the ModRetro wiki showdown

PalmerTech

Founder of Modretro
Staff member
Starting September 1st, and ending September 30th. Whoever submits the most average words per article times the number of articles will win.

For example: You write 5 articles of 1000 words each for an average of 1000 per article. You now have 5000 points. The person with the most points at the end of the showdown will win, just keep track of what you write, and log it in this thread. For the whole of september, members are not allowed to edit posts made by other members. Once they start writing a page, they have dibs on it for the entire month of september.

What does the winner get? Why, they will win the position of co-wiki-admin for 3 months, at which time we will do this again. In addition, they will receive a special badge that marks them as a top contributor, and TRIPLE voting power in any polls or contests for 3 months. As a final cherry on top, they will be the proud owner of a 2.5" LCD screen, a 2200mah battery pack, a small plastic enclosure, and a superjoy3. A complete NESp package!

Go go go people!

the fine print: In order for the competitor to be eligible for the physical prize, they must obtain a minimum of 9001 points. In addition, the entire contest as a whole must generate at least 30,000 points. Either way, the adminship, triple voting power, and special signature badge will apply.

THIS WILL BE MY TALLY

I have posted the beginning of the soldering guide in the wiki. It is at 405 words, and I have finished the materials and tool learning sections.

I have started work on a n64 guide. Undecided as to whether or not to put it up, I've gotten past materials and opening the n64, at about 750 or so words. What do you guys think?

TOTAL FOR snowpenguin SO FAR: 405 words

Let's use this thread for each if us to tally our own points, so we know what the competition is.

Well, let's see, I installed the wiki...

With a couple hundred pages by default, most of which are fairly big, I'm easily above 40k points already.

Good luck everyone!

Of course I'm kidding, I won't be competing.

Question:

If I write one article at 1000 words and one at 750 words, is that 3500 points? Or is that 1750 points?

If I write 10 articles at 50 words each, tht is 500 points, correct?

snowpenguin said:
Question:

If I write one article at 1000 words and one at 750 words, is that 3500 points? Or is that 1750 points?

If I write 10 articles at 50 words each, tht is 500 points, correct?

Yes, yes.

Wait... This is flawed. I think we will have to do the AVEREAGE wordcount times the number of articles. Otherwise, you would write one 1000 word article, and twenty 10 word ones. :p

I will edit to reflect the change.

I've done a little so far, but I see one potential problem here.

It's a WIKI. Anyone can edit it, so a page you wrote could be modified for whatever reason (spelling, grammar, bad information, vandalism). Since this only applies to new articles, people may create new redundant articles as well.

Redundant articles do not count. And like I said, once you start an articles, you have "dibs" on it. No editing till the end of september unless you wrote the article! :p

PalmerTech said:
Redundant articles do not count. And like I said, once you start an articles, you have "dibs" on it. No editing till the end of september unless you wrote the article! :p

So you're willing to cripple the wiki for your contest? I'm sorry, I think this goes against the whole point of the competition, which is to encourage adding to the wiki.

XCVG, this is just for the first month, and since there will be a surge of posts, it will better the wiki. Then on October 1 everybody will be able to edit.

I'm sure misinformation will be handled during September.

So PAlmer, it is basically whoever writes the most words? I'm currently at about 1000.

All the pages I made are dibbsed by me. :awesome:

NEVERMIND! YOU GUYS ALREADY TOOK THEM

Whatever. I'm out.

I don't like competetions like this.

No editing someone else's page/adding to it, that doesn't count, and do not do so until the compo is over.

To claim a page as yours, you just submit at least 150 words to it, and it must not have pre-existing content from other contest entrants.

Userpages do not count towards score.

Pages previously created by users cannot be used in the compo.

SS

Some jerk "dibsed" a bunch of pages, does that count?

Also, I think pictures should be worth something, else we just get a wall of text.

Back