We are back up!

PalmerTech

Founder of Modretro
Staff member
We are back up!

We did our server swap with Hostgator, but thanks to a combination of "FFFFUUU HOSTGATOR" and "Palmer learns how DNS works!", we ended up with a clone of ModRetro on our new server, but our nameservers pointing back to the old ModRetro. Everything is fixed now, and it looks like we only lost two topics from yesterday in the process. :)

New MR should be a little faster! :awesome: Enjoy!

I had no idea a server swap would be so hard! I think BH was down for two weeks and lost a lot of posts when they did their swap a few years ago, I now very much sympathize with ordeals like that.

I had to talk to Hostgator multiple times on customer support, and Jelly had to spend hours rebuilding all our subdomains and FTP accounts and all manner of other nasties.

The biggest thing was the MySQL database.

Having to redo all the subdomains (including default ones, WTF, mail servers, FTP, etc.), and all the FTP related stuff, logging settings, mail accounts (password reset, WAT), etc, easy, just annoying.

But the MySQL stuff, just, ugh.
HostGator limits your permissions so much, I could've done it in half an hour if I was allowed to use an UNRESTRICTED MySQL console.
But oh well, I did it a slow, horribly aggravating way, and it worked, so can't complain now I suppose.

Back