Left/Right Inverted on PS2 Stick on Makopad Board...?

treminaor

Solved: Solution is to rotate the joystick 90 degrees so that the X axis is the Y axis and vise versa. Then connect the Y wire to the X axis data wire and the X wire to the Y axis data wire. If your Y axis is inverted, swap your power and ground wires with each other and it will fix the issue.

I wired up a PS2 (or was it PS3? I can't remember) joystick to the wires on my Makopad (Superpad Plus, the one that isn't shaped like a traditional n64 controller) board... The mako pin labels aren't the clearest and some are covered with opaque yellow glue so I sort of just guessed which one was Vertical data and which was Horizontal data. Red/Black was obvious enough. The joystick had no pin labels at all but I assumed they were (left to right) power, data, ground... ground, data, power. I figured out the hard way that they weren't both in power, data, ground order by blowing the DC fuse in my PSU bridging the ground to the power on the joystick lol. Should have checked with a multimeter first but who would have guessed the pin groups would be in inverted order lol.

The joystick 'works', but left input makes the camera go right, and right input makes it go left - its inverted. I thought maybe I had the joystick upside-down but up makes the camera go up and down makes it go down. So vertical is correct.

I tested on the Crusin' USA track selection menu to make absolutely sure my up/down was not inverted. It's definitely just left/right. What could cause this?

Here's my wiring and a half-assed shot of the Makopad board:

To explain what you're looking at, I bridged the two ground ports to each other using the short white wire and then ran a red wire to the negative/ground wire for the joystick. The 3.3v power wire is connected to the power connection on the bottom left pin you're looking at in the image of the joystick, and the top right power pin has nothing because I assume both don't need power for things to work.
E3ZDRIP.jpg

In this image you see the red 3.3v wire, the black ground wire, the orange-ish horizontal data wire, and the brown-ish vertical data wire.
EIov0tq.jpg

I noticed for the 3DS stick people use 1k resistors to fix some sort of inverted axis problem... is this a similar issue? viewtopic.php?f=33&t=8256&hilit=inverted

I just wired up a 1st party gamecube joystick to my makopad board and it works correctly, no inverted axis... how do I fix the inverted X axis on the PS2 joystick?

watsug said:
Switch the ground and voltage lines on one of the potentiometers.
I've done that by accident already and it shorts out the board. I have to wait 10 minutes before the board starts working again.

I rotated it 180 degrees and swapped the X and Y axis data wires and now it works correctly. However when I play GoldenEye the cursor drifts slowly up and right (+X +Y) no matter where the location of the stick is... which makes me wonder if its a wiring or resistance issue instead of a deadzone issue. I booted up a racing game and didn't notice the car pulling to the right at all.

This issue didn't happen when I first wired the joystick up to test it... but now that I have it glued in the case it's giving me trouble :evil2:

Edit: I sprayed some compressed air into the joystick insides and it solved the drifting issue. The deadzone is still a little sensitive but you literally only notice it on games where you have a cursor like GoldenEye so I think I'll be alright the way it is.

treminaor said:
I rotated it 180 degrees and swapped the X and Y axis data wires and now it works correctly. However when I play GoldenEye the cursor drifts slowly up and right (+X +Y) no matter where the location of the stick is... which makes me wonder if its a wiring or resistance issue instead of a deadzone issue. I booted up a racing game and didn't notice the car pulling to the right at all.

This issue didn't happen when I first wired the joystick up to test it... but now that I have it glued in the case it's giving me trouble :evil2:

Edit: I sprayed some compressed air into the joystick insides and it solved the drifting issue. The deadzone is still a little sensitive but you literally only notice it on games where you have a cursor like GoldenEye so I think I'll be alright the way it is.

Sounds like you need some pull-down resistors.

SteamDNT said:
I have a bag full of resistors, what would you recommend?

Side note, now I'm dealing with an issue where the system thinks I'm holding down the C-Down button. Duke Nukem won't stop walking backwards and my character stares at the sky in Perfect Dark and GoldenEye... :confused:

treminaor said:
SteamDNT said:

Side note, now I'm dealing with an issue where the system thinks I'm holding down the C-Down button. Duke Nukem won't stop walking backwards and my character stares at the sky in Perfect Dark and GoldenEye... :confused:

Somewhere in the 1-10 kohm range should work.

SteamDNT said:
treminaor said:
SteamDNT said:

Somewhere in the 1-10 kohm range should work.

Would they go on the data or the voltage?

Also I've completely desoldered my C-Up/Down and D-Up/Down signal and ground wires from the board and yet my character is STILL staring up at the ceiling in GoldenEye and Perfect Dark. WTF is going on??

I put 5.1k resistors on the X and Y data wires and it slowed down the drift but didn't solve it at all. It just lowered the sensitivity of the problem. The drift is actually worse today than it was last night, the cursor moves to the top right of the screen by itself after about 2 seconds of being idle on the GoldenEye menu.

I've resoldered the wires to the joystick X number of times but the drift doesn't change. I've sprayed it with compressed air to clean the inside. Still not solved... any ideas? It's a 1st party PS2 stick and the board is a makopad/superpad plus

treminaor said:
I put 5.1k resistors on the X and Y data wires and it slowed down the drift but didn't solve it at all. It just lowered the sensitivity of the problem. The drift is actually worse today than it was last night, the cursor moves to the top right of the screen by itself after about 2 seconds of being idle on the GoldenEye menu.

I've resoldered the wires to the joystick X number of times but the drift doesn't change. I've sprayed it with compressed air to clean the inside. Still not solved... any ideas? It's a 1st party PS2 stick and the board is a makopad/superpad plus

The Resistor should be connected in parallel to the data line, not in series.
Code:
data ---------------------N64
           |
          ~
           |
          GND

SteamDNT said:
The Resistor should be connected in parallel to the data line, not in series.
Code:
data ---------------------N64
           |
          ~
           |
          GND
Could you please explain this in an even simpler way, I don't understand how the resistor connection is being illustrated in your diagram. What points/wires should have resistors on them? Forgive my ignorance :rolleyes:

previously I tried:
Code:
X data -> resistor #1 -> n64
Y data -> resistor #2 -> n64
V+ -> n64
G- -> n64

Should look something like:

Code:
Xdata: ---> n64
        \--->Resistor #1 --- > GND 

Ydata -->n64
       \--->Resistor #2 --- > GND

V+ -> n64
G -> n64

SteamDNT said:
Should look something like:

Code:
Xdata: ---> n64
        \--->Resistor #1 --- > GND 

Ydata -->n64
       \--->Resistor #2 --- > GND

V+ -> n64
G -> n64
I just tried this with two 1k and then two 5k resistors and all it did was lower the sensitivity of the stick. The curosr still moves faster right than it does left, and faster up than it does down.

As a random test I rewired up the gamecube joystick that worked fine previously, and now it has the exact same drifting issue as the PS2 and PS3 sticks. This is becoming infuriating. Obviously its the wiring or the controller, not the sticks.

Back