Wii bit smaller: Revisions, Die shrinks, Layers, and more

Shank

Formerly Known As Dyxlesci
Prologue:

I initially joined the modretro community wanting to make a simple wii portable. But then I decided to go overkill. What started as a simple mod has had me attempting to deconstruct the wii to find as much information in the uncharted sea that is wii portablizing. The Wii has so much untapped potential.

Along the way, I met Blargaman, and he and I have set on the ambitious task of trimming the Wii to its limits. His electrical engineering knowledge has been invaluable along the way, and I would like to start out that this is all as much his findings as it is mine. Not much information has been documented on the wii and its many revisions, and people gave up on the wii upon discovering how may layers the boards have, and how many hidden traces wait to be severed.

The wii is cheap today. I have been able to get wiis for $15 or less on a regular basis. I have gone between 15-20 wiis in the past few months, most of which have not survived surgery. The disc drives are still worth a decent amount of money, so those can be sold to recover costs.

Our work is not done, but I am sick in bed and decided this would be a good opportunity to share our findings. Please note all testing and information is about NTSC wiis and may or may not apply to other regions.

THE DISCOVERIES:

The die shrink: Nintendo actually performed a die shrink on the wii back in 2009, dropping the cpu from 90nm to 65nm.
wii_pcb_comparison.jpg

Image curtesy of hackmii.

This makes a world of difference, especially in reducing power consumption. But how much? Heres the power consumption of both iterations of the wii under the same conditions.
90nm Wii: ~12v 1.3A
65nm Wii: ~12v .8A
That is approximately a 40% reduction in power consumption. So systems using this new chip will accomplish the same tasks while consuming much less power and creating much less heat. This is great news for portablizers

To which Wiis does this apply? Heres a timeline:
November 19, 2006: Wii (90nm) goes on sale, exclusively in White
~2008-2009: Nintendo switches over to 65nm chips (exact date unconfirmed)
May 9, 2010: Wii is released in black, sold alongside white wii
October 23, 2011: Wii family edition is launched
November 17, 2013: Wii mini Launches

By this timeline, we can confirm:
All Wii consoles without gamecube controller ports have the die shrunk chip.
All Black Wiis (including ones with gamecube controller ports) have die shrunk chip
SOME White Wiis have die shrunk chips.

I currently know of no way to tell if a white wii is the correct revision from the outside. As of now, I have to take it apart to find this information out.

TL;DR: Buying a black wii with gamecube controller ports ensures you get both an efficient chip and gamecube compatibility.

CUTTING:

While I have been looking into the cpu, figuring out how to buy the right revision, and comparisons between boards, Blargaman has been busy looking into trimming possibilities. I have sent him package after package of wii boards and he has used his Dremel to unearth some interesting discoveries.
Although the RVL-CPU-30 features a die shrunk cpu, its board contains many layers and hidden traces, making significant trimming almost impossible. For the longest time, this was believed to be the case for all Wiis.
jWsfBWv.jpg

RVL-CPU-30, featuring hidden layers and traces waiting to short you when you least expected.

Blargaman later discovered an even newer revision of the wii: the RVL-CPU-40
3GRDYrU.jpg

I have a cpu-30 with a date of 0902, and a cpu-40 with a date of 0909, so the cpu-40 began production some time between the 2nd and 9th week of 2009. The date of production digits can be found in the bottom left corner of both the cpu and gpu, along with some sd card slots and other components, depending on the revision.
With visible traces, and less layers, this board is a dream come true. Blargaman has had phenomenal progress trimming this board.
Here is a picture of a working trim of his. I see a bright future for the wii.
WyNr3Qn.jpg

TL;DR RVL-CPU-40 is the best to use. It features less layers, and more of the traces are visible. It is used in every single black wii with gamecube ports.

