Wii bit smaller: Revisions, Die shrinks, Layers, and more

Re: Wii bit smaller: Revisions, Die shrinks, Layers, and mor

bentomo said:
I'm more interested in a potentially more efficient gamecube portable with support for various wii games and emulators.

Bingo. That's the goal we are working towards. Hardware wise, a Wii is just an upgraded gamecubes.

Just finished testing and so far I have concluded if you don't use any nintendo channels (no wiiware, vc, or wii games), you don't need a disc drive connected to the console for the system to function (for my testing I left all disc drive cables disconnected). Emulators and nintendont do not require a disc drive or stand-in chip. So, if you don't need wii-game functionality (eg more efficient gc portable with emulators) then you can just lop the dd connector off and forget about it ^-^

Very interesting. I'm curious if it is written into the software of the games itself to do ocassional checks, or if it is a channel/ios coding to call the drive. Im not sure, but the latter would be easier to fix, with a single mod while the former would require individual patches on a per game basis.

Its all good info to know, but with how small wasps are, it probably isn't worth it to run it without one. Losing Wii games like PM and all the virtual console games just doesn't seem worth it.

But hot Dang cheese, you are on fire. Keep it up.

Agreed, hoping to avoid the wasp all together since you could load games from an internal hard drive, but oh well. As long as mega keeps supplying them it's alright.

bentomo said:
Agreed, hoping to avoid the wasp all together since you could load games from an internal hard drive, but oh well. As long as mega keeps supplying them it's alright.

Some disc drive boards are tiny as is, but the larger disc drive boards can be cut pretty small, and a hard drive can be used to load games through USB.

I've heard a while ago that GameCube games can't be loaded through USB due to the Wii peripherals turning off, including the USB ports. Is this still true these days?

You sir, have a lot of reading to catch up on. Welcome to the future my friend. Ill fill you in.
The MIOS (IOS used to load gamecube games) used to block off all wii functionality.

DIOS MIOS changed all that. It was a modification of the MIOS. It enabled USB loading, but not SD loading. Its been out for years. A modified version DIOS MIOS LITE, added SD card functionality, but doesn't allow USB.
But, surprisingly, DIOS MIOS is actually discontinued support wise.

Ever heard of nintendont? Those clever Playstations figured out how to run a software interpreter to make gamecube games run natively on the wii and use all its capabilities without being restricted by or even using the mios. It'll even work on wiis without a MIOS, such as the Wii U. Its wonderful. Ive been following the project since day one, and its progress and capabilities just blows my mind. You may want to brace yourself for this one:
https://github.com/FIX94/Nintendont
Copy paste in 3... 2... 1...

Nintendont

A Wii Homebrew Project to play GC Games on Wii and vWii on Wii U

Features:

-Works on Wii and vWii on Wii U
-Full speed loading from an USB device, or a SD card
-Loads 1:1 and compressed .ISO disc images
-Loads games as extracted files (FST)
-Play retail discs (Wii only)
-Play backups from writable DVD media (Old Wii only)
-Memory card emulation
-Use real memory card (Wii only)
-GBA-Link cable (Wii only)
-Play audio via disc audio streaming
-Bluetooth controller support (Classic Controller (Pro), Wii U Pro Controller)
-HID controller support via USB
-Custom button layout when using HID controllers
-Cheat code support
-WiiRd (Wii only)
-Changeable configuration of various settings
-Reset/Power off via button combo (R + Z + Start) (R + Z + B + D-Pad Down)
-Advanced video mode patching, force progressive and force 16:9 widescreen
-Auto boot from loader
-Disc switching
-Allow use of the Nintendo GameCube Microphone
-Use the official Nintendo GameCube controller adapter

Wii > Gamecube
Wii is master race.

Did some work on the a/v portion of the board, started mapping the pins of the connector. Nintendo has a interesting way of numbering the pins on this interesting connector, since it combines the a/v port and the sensor bar power pins all on one piece, the numbering is 1-16 for the a/v, and then 17 + 18 for the sensor bar. So far, I have mapped the following pins (I'll continue mapping and update with more pin connections)
1 audio left
2 audio right
3 composite video
5 gnd
6 gnd
12 gnd
17 sensor bar (goes through C117 and FIL31 to 5v)
18 sensor bar (probably switching gnd/nc, leads to FIL47 -> base Q24, emitter Q24 -> gnd, collector Q24 -> TP216)
video_pinout.png

All research, including full size scans of sanded RVL-40 are publicly hosted on my server, here. If you've got something you'd like added, just pm me and I'll get it up on there! This is a community effort after all :p

Wow this is amazing I can't wait to see more progress I just bought a new wii today and I'm hoping to make it portable I'm very excited for the future of wii portablizing

Cheese, I love you man. Keep it up! I plan to make a thread later that encompasses information about all wiis rather than the differences between them.

GarageFactory
If you don't plan on purchasing more than 1, I suggest not cutting just yet. We are unraveling the inner workings, but until we figure how the onboard regulaton system works, we won't be able to help you diagnose problems much or tell you where to cut.

I'm glad the discussion has picked up and people are interested.

Wow that sounds pretty good. Just ordered a black rvl-001 to try out all the USB loading and see what software configuration works. I'm ordering another one to see if I can get it to load Wii games without a fusion or dvd drive.

Hi. I'm getting a late start on this, looks like I've got some ground to cover in catching up to speed. I'm absolutely into the concept of stripping down the system to its bare minimum in order to essentially modulize the console. I've combined systems in the past creating combos, but have always been limited to having a one system on at time approach. I believe the Wii may be the key to making them all act as one system due to its flexible software, so naturally any help I can provide essentially helps me as well. Where are we by the way. I'm reading over this at lunch an haven't actually sat down to make notes yet, so forgive me if its self explanatory.

I do have a question though. I'm trying to make a top loading disc drive work for Wii. I've frankenfied one that works out of PS parts but I was wondering if there is an easier way without using wode. I was hoping the Wii mini has and easy solution, but 100 bucks for a single drive is a little steep.

Edit: better disc drive work on the Wii.

Im not really understanding what you are trying to say/ask as it seems you are just thinking outloud in text form.

Buuuuuut...
You can find used Wii minis on ebay, and local stuff like Craigslist for much much cheaper than new. I have purchased 2 Wii minis, 1 for $20 and one for $25. However, almost nothing is known about the Wii mini, so we won't really be able to help you. I wouldn't recommend going through all that work for a top loading disc drive. I say ditch the disc drive altogether and USB load everything

And if you do happen to get a Wii Mini drive working on a Wii, it won't accept GC discs because Nintendo put a different firmware on the disk drives for RVL-101 and up. I guess there's always Nintendont, but then it makes having a DD useless. Long story short, USB/SD loading > DD.

Its more for the authenticity. Its basically the Wii and other stuff crammed into a GameCube case. I do have a working drive I made but it isn't the easiest thing to make. The Wii is to big for the case, so my solution was to add a retrode 2 to the mix and locate the cartridge slots to the left and right facing vertically. It hides the board and is functional at the same time.

After reading more of these posts, I'm not sure I have much to offer. I've had some success in using kapton to make custom ribbons and link different components together after cutting them apart. It helps to keep everything from looking like a spiders nest. Let me know if I can help in any way.

If you can trace the traces or figure out how the power regulation logic works that would be incredibly helpful

Can you make ribbon cables where all the wires are (nearly, within 1mm or less) the same length? That would help greatly in relocating the WiFi module, since (I believe) you can buy the connectors off digikey or something

Cheese, that is an excellent point. Having ribbon cables of the correct pitch will allow us to solder them to the pads on the board

Back