questions.

1. I've seen more then one type of expansion pack, which one one works for the ram swap and which one doesn't?
2. How do you know what revision your board is?

MarioOwnsAll

The Revision is marked on the top of the board-
n64board.png

That board is a rev 5-1, which is the same as a rev 5.

Also, there is only one type of expansion pack. There is a jumper pack, which goes into the same spot, but it has no ram.

About your iron- I've ramswapped with a $15 radio shack iron, and I use that iron for everything, including RCP wiring etc.., so you don't need to spend too much money on a new iron, any is usually fine. The only thing is too make sure you use lots of flux, it makes everything easier.

Some third party packs are known to use two of the smaller chips, but official ones will have one larger one. So you want the real thing.

Back