Fried Wii?

Noah

Frequent Poster
So I went to turn on my Wii today, and nothing. Tried a different power source, again nothing. Both power sources were working fine, etc etc. The U19 reg (right next to the wireless card) gets super hot upon turning the system on. Not sure if this has happened to anyone, already ordered a couple more Wiis anyways, but hey if I could get it working again that'd be nice. Also, it appears that the other parts of the board aren't getting any voltage (Can't find anything with my multimeter)

Yes, I had this same issue. That's the one of the 3.3v regulators but i just can't remember exactly what the issue was! The only thing I can imagine is some kind of short among the hidden layers, but that wouldn't be likely if you haven't trimmed the board. What exactly have you done with it?

9GTQWjo.jpg

Here's what I have trimmed, and the red circle is the reg that gets hot.

Which board are you using? If its the one in the picture it is a cpu-30, which has 6 layers. 6 layer boards are Heck to cut.

Cutting the ground plain that close to the board means you probably shorted one of the voltage lines/layers to ground, another voltage layer, or something else.

The regulators will shut down everything and not boot if any short or excess current draw is detected. I'm still figuring out exactly works.

That regulator you circled is the 3.3v always on voltage line. It controls the bios chip (MX) and other functions that remain on while the Wii is off such as the Bluetooth chip. It is a linear regulator, so it naturally heats up, but excessive power draw could make it get even more hot.

I'm using a cpu-40, which I believe has 4 layers. (Yeah?)

I've got two more Wii's coming anyhow, so it doesn't really matter if it can be fixed or not.

I've had issues cutting through the GC port side. Make sure it is sanded well and the layers aren't touching.

Also, where are you applying power? After trimming one board like you did, my Wii wouldn't power on and I swore I killed it. In reality, I had killed some connections between either ground or power where the DC in pins are and also on the inductor thing next to it. If you haven't, try applying power and ground elsewhere. I'm pretty sure leaving the og power pin connected and using the hole next to the SD slot for ground worked for me. Let me go look at some old pics to make sure.

Anyway, if you were using the original power and ground pins, that might be your issue. Pretty sure this sort of trim can kill some ground points on the CPU side of the board.

Edit:
CLySmKFl.jpg

Terrible pic, but you can see where I have my battery ground running to the SD card ground hole. I had voltage connected to the original DC 12v pin. Try that and see if it boots if any of this sounds relevant.

Back