Custom Gamecube Regulator!! Wiikey Fusion/WODE compatible!!!

Re: New Custom Gamecube Regulator! Updated!!! GC Power Draw!!!

Digi-key? Mouser? Even eBay probably has the parts you need.

i cannot find 903 Ohm resisitor on any of those sites

get a 900 ohm resistor and a 3 ohm resistor. :V

Get like a hundred pack of 900 ohm resistors. Unless they are 1% tolerance, you should find one that measures 903 ohms in there.

Nice, And if i can't find a 110µF capacitor, do i just do the same with a stack of 100µF ?

XCVG said:
Get like a hundred pack of 900 ohm resistors. Unless they are 1% tolerance, you should find one that measures 903 ohms in there.

Even 1% tolerance would be 891ohms -909ohms wouldn't it. ;)

With a multimeter. You do have a multimeter that measures resistance, right? If not, get one. A multimeter is an essential tool, you can get a decent one on sale for less than $20.

And I don't think it works with capacitors, sorry! It should be a lot easier to find 110uF capacitors, though.

EDIT: Looking at the datasheet, it seems 100uF capacitors should work just fine instead of 110uF ones. 100uF is the minimum value; it seems you can use anything over 100uF. Using, say, a 4700uF capacitor would be a bit excessive, though.

is it gonna be the same resistances if i have some pth8000 instead of pth8080?

And is it really 1.8 Ohm for the 3.3V line? or is it 1.8 Kohm?

1.8K. 1.8 Ohm would probably cause the regulator to catch fire. And yeah, the resistances are the same for both.

Updated the first post with a schematic of the custom regulator

zenloc, you are my portablizing idol!

haha no sweat. I see your new envision gc looks similar to my old gcmini. I'm also busy with it at the moment. Let's see how they compare when the're done.

zenloc said:
haha no sweat. I see your new envision gc looks similar to my old gcmini. I'm also busy with it at the moment. Let's see how they compare when the're done.

haha........yeah...... :sweat:

Re: New Custom Gamecube Regulator! Updated!!! GC Power Draw!

Just a question !
When you powered the GC of 7.4V how do you get sound ? You have to make a new sound amplifier ?
That's great anyway

The original sound amp can work of lower voltages. Just put 7.4v through the chip and sound works fine. You could also just remove the sound amp all together and use one that works of lower voltages.

Since you can't connect speakers or headphone directly to the gamecube (sounds to low) your better of removing it and using a small sound amp like what's on the psone screen to get proper sound.

Little update. I've just run the gamecube off 3.7v with just one regulator. The amp draw is crazy high. 5.4A to be exact. I get the feeling the regulator is not that effecient. Then again it is powering a 7A 1.9v line and a 0.8A 3.4v line the voltage difference of 1.9v to 3.4v isn't that much so the draw would not reduce that much anyway.

I have also connected 7.4v to the gamecube with the 2 regulators already in my guide which draw 2.3A.

Both of these are just the 1.9v and 3.4v line. Running the gamecube of one battery seems pointless as it would not even last you an hour. And as you can see the 7.4v regulators are more effecient. With 2x 3.7v 5000A batteries you would get around 2 hours of gameplay. If that is not enough for you then don't bother using a custom built regulator as you can use the original one which powers of a 3cell (11,1v) and 4 (14,8v) cell battery pack. The only real benefit of this is that it's smaller than the original regulator.

Very nice Zen. I had suspected the draw was going to be an issue running on such a low voltage. Thx for reporting your findings!

No probs!! :cool: I'm also gonna battery test the cube running of the 3.7v regulator and the 7.4v regulator to see what the actual time difference is.

I'll post my results here as usual.

By the way how's your portable coming along??

mathematically speaking, the 7.4v route will get you more battery life:

5" LCD Screen: 280mAh
Fan: 50mAh (???)

Running cube off 7.4v
5000mAh / (2400 + 280 + 50) = 1.8315 hours battery life

Running cube off 3.7v
10000mAh / (5400 + 280 + 50) = 1.745 hours battery life

So 7.4v is slightly better
. But if there is a more efficient regulator for 3.7v, then maybe it would be better. I'm not totally sure how the regulator affects amperage.

Back