Help understanding Zenlocks 1700mA GC draw regulator.

So I had a thorough read through Zenlocks thread on regulators but have been left a bit confused I think some pictures have expired and I couldn't really find an explanation as to how you can get the gamecube to only draw 1.7A. From what I can tell from reading the thread is that you need to supply separate Voltages to the GPU and CPU to draw such low amperage. I was really hoping someone could talk me through it so I can get a better grasp on what I need to do. Any help would be much appreciated.

I'm no expert and have only ever region modded a GameCube, but I can maybe provide a bit of insight. First of all, the regulator isn't any more efficient, it has the ability to output the required voltages at a lower input voltage, which is good because it lets you use smaller batteries. An unmodded GameCube still regulates those voltages with onboard regulators and sends them to the different components, it just takes a higher input voltage at a lower amperage to operate. This regulator can do it at lower voltages and higher currents. Power = voltage x current, so powerwise it's about the same, but it lets you use a lower voltage which means smaller batteries.

Last edited:
I'm no expert and have only ever region modded a GameCube, but I can maybe provide a bit of insight. First of all, the regulator isn't any more efficient, it has the ability to output the required voltages at a lower input voltage, which is good because it lets you use smaller batteries. An unmodded GameCube still regulates those voltages with onboard regulators and sends them to the different components, it just takes a higher input voltage at a lower amperage to operate. This regulator can do it at lower voltages and higher currents. Power = voltage x current, so powerwise it's about the same, but it lets you use a lower voltage which means smaller batteries.

Thanks I'm aware of all of this but somehow the dark wizard Zenloc has managed to get an overall amperage draw of 1700mA which as I'm sure you are aware is considerably lower than the gamecubes usual draw this is achieved by by separating the voltage line for the cpu gpu in to two separate voltages this saves 200mA and it would appear that the switching regulators he uses are in fact slightly more efficient as the gamecube will run off of these low voltages at such a low Amp draw.

Right, for the wiikey fusion regulator it is the efficiency for sure. But as I said above, these voltages are already separate normally. So don't think of it as zenloc found a way to save power by wiring voltage separately - because that's normal. He made a bunch of high efficiency regulators that save power across the board and at the end of his post he added, if you're lazy you can just power those two chips with the same 1.7v and sacrifice 200mA.

Right, for the wiikey fusion regulator it is the efficiency for sure. But as I said above, these voltages are already separate normally. So don't think of it as zenloc found a way to save power by wiring voltage separately - because that's normal. He made a bunch of high efficiency regulators that save power across the board and at the end of his post he added, if you're lazy you can just power those two chips with the same 1.7v and sacrifice 200mA.
Yes the rails for the CPU and GPU may be separate but they both normally take the same Voltage so like I said by supplying different Voltages to each rail you save 200mA we are saying the same thing you are just trying to pick holes in what i am saying.

As I said, I'm not an expert, I came in here only trying to help, and gave you some info based on things I know.
Here is what I'm getting my information from, which is from Zenloc's post. But you know, if you're just going to claim to know everything and accuse me of poking holes for no reason as if the only reason I get on here is to poke holes in posts, then why don't you just figure it out for yourself.
28rcj12.jpg

Last edited:
As I said, I'm not an expert, I came in here only trying to help, and gave you some info based on things I know.
Here is what I'm getting my information from, which is from Zenloc's post. But you know, if you're just going to claim to know everything and accuse me of poking holes for no reason as if the only reason I get on here is to poke holes in posts, then why don't you just figure it out for yourself.
28rcj12.jpg

? I was just saying we are saying the same thing, I think we can both read and have both surmised the same knowledge. That is why I was wondering why you seemed to be openly trying to poke holes in what I was saying when we were clearly saying the same thing. I am no expert that's why I made this post to find people who were or could at least try to help me out a bit at no point did I infer that I knew everything which I think should be fairly apparent due to the fact that I made this thread in the first place. I'm not here to argue with people I'm just here to gain knowledge from friendly people something this forum seems to be fairly devoid of, to clarify I am not saying you are unfriendly merely that this forum seems to have lost many of its great helpful, friendly people who are willing to help out a new comer.

Okay, we are not saying the same thing. I'm saying that the voltages are different, as in different values. You are saying they are the same. The picture I uploaded has zenloc posting them as different voltages. That's what I'm trying to say. I suppose what we have here is a failure to communicate. No hard feelings.

Back