****UPDATE 1****
IDENTIFYING:
You can remove the bios battery tray to view the motherboard revision without disassembling your system. Simply remove the single screw, slide out the tray, and read the 2 digit number (01, 20, 30, 40, 60 or another yet to be discovered revision)

ALBUM OF WII BOARDS
http://imgur.com/a/npLbg

PICTURES FROM EBAY
I drank a coke before going to bed. So I am awake. I went on ebay and found pictures of 2 boards I don't have documentation on. I have contacted a seller to see if he will take pictures of his boards for me.
http://imgur.com/a/tKwSd

This is a WIP, and I would love any and all feedback or new information.

Re: Wii bit smaller: Revisions, Die shrinks, Layers, and mor

Great work man, we really do sit in the dark when it comes to Wii developments around here seeing as there is so much gamecube modding.

Anyways one thing I have noticed is that the wii will not start up without the bluetooth chip plugged in. This is bad news if you specifically making a smash machine but who really cares it's not that big a chip and your cut leaves its connector and its surface area underneath.

Another thing to consider about the Wii is the software is highly modable. At this point you can get away with loading all game off the front SD alone if you don't want to use a WiiKey, you can just use WiiFlow.

trevor403 said:
Great work man, we really do sit in the dark when it comes to Wii developments around here seeing as there is so much gamecube modding.

Yes. And Im hoping to change that a little.
trevor403 said:
Anyways one thing I have noticed is that the wii will not start up without the bluetooth chip plugged in. This is bad news if you specifically making a smash machine but who really cares it's not that big a chip and your cut leaves its connector and its surface area underneath.

Yes, the Bluetooth module is needed, but its tiny and blargaman has successfully relocated it, so it should not be an issue. The WiFi module is the one that he left the connector and surface area for.

trevor403 said:
Another thing to consider about the Wii is the software is highly modable. At this point you can get away with loading all game off the front SD alone if you don't want to use a WiiKey, you can just use WiiFlow.

Exactly! Everything can be done with software. Not only can the Wii run GameCube and Wii games natively, it can run N64, SNES, NES, and more through virtual console, and even more through emulation that takes advantage of the Wii's additional power. USB loaders have fantastic user interfaces, and homebrew, such as Nintendont, which is changing the way we run GameCube games. So much untapped potential in this little box.

With some time, I see the older model Wii's being able to be a trimmed a good amount, but one would have to go in blind cutting them without knowing what'll be severed. The difference between the two boards is a double layer vs. a triple layer.

Anyone with some older boards to spare and the right equipment could help uncover what hidden data and voltage lines exist in the middle and most inner layers of the older Wii.

Nice to see the progress made on the Wii. Just wondering though on that last pic you have posted with the board cut up how big would you say that is? And also how much have you been able to cut off it?

thatguythere said:
Nice to see the progress made on the Wii. Just wondering though on that last pic you have posted with the board cut up how big would you say that is? And also how much have you been able to cut off it?

I can't give specifics because the board is not in my possession, but I have a similar but slightly larger one he cut for me that is 6.2" by 4.2" at longest and widest points. Blargaman could probably give a measurement, as he sent me that picture.

I have worked with bigger cuts that have easily fit into a Wii u gamepad case. The uncut board is about the size of a Wii, and that board uses the same (cpu-40) board as one of the pictures, so that should give a comparison of how much is cut off.

Anybody have a horizontal Wii? Ive heard that all of them still have the solder pads for GameCube stuff, but I have been unable to locate much evidence. I'm curious if they use a different board revision. They also have a very interesting mystery port too

I have two boards to spare, I wont be cutting them up, anyone who does want to do the work PM me. I'm getting rid of these boards because I wanna get some boards with clean clean NANDs. One board I have already uncovered as a C/RVL-CPU-01 and the other I haven't opened yet. I'd be 100% happy to send the one I already have open but if anyone knows a way to wipe the NAND squeaky clean I'd love that for the second Wii (it was my wii as a kid). My only guess is to reinstall SystemMenu? Thanks, and PM me!

