Custom Gamecube Regulator!! Wiikey Fusion/WODE compatible!!!

Re: New Custom Gamecube Regulator! Updated!!! GC Power Draw!

Something I didn't notice until just now (while I'm ordering from Mouser) about this diagram. The resistor specifications seem odd.... so I'm assuming they should really all be in kOhms?

So it should actually be.....

Parts used are :

1.9v - PTR08100W + 903 kOhm resisitor and 2x 100uF caps
3.4v - PTH08080W + 1.87 kOhm resisitor and 2x 100uF caps (1 cap on the output line is optional and not really needed)
5v - PTH08080W + 348 kOhm resistor and 2x 100uF caps (1 cap on the output line is optional and not really needed)

I'm also assuming that the resistors don't need to be exactly 903 kOhm, 1.87 kOhm and 348 kOhm. Should be able to vary a bit without effecting final voltage output that much I would think...... please correct me if I'm wrong.

Ashen said:
Something I didn't notice until just now (while I'm ordering from Mouser) about this diagram. The resistor specifications seem odd.... so I'm assuming they should really all be in kOhms?

So it should actually be.....

Parts used are :

1.9v - PTR08100W + 903 kOhm resisitor and 2x 100uF caps
3.4v - PTH08080W + 1.87 kOhm resisitor and 2x 100uF caps (1 cap on the output line is optional and not really needed)
5v - PTH08080W + 348 kOhm resistor and 2x 100uF caps (1 cap on the output line is optional and not really needed)

I'm also assuming that the resistors don't need to be exactly 903 kOhm, 1.87 kOhm and 348 kOhm. Should be able to vary a bit without effecting final voltage output that much I would think...... please correct me if I'm wrong.

i had the same problem when i was ordering these parts. the numbers did seem weird as a lot of them did not come up on certain sites like digikey and what not.....

i managed to get a few of them and they did work properly but not sure about variations...

Resistors are in ohm not kohm. Check the datasheet of the regulators. It has a list in it with the correct resistor value.

They don't have to be exact but shouldn't be too far off either otherwise you'll get a voltage difference. For the 1.9v that's a problem. As 1.8v gives problems and above 1.9v has not really been tested. It might just fry the cube.

Once my workshop rebuild has been finished I'm going to test the gamecube with various voltages to see what it does and how it effects gameplay.

so one of those resistor really is a 1.8 Ohm one?

no that's a 1.87 kohm one. Sorry listed that wrong. I'll change it right away.

Thx for clearing that up Zen, I'll be shooting and e-mail your way shortly about our little project. Sorry I havent got back to you sooner. Was out of town a few days and have had a general lack of free time.

No problem man. We're not in a rush so no worries ;)

Been doing some extra tests on the gamecube. This might be usefull for better battery life but still needs to be tested more.

tophiddenlayervoltage.jpg

The GPU (ATI flipper chip on the middle of the gamecube) and the CPU (IBM chip next to GPU) both run on 1.9v.. Once the regulator is connected it bridges the 1.9v connection. The 2.2v area is converted from 3.4v with a little regulator chip on the bottom left (if you are looking on the top side of the board facing the av port). So no need to do anything with that. The 12v is used for the sound amp. The 5v line is used for controller rumble, memorycard line (which as far I as know is not used with any accessory) and the discdrive motor.

Since the 5v line is now not needed anymore due to the wiikey fusion modchip we only need the two 1.9v lines and the 3.4v line. I wanted to test each chip to see what they draw and what the lowest voltage is they can work off.

GPU (Flipper chip) The lowest it can go is 1.7v lower than that and the video image will glitch

----- Boot -- In game
1.9v - 3.3A - 3.4A
1.8v - 3.1A - 3.2A
1.7v - 2.9A - 3.0A

CPU (IBM chip) The lowest it can go is 1.5v lower than that and the gamecube will hang and not boot up

----- Boot -- In game:
1.9v - 3.1A - 2.7A
1.8v - 2.7A - 2.4A
1.7v - 2.6A - 2.3A
1.6v - 2.5A - 2.1A
1.5v - 2.2A - 1.9A

Also I have noticed they can also accept higher voltage but the amp draw goes up like crazy also it becomes unstable and heats up more. So no use in posting that info. You can see that running both chips off a custom regulator set to 1.7v will draw a total of 5.3A (in game) compared to 6.1A (in game) on 1.9v. Run each chip of separate regulators set at 1.7v and 1.5v and the total draw is 4.9A (in game).

