Playnendo 264: Yes, it's a 2-in-1!! *1/2/11 updates*

Bizzar1

First I just want to say hi as this is my first post. I have been lurking and gathering info for the past few days and found this site to be the most helpful. It started out with the new release of Goldeneye for the Wii. I then broke out my N64 for some good old fashioned gaming. Then I shoved in Zelda Ocerina of Time and holy cow that is STILL a great game. Then I thought "hey why not make my n64 portable so I can play Zelda anywhere" so I began chopping up parts. Then it was off to google for a little info on a few things and WOW, I didn't realize so many people think alike and this has been something that's been done 100 times over. Mind you I had already started this project before searching the net and then a thought came over me...hmm I don't use my PS2 slim anymore either. Which leads us to this work in progress...

Playnendo 264. (no it may not be the final name hah)

N64 + PS2 Slim + 8" touchscreen + dual analog.

I already have most of it wired and mocked up and fully tested on the bench. The idea was a dual system to play mainly my favorite games of all time ie: Goldeneye, Zelda, Grand Tourismo and Tekken. I wanted it portable yet also to be used as a full console with a/v outs, controller ports etc. It uses a modified PC controller (just the analogs and button layout), PS2 controller board and N64 superpad controller board with a switch to switch between N64 "C" joystick and PS2 dual analogs with down click. Z trigger is used on either side as it has 4 top buttons ( R1/2 + L1/2). Size was of little concern (obviously). The screen is from my old carpc and has been sitting for years. Its a fairly high res screen (1024x768 native) and looks amazing playing dvd's off the ps2 as well as games. It also has a VGA port and USB to use as a screen for your laptop or PC with a touch-panel. Yes a little overkill but it was just laying there collecting dust. Besides, this entire project is overkill!

So is it compact? Well, not really but it is quite small considering what it does. It measures just under 14" wide and under 2.5" tall.

How much does it weigh? It's a tank! Really? Two consoles in one with a large 8" screen AND batteries. Well what did you expect? This is something you can set on your lap and play comfortably or on your desk.

Lets move onto a few pictures. Never mind the mess as this is just barely the beginning stages. Just a few teasers for now as I hope to bang out most of it this weekend. I thought about leaving the case clear but tooling and materials just won't quite allow for a pretty case like some I have seen. I have a little surprise up my sleeve :) These pics are from a few days ago and some changes have been made. As you can see these are the pre-wired stage and the parts are just laying there for reference. The PS2 cd/dvd loads from the backside using the stock lid. The rest has been pretty much hacked to bits lol!

img1071ow.jpg

img1064o.jpg

img1063.jpg

Re: Playnendo 264: Yes, it's a 2-in-1!! *wop*

Excellent choice of system combo! That is some might clean clear casing!

BY FAR THE BEST FIRST POST, EVAR!

And, may I ask what screen are you using?

Put a PC in there too.

Seriously though, that is awesome!

why would the portable benefit from a touchscreen? looks great btw cant wait to see it finished!

YES! CAN'T WAIT! I need PICS! But really a touch screen? :D

Do you have huge hands? Because it seems like the joysticks are really far in.

zeturi said:
Excellent choice of system combo! That is some might clean clear casing!

BY FAR THE BEST FIRST POST, EVAR!

And, may I ask what screen are you using?

It's an older Provision screen. I think its just a re-badged Lilliput but I havent been able to find this model again. I would say its a good 6+ years old.

Hrduncan said:
why would the portable benefit from a touchscreen? looks great btw cant wait to see it finished!

There is no benefit really. Its just what I had at my disposal to use. I am trying to do this as "cheap" as possible. Besides its just cool that you can plug it into a laptop and use it. I guess a novelty feature?

bassmasta said:
Do you have huge hands? Because it seems like the joysticks are really far in.

No I have rather small hands actually. I stand a whopping 5'6" with proportionate hands haha. It's an illusion. The sides of the case followed the same lines as the controllers side grips so no, although they appear to be very far in, they are no further in than holding a regular PS2 controller.

Thanks for the feedback now back to work!

Wow, I smell an awesome new portablizer. :) Looks like you actually know what you are doing. Do you know anything about microcontrollers? You could really do something useful with that touchscreen is you do.

Mario said:
Wow, I smell an awesome new portablizer. :) Looks like you actually know what you are doing. Do you know anything about microcontrollers? You could really do something useful with that touchscreen is you do.

I he does he should use the touch screen for the C buttons. So you could drag the camera around!

- mymixed

Holy crap you actually knew what you were doing before you started! You sir, are a god.

mymixed said:
Mario said:

I he does he should use the touch screen for the C buttons. So you could drag the camera around!

- mymixed

Hrmm now you're on to something ;) While not new to programming pics, but writing code...eh no. Well not yet at least. Is there someone here who could perhaps do this? I'm thinking touch controls for left analog, tap screen to fire or something along those lines. I could send the touch panel with the touch controller out. I've even considered gyro sensors so it could be used like a giant iPhone :rofl: So anyways...

Test run before stuffing it all inside the case. So far the biggest hurdle has been the "c-stick" as I am using a ps2 right analog that doubles up as the c-stick in n64 mode. What a pita but I think I have it figured out! Silly me was wiring my resistors BEFORE my switch instead of after. It was making the ps2 not go full range but its just about sorted out now. Have the wires twisted up on the bench and they seem to be working well in both n64 and ps2 modes. I just need to find a smaller switch. Its either that or use 2 switches which I don't want to do. Getting close maybe another week or two just been too darn busy with work and this flu is killing me. Dang snowbirds bringing their sickness south screw you!

Here ya go, little short test run video. I'll post another video up once I get a switch for the controls. For now I have to untie the wires and swap them. A bit hard to do one handed recording with my phone...and timely as its 8 wires!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAeqCX9O0XU

Jleemero's another good person to talk to about the screen programming, although he'd probably prefer to do it with you, rather than for you.

Re: Playnendo 264: Yes, it's a 2-in-1!! *wip*

Amazing! This is so great! Cant wait for more progress.

- mymixed

Re: Playnendo 264: Yes, it's a 2-in-1!! *wip*

Looking fantastic so far.

mymixed said:
Mario said:

Actually, I prototyped something that did this once...
I just used the touchscreen module (not a whole LCD or anything) and a Microcontroller, on an N64 controller.
I had it working the D-Pad, not the C Buttons, so I could touch to run around in Bomberman and Kirby 64.
My original intention was to create a touchscreen controller, built in screen, etc, for use with the N64. Never did though.

I still could, if I ever felt up to it...

Back