Great bargains from E-bay / Garage / Yard / Car boot sales

Re: Great bargains from E-bay / Garage / Yard / Car boot sal

I just won an Atari 2600 for $10 on eBay. What a fantastic deal.

I was waiting till black friday to get a TV, but I went into a goodwill today and changed my mind.

I found a 37" Westinghouse for $150. I plugged it into the wall, it turned on and worked fine.

It has:
2x DVI
1x VGA
1x RCA
1x S-video

The quality isn't bad, I've got my Wii and a slim ps2 hooked up with component. I've got my NES set up with composite. It's definitely not anything amazing, but the screen's a lot bigger than my old 20" CRT, and I can finally watch movies without bars on the sides. For $150, I think it was a good deal.

Poseidon said:
Bumping this.

-Today I went to a shady little antique store and got a green Play It Loud Gameboy in beautiful condition for $10. I was super stoked. This place also has a black one for $19, and I haven't seen one online for less than like $60 or something.
-I found a silver Gameboy Pocket at Savers in a bin of cameras and cd players and flax. It was $3. It works perfectly.
-My mom bought me a red Gameboy SP for $5 from one of her co-workers. It's in great shape for being owned by an eight-year-old.
-I score rad shoes at Savers ALL THE TIME. I got a pair of classy Puma First Round hi-tops for $10 last week.

I swear to god I will be a hoarder. fml fml fml.
I've a problem buying shoes from resale. That being said, I do love getting other general clothing resale. My favorite pair of pants ever I got from some random resale place in Houston.

Got Red Play it Loud Gameboy, the clear case, and two games for $10 on eBay. :D

Hermaphroditus said:
Poseidon said:
Bumping this.

-Today I went to a shady little antique store and got a green Play It Loud Gameboy in beautiful condition for $10. I was super stoked. This place also has a black one for $19, and I haven't seen one online for less than like $60 or something.
-I found a silver Gameboy Pocket at Savers in a bin of cameras and cd players and flax. It was $3. It works perfectly.
-My mom bought me a red Gameboy SP for $5 from one of her co-workers. It's in great shape for being owned by an eight-year-old.
-I score rad shoes at Savers ALL THE TIME. I got a pair of classy Puma First Round hi-tops for $10 last week.

I swear to god I will be a hoarder. fml fml fml.
I've a problem buying shoes from resale. That being said, I do love getting other general clothing resale. My favorite pair of pants ever I got from some random resale place in Houston.
I only buy pre-owned shoes if they've been treated well & aren't gross. It's funny cos pre-owned clothes freak me out more for some reason! I'm alright with shirts normally, but I don't think I could handle pants.

NTerror7 said:
Got Red Play it Loud Gameboy, the clear case, and two games for $10 on eBay. :D
RAD. I'm jealous!

I only buy pre-owned shoes if they've been treated well & aren't gross. It's funny cos pre-owned clothes freak me out more for some reason! I'm alright with shirts normally, but I don't think I could handle pants.

It depends on the pants, but usually they're fine with a wash or dry-clean. I got some maroon flares I can barely fit into at a Goodwill. I legit have to lay on the bed to get them on. They're awesome, I don't wear them much, though. Kinda just got them for the novelty.

And of course shirts are fine. I am picky with shirts, though.

Oh, and of course suit coats. I've gotten a few from thrift shops. Thing is, they often don't have what I like in my size. I'm a bit large, and sadly one of the coolest suit coats I've seen was like a 34, whereas I wear like a ...45-50 or something. I don't remember exactly. I just know anything in the 30s is *Can'tSayThisOnTV*ING small.

3 n64's for $20. Fried one, but the other one has been successfully trimmed!

Nes with one controller, AC adapter, Tetris, and Tetris GB for $30

NTerror7 said:
Nes with one controller, AC adapter, Tetris, and Tetris GB for $30
NES Tetris was Nintendo published I assume?

6401659671_c90752952f_m.jpg

Yamaha CS1x synthesizer. $199 used

It's sweet.

Also, prog, it's the Nintendo one :p

Found a WRT54G v2 at Savers for $10. :awesome: Probably going to add an SD slot and serial ports. Maybe add sockets to the empty pin headers. (Edit: Maybe even USB?)

Goodwill had a 5" portable TV from 1990 for $5. Who could pass that up? :awesome:

tv1.jpg

I can't wait to turn it on and watch all the broadcast shows it picks up!

tv2.jpg

Oh, right. :(

Well at least it has an external antenna jack for the cable box!

tv3.jpg

Meh, what else is on?

tv5.jpg

Oh Heck yea. :awesome:

The picture on this thing is PERFECT. It just needed a little tuning because the people at Goodwill play with all the knobs in an attempt to make it magically tune into a digital ATSC broadcast. :rolleyes: Good news is I think I can hotwire Composite into it by tapping onto an IC near the RF tuner. If not I just need to find a spot for a 7805 to run a small RF modulator connected to the internal antenna point. Maybe it will get a DTV tuner box if I can find one for the right price.

I've had a WRT54G laying around for years. (Actually, I have it set up as a novelty WiFi network name.)

What can you do with them?

That's the router we use. My parents don't understand the need for good internet and a good router.

It is a good router for light use as long as it's running DD-WRT and not the watered down Linksys firmware.

Use a separate gigabit switch for all your wired devices and link it to a port on the router. You'll get much faster local file transfer speeds (good for LAN streaming), and you'll take some of the load off the router as well.

Positioning of the router is important for wireless to work properly. Don't put it near anything that emits RF noise, such as a microwave, TV, wireless telephone, florescent tubes, or even the computer. They emit a bubble of RF noise, so all it can hear is the noise not other WiFi devices. The router needs about 3 feet of space between it and noisy electronics.

Also remember that WiFi acts like a big slow hub no matter if it's a,b,g, or n. The slowest device on the wireless will drag everything else down with it, and the more devices you have the slower everything will work. For best results, hardwire everything you can into a gig switch.

The WRT54g's internal network ports can only do 100baseT Ethernet, which isn't very fast for local traffic but is 10x faster than most Internet connections and about twice as fast as 802.11g. Unless you have a 100 meg synchronous fiber Internet connection at home, your bottleneck is the modem, not the router.

Mario said:
What can you do with them?

Practically anything. With a new firmware (DD-WRT, Tomato, etc), it can do things expensive enterprise APs can do (although a bit slower). Run newer, more secure wireless encryption. Add an SD card slot and use it as a basic static web and file server. Some versions can be modded with USB ports. Use them as the brains for a robot. Make it a WiFi repeater. Separate a LAN port and hook up a PC to use as a server that's accessible over the Internet. Throw bigger antennas on and crank up the power until it almost cooks itself. Anything!

Whelp, I know what I'm doing today! :awesome:

The one time I need Internet Explorer (to flash DD-WRT) and it's not on my laptop. I've never felt so conflicted. Gonna try installing Safari.

Actually the first sound to come out of it when I plugged it in was Heck's Bells...
NMLYA.gif

bic said:
Actually the first sound to come out of it when I plugged it in was Heck's Bells...
NMLYA.gif
woah
that's heavy

Back