LumiDesk!

Bibin

Frequent Poster
So I got fed up with typing in the pitch-black dark late at night with nothing to help me see the keyboard (not that I can't touchtype, but sometimes the F keys evade me), so I purchased a $12 Electroluminescent Panel set to make a light for my keyboard.

Here's the panel:

panel.jpg

I split it into two 2.5" x 6" strips, since EL panels can be cut however you wish, and put them on the underside of my desk.

underoff.jpg

Here's the final result:

Off:
unlit.jpg

On:
lit.jpg

underon.jpg

I like it!

Now that, is awesome. Is it on the actual desk? It appears to be on the keyboard itself. Why is it named the LumiDesk?

eurddrue said:
Now that, is awesome. Is it on the actual desk? It appears to be on the keyboard itself. Why is it named the LumiDesk?

It is a set of EL panels taped to my desk. Hold on, taking more pics is now.

bacteria said:
Nice idea. Another one would have been to buy a keyboard which has keys that illuminate fully (designed for late night gaming).

That'd be too easy though ;)

bacteria said:
Nice idea. Another one would have been to buy a keyboard which has keys that illuminate fully (designed for late night gaming).

The thing is, the keyboard I have is one that I love the feel of, and it has a better layout than the gaming keyboards I've seen.

Those cost way more than 12 dollars, too. Besides, they are all made for Windows usually, so they aren't of much use.

bacteria said:
Fair enough. How about luminous paint for the letters on the keyboard?
The issue is that luminous paint is not bright at all, and does not last long after a charge. On top of that, that would require actually modifying my keyboard, and if I got a new one, I'd have to paint it again.

It runs off of 12V DC at about 400 mA. I will be using some of this stuff running off of 3VDC at ~100mA for a backlight some time soon. I already posted teaser pics I believe.

Bibin said:
It runs off of 12V DC at about 400 mA. I will be using some of this stuff running off of 3VDC at ~100mA for a backlight some time soon. I already posted teaser pics I believe.
oohh!! dowantdowantdowant! how big can you get em?

Caredo said:
Basement_Modder said:
I would imagine a 12v 400mA DC adapter.
Oh, hey, sarcasm!

I meant the source. I can't see Bibin wasting a power outlet on this.

I didn't intend sarcasm. If not an outlet, then I'm not sure what. I think it may be an outlet, though. After all, there are plenty of outlets around a desk. ;)

I have like ~50 outlets, split among three power lines, so it didn't hurt to take away one outlet.

Setup:

Outlet 120VAC @ 60hz --> AC to DC transformer, putting out 12VDC @ 400mA --> DC to AC inverter, putting out 120VAC @ 1800mhz

You can run it off of direct house voltage, but it will be very dim due to the low frequency.

it runs off AC electricity? Interesting.

edit: also, would running it through a transformer be of any use to you in getting better brightness rather than converting to DC and then back to AC?

The voltage, and likely current, are constant in brightness. It's like some kinds of LEDs, where it is made brighter by upping the frequency.

I see. Perhaps an LC circuit would help? angular frequency = 1/sqrt(LC)
L = inductance
C = capacitance

I'd have to refresh myself on my physics, though. I can' remember if and how these circuits are used to alter Alternating Currents, we may have dealt with them only with turning Direct Currents into Alternating Currents.

Back