I'm attempting to sand down the cpu-40 (4 layer) board for scanning but am struggling to get to the hidden layer.

If anyone who knows how to sand boards wants me to send them a board or 2, I will do so free of charge, and even pay shipping. All I ask in return is posting scans for the citizens of modretro

TWrV4W0.jpg

The lack of discussion in this thread saddens me, but I still love you guys so here's some news. Here's cpu-40 bottom hidden layer. Top hidden appears to be all ground but I am not 100% sure just yet on that. My board was wobbly so some areas sanded too far, but estimations can be made from what is there.
The board is 4 layers. I'll upload scans of both visible layers and bottom hidden layer later.

Is it OK to triple post if you have new significant information but have no replies?

Hope so.

More discoveries. By removing the bios battery tray, you can see the board number written in tiny letters on the board. This way you can figure out what revision your board is without opening it! Simply unscrew the single Phillips screw, pull out the tray, and shine some light to see either 01, 20, 30, or 40. This is your revision number. This is great, because you can quickly identify a boards revision without having to buy them and gut them.

One Wii at a shop I saw had 60 written in this location. I have never seen a 60 before, or even a 50 for that matter. Come march 1st I will pick it up (along with several 40s) and post it's naked internals to the internet.

Still trying to hunt down an inexpensive family edition. Resellers came in to my local shop, bought a bunch with the intention of loading up pirated games and selling them in mexico. This is making my objective quite difficuilt.

Much more to come.

It's okay to post anything that is new and relevant to modding Dyxlesci lol. I do have one of the original white wii's that I purchased at launch, tho it stopped working a few years ago and I never investigated as to why. If there is someone who would want it for research purposes send me a PM and let me know. Id be glad to help the cause by giving back some.

naimlessone said:
It's okay to post anything that is new and relevant to modding Dyxlesci lol. I do have one of the original white wii's that I purchased at launch, tho it stopped working a few years ago and I never investigated as to why. If there is someone who would want it for research purposes send me a PM and let me know. Id be glad to help the cause by giving back some.

Can you unscrew the bios battery tray and see what revision it is? That'll let us know if it is of any potential use

I'll have to find it, but when I do I'll be sure to do that

This needs to be stickied.

Bush said:
This needs to be stickied.

I would be honored to have something I wrote stickied.
Hope it makes others lives easier.

So I found my old Wii. The number is 01 inside the bios battery slot. Lemme know if it is of any use.

I'm discussing with the engineering department at my UNI to attempt to get access to the industrial xray machine. That would be helpful mapping the boards.

naimlessone said:
So I found my old Wii. The number is 01 inside the bios battery slot. Lemme know if it is of any use.

I have quite a few of those, but I'm sure I could find an effective use for it. Maybe I could strip it and get layer info.

Using my newfound bios tray discovery, I stopped my local pawn shop and decided to check all revision numbers to see if there were any undocumented versions. While doing so, I sorted them.

X4YNlYu.jpg

In addition to what is pictured, there was a white CPU 60, a black CPU 60, and two black CPU 40s. So there's some survey statistics for ya. They didn't have any family editions, so the hunt continues.

I bought a 60 and a 40. I will document the 60 later and upload the other scans later. DFW has been chaos since the snowpocalypse, and my university is playing catch up.

This is awesome work Dyx! You know, I was sad to hear that Bacmans forum shut down, tho I never really frequented it, and with this type of work being done on the Wiis I hope to see that it keeps this forum going.

If you want me to send you the board out of the 01 that I have send me a PM. If you're in the States id be happy to send it to you for free. I have no use for it besides maybe some GC ports which i'd strip before sending. Let me know!

naimlessone said:
This is awesome work Dicks!
ಠ_ಠ

But in all seriousness, Ill take your board. I live in the states, and will PM you my address.

I have access to laser cutters, 3d printers and more, so Ill gladly return the favor however I can

Yo I might have a board you can have, too. It's just taking up space right now.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Back