The Pr0Cube: GameCube Portable WIP

Hey guys here are some pics of the vacuum form table. The table doesn't look the nicest but it gets the job done quite nice. Enjoy!:

finalvacuumtable1.jpg

finalvacuumtable2.jpg

finalvacuumtable3.jpg

The inside dimensions of the table are 12x12 (inches) which is perfect for what I need it for. My case dimensions are going to be around 7.75x4.6. Not sure on height yet but hoping to keep it under 1.5inches. Shape of case will be similar to Tchay's Envision (which is amazing). More updates to come soon.

I like the foam you have on the vacuum table. I should probably do the same to mine. I noticed that if I dont apply a lot of pressure on the frame for the plastic, then the plastic wont get sucked down, I'm sure if I had some foam like you have, then i wouldnt have any problems. looks like a fine table to me!

bugman said:
I like the foam you have on the vacuum table. I should probably do the same to mine. I noticed that if I dont apply a lot of pressure on the frame for the plastic, then the plastic wont get sucked down, I'm sure if I had some foam like you have, then i wouldnt have any problems. looks like a fine table to me!

Thanks bugman appreciate the positive feedback. Yeah the foam around really does help seal and make a good suction, I have tried it. I bought it at homedepot but I am sure you can get it anywhere. It is called foam weather stripping. They have different sizes and stuff, but you can get like 5 feet of it for like $4-5 its pretty cheap. It's got an adhesive bottom so all you do is just stick it on where you want it.

Hey guys I am here with another update on my GCP. Enjoy the Pics:

Zenl0cFan3_zpse77ff889.jpg

^^ 4 Zenl0c Fans :D I actually got these 4 locally from a friend dirt cheap and I am sure he has plenty more just in case I need more. I hear these things are amazing:

LOCtronics (Zenl0c) said:
I used the original pads from an original heatsink to transfer the heatfrom the chips to the new heatsink. It works perfectly. I have been playing for hours on end and it never... I repreat NEVER get's hot!! The heatsink is also super light because it's made of thin aluminium. Perfect for portables.

I will have to mill/cut them just a bit as Zenl0c said but the dimensions are around: 4.17" x 1.93" x 0.31"

Its super thin compared to the original:

Zenl0cFan2_zpsc7305bed.jpg

Zenl0cFan1_zpsee6abeed.jpg

That's it for now, more updates to come so stay tuned :)

Hey guys I'm here with a minor update. I've been on the computer designing and finalizing the dimensions of my case. The dimensions will be 8x5. Thickness should be 1.4" or less. The mold should be made this week, and then I am going to order some HIPS. Stay tuned :)

EDIT 2/8/13: For all of you guys wondering what my GCP will look like, here is just a general design I made up on Microsoft Word. It is pretty accurate, but it may vary as time goes on:

gcpcasefinal1_zps69ed358d.png

gcpcasefinal2_zpseacb2366.png

More Updates to Come :)

That drawing looks sweet man! I like the red/black color scheme. How are you going to do the decals?

bugman said:
That drawing looks sweet man! I like the red/black color scheme. How are you going to do the decals?

The decal would just be a black vinyl decal I can get. I am still deciding whether or not I will do that.

Hey guys I am here with another update. I finished the mold. I think it turned out great:

GCMoldPCube4_zps0d4a7089.jpg

GCMoldPCube2_zpsd47b7657.jpg

GCMoldPCube1_zpsf0b85443.jpg

GCMoldPCube3_zps8e89ba83.jpg

I will be ordering the HIPS soon so I can form it. Stay tuned for more updates :)

Hey guys I'm back with another update:

I have my two halves formed. I will be cutting them out and getting the correct thickness soon. I might do 1" bottom and .5" top, or both .75". Not 100% sure on that so any advice would be appreciated. Here are some pics of the case halves:

GCPCase1_zpsf97442cc.jpg

GCPCase4_zps48a34f41.jpg

GCPCase2_zps390ae1e6.jpg

GCPCase3_zps3a3788e9.jpg

Stay tuned for more updates :)

Thanks bugman! And so do I lol. I'm using all official buttons/joysticks so I will probably frankencase to get the best results. I will have to experiment with frankencasing though on some spare vacuum formed cases that didn't turn out that well for me. Stay tuned.

Back