The afternoon projects thread

Took my "grape" N64 and replaced its standard red LED with an ultraviolet one. It matches the color scheme much better. Maybe I'll take pics once I get around to borrowing a decent camera.

themadhacker said:
You really have too much time on your hands.
he is a god.
he can make extra hours in the day, just to make video's.
he can smite people.
he can smite you!
he will smite you!
prepare to be......SHOCKSLAYED!!!!!!
:dahroll:

Well, I was adding LEDs to my N64 with a horrible soldering job and I may have bridged the +12v and +5v lines on the voltage regulator.

Assuming I've fried it, what should I salvage from the mobo? >__>

Caredo said:
Well, I was adding LEDs to my N64 with a horrible soldering job and I may have bridged the +12v and +5v lines on the voltage regulator.

Assuming I've fried it, what should I salvage from the mobo? >__>

You've probably fried it. The good news is that only a few things are powered off the 5V line, meaning that someone 1337 like Bacteria or ShockSlayer could probably fix it. The bad news is that you are not either one.

Okay, if you've fried it salvage the cartridge slot and all the ports. If it's RGB moddable, take off the VDC-NUS chip and keep it. If it has one RAM chip, take it off and keep it. You may want the PIF chip, but maybe not so you decide.

Have you tried to turn it on yet? That's the real way to know if it's fried. You could always send it to me...;)

marshallh once said if the RCP(the chip above the ram) gets hot within the first few seconds, its dead.

Is the 7805 still outputting 5v?

SS

That's bullflax, SS. The RCP ALWAYS gets hot on startup. It cools down after about 20 seconds though, if heatsinked properly. If it's burning hot to the touch, maybe, but not just hot.

eurddrue said:
That's bullflax, SS. The RCP ALWAYS gets hot on startup. It cools down after about 20 seconds though, if heatsinked properly. If it's burning hot to the touch, maybe, but not just hot.
What do you think he meant?!
Nearly EVERY IC heats up a bit!
Processors and whatnot will get quite warm!
What he means is that it will get exceptionally hot, more so than it usually does.

Heres my afternoon project. Disregard the dirty car :)

Before:
0521090915.jpg

During:
p1270014.jpg

p1270013.jpg

After:
p1270022.jpg

p1270023.jpg

Back