The Pr0Cube: GameCube Portable WIP

zeldaxpro

Hey guys zeldaxpro here with my GameCube Portable Worklog. I'm calling it The Pr0Cube. Ever since I seen Ashen's GameCube Revolution, I have been wanting to build my own GameCube Portable. Plus I am a big Zelda fan and the GameCube has a nice collection of Epic Zelda Games. I have been researching for around 5 months and have started it around a month ago.

Here are some features I am going to include:

Trimmed GameCube Motherboard (custom trim)
Custom Vacuum Formed Case
Wiikey Fusion for SD Booting
Zenl0cs Custom Regulator (Powering the GPU and CPU separately for maximum battery life)
Original GameCube Controls
5" 640x480 TFT LCD Dalian "Good Display" (because they support 15khz and 31khz VGA)
Official GameCube Component Cable (modding it to output VGA)
Official GameCube Memory Card 64mb (internal slot a)
Slot B Original Memory Card Port
Stereo Speakers
Internal Batteries and Wall Power Support
And Anything Else I Might Add Later :)

Here are some videos that I did recently:

Here are some pictures:

trimmedmotherboard.jpg

I use one for testing and the other I might use for my final

Different Varied Trim I might use:
trimmedmotherboard2.jpg

Some Memory Card Ports:
memorycardports.jpg

GameCube Component Cable:
GamecubeComponentCable.jpg

I will be modding this very soon

Wiikey Fusion with Trimmed FFC36 Breakout Board:
wiikeyfusion.jpg

ffc36board.jpg

Here is the Original Heatsink, But I am thinking of using the IBM 380Z Fan that Zenl0c pointed out:

HeatsinkandPads.jpg

IBM380ZFan.jpg

Zenl0cs (Now called LOCtronics)

Thats about it for now. I will try to keep you guys updated as much as I can. If you guys have any suggestions or comments feel free to post them. If you guys also want to talk to me on Facebook just send me a friend request (make sure you are logged in before clicking the link):
http://www.facebook.com/zelda.xpro

Thanks again.

Re: The Pr0Cube: GameCube Portable Worklog

Thanks nuke. I still have a lot to do before I see this finished but in time right lol. I've seen your progress on your PocketCube and it's really coming along nicely. Can't wait to see it complete.

Whoo... Looks expensive with all that good stuff in there. I approve.

lol thanks superben51. The only little issue I might have is when I do the VGA mod on the Component Chip, how exactly do I solder the chip directly to the board? That's why I did different trims because I don't know if you need to solder right to the digital av port or if there are relocation points. I know Tchay and Ashen used the Component Chip with OMGWTF Trims so it is possible. Maybe I could get some help maybe a diagram or some tips from them or anyone else who knows how. It would be greatly appreciated.

Nice cut and very good screen!!!!!

Good Luck with your portable ;)

Thanks public-pervert but I was actually talking about the actual component chip being wired directly to the GameCube Motherboard. I was wondering if there are relocation points or what you need to hook up the chip right to the Motherboard.

You can wire directly to the AV chip on the actual GC motherboard. I don't have any diagrams, but you just need to trace where each pin goes. It's easy.

I also see that you didn't cut the Digital Out solder points, which makes it even easier :)

oh ok I see, I would just wire up the the Component Chip pins with the corresponding Digital AV Out pins on the Motherboard. Thanks man.

Ok guys just a quick update. For internal batteries I am thinking of getting these:

tenergy2600mah.jpg

These are great because they have PCB built in. They are rated at 3.7v 2600mAh. I'm thinking of getting 6 of them and wire them to get 11.1v 5200mAh, which should run the system for around 3hrs. It should be plenty to run the screen and the rest of the system. I'm thinking of inputting 11.1v directly in the audio amp on the motherboard because it can take anywhere from 5-12v. Or I can build another regulator to get around 7.4v to power the audio amp, because 5v doesn't sound to well with one of my boards. You guys have any suggestions? Thanks.

The 11.1v set-up won't really work, due to the fact the batteries voltage drops when they are drained and with 11.1v batteries when they drain about half-way then they won't be able to power on the GC anymore. You need to ether use 14.8v or build custom regs.

I'm building Zenl0cs Custom Regulator so 11.1v should work fine.

Yup should be fine. You could also just build a step-up reg for the screen and just use 7.4v.

I was thinking of using a step up regulator, but I'm pretty sure step up regulators are not that efficient. Since I'm probably gonna use 6 of those cells, it doesn't really matter if its 7.4v 7800mAh or 11.1v 5200mAh because according to Zenl0cs GC amp draw:

7.4v - 2.3 Amps (min) 2.4 Amps (max)
11.1v - 1.5 Amps (min) 1.6 Amps (max)

so if I calculate using the max:

11.1v: 5.2/1.6 = 3.25hrs
7.4v: 7.8/2.4 = 3.25hrs

So its gonna be around 3hrs (because you have to include the fan, wiikey, screen, etc) either way.

Or if I wanna use 4 cells to try to make my GCP Smaller:

14.8v: 2.6/1.3 = 2hrs
7.4v: 5.2/2.4 = 2.17hrs

I would get around 2hrs. But I am powering the GPU and CPU separately for maximum battery life, so I may get more, I'm not sure how much it will give me but batteries really isn't a problem. Still, I will look into step up regulators because I am not familiar with them.

My screen says in the back "9v~36v" and running well in 5v.

I put double wire to GND of Powerboard pin 1 to pin 1 of Motherboard. And bridge the 5v to the 12 v on Motherboard.

But i'm use the original powerboard and 12v battery pack 6800mAh

MoRZiLLo I am not using the original powerboard and the screen has nothing to do with bridging the 5v and 12v line. If you are referring to the sound running a minimal at 5v, not all GameCubes run well with 5v for sound, as I have one that does not, and it is not a big deal. I am not wiring my power to the powerboard pins, but to the GPU and CPU and directly to the audio amp. I don't understand exactly what you mean. You do not have the same screen as me, and the newer Dalian Screens supposedly need a minimum of 9v to run as using anything lower caused it to flicker and not turn on.

Mine is a 4.3" screen ebay, not a dalian, but is similar internally.

If you have a PAL dol 001 or Revision A, the sound is well at 5v.

When i have the 12v line, the sound isn't good and now is loud and clean(with external amp or not).

The only thing is if you don't use and external amp, the sound is very low.

But the screen runs perfect, only if you double the GND to the motherboard, with or without the powerboard(custom regulator), you need GND line.

If you not double the GND line, the screen is flickering all time.

MoRZiLLo you are not understanding. The GameCube Motherboards I have are fine, and I didn't even use the Dalian Screen with the GameCube yet. The Flickering is due to not enough volts, not Ground. And I plan on using an external audio amp, the sound is not going to be a problem. I don't get what you are saying, you are not making any sense. Everything you said was pretty much irrelevant.

Ok. My only intention is to help. You say that your dalian screen need 9V but my screen need too 9V.
I only put double the wire to ground and my screen runs off of 5V without problems.
Sorry for my poor explanations. I only think that maybe this helps you.

Back