I still have to test plenty of things before I can say this makes a real difference or not but I've had the gamecube running of 1.7v, 1.5v and 3.4v and all games I threw at it work perfect. Nothing was slower, nothing glitched, nothing was different in any way noticable. Long term effects still needs to be tested.

Just wanted to give you a little info on my research. ;)

Awesome work Zen! keep us posted.

why does the transformer that comes with the gamecube output 12v at around 3 amps, if the max amp draw at that level is 1.5 amps?

to be safe i guess, industrial items tend to be that way, for public usage

Well would you look here. It seems the ifo was available all the time

http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/chap2.html

Check the voltage pinout. You will see the CPU runs on 1.55v and the GPU runs on 1.8v That the regulator does 1.9v was probably to make things cheaper.

Having the GPU run of 1.7v as I have done works fine as well as 1.5v for the CPU. This is good to know that it will work properly as it was suppossed to work of that voltage in the first place.

GOOD STUFF!!!!

Lol

Try to power on the gamecube with a battery that starts at 9v. So not turning it on when battery is above 10.2v

You will notice that it will not turn on. You can however continue playing while the battery level drops. Even below 10.2v this is already known knowlage. Something I did not bother to post as when you stop playing when your battery is below 10.2v you can't turn it on anymore.

OR it does work and you regulator might be a different revision that I've never encounterd before.

Ive tried booting off of 9v, and it doesn't work.

unicycler17 said:
Ive tried booting off of 9v, and it doesn't work.
With a 9v battery? :awesome:

zenloc said:
Lol

Try to power on the gamecube with a battery that starts at 9v. So not turning it on when battery is above 10.2v

You will notice that it will not turn on. You can however continue playing while the battery level drops. Even below 10.2v this is already known knowlage. Something I did not bother to post as when you stop playing when your battery is below 10.2v you can't turn it on anymore.

OR it does work and you regulator might be a different revision that I've never encounterd before.
Ahhhh... I thought I finally did something in the "GameCube hacking revolution..."

Ok I have some great news! With my newest regulator for a WiiKey Fusion or WODE. The gamecube will draw a total of 1.7A (a bit lower in game) on 7.4v. This is the lowest I can get it with everything working 100%.

Let me explain:

The GPU takes 1.8v originally. I was able to power it of 1.7v while still working correctly. Drawing 3A at 1.7v
The CPU takes 1.55v originally. I was able to power it of 1.5v while still working correctly. Drawing 2.2A at 1.5v
The 3.3v line will stay the same as putting a lower voltage in won't make any difference in amp draw. Drawing 0.8A at 3.3v

By using a PTR08060 or PTR08100 for the 1.7v line
a PTH08080 or PTH08000 for the 1.5v line
and another PTH08080 or PTH08000 for the 3.3v line
we now have the possibility to bring down the total amp draw!!!

PTR08060 and PTR08100 need 100uF caps on output and input. PTH08080 and PTH08000 only need 100uf caps on input.

Following my diagram below you will be able to see which resistors you need to get the appropriate voltage.
diagramresistors.png

The other regulators on this diagram are for powering the cube of a single 3.7v battery. Amp draw is not as effecient as 7.4v so not really worth your time.

The total draw of running the cube of these 3 regulators is 1.7A (a bit lower in game). If you don't want to bother with 2 separate regulators for the CPU and GPU. You can use the PTR08060 or PTR08100 on 1.7v to power both chips. The difference in total draw is 0.2A. As running it of those 2 regulators will give you a total of 1.9A on 7.4v

It's your choice. Note that the draw of the WODE and WiiKey chips have to be added. I still need to measure those.

Re: Custom Gamecube Regulator!! Wiikey Fusion/WODE compatibl

yes!!!!!!!!!!! you are a God zenloc ( I have said this before but still). *runs off to plug some numbers in his calculator*

Just to clarify, does "1K07 Ohm" mean "1.07K Ohm" ????

So using this regulator setup with a 7.4v battery delivers the most efficient regulation?

:awesome: A delicious 600 mAmps! Good show zenloc!!

Back