The afternoon projects thread

If you do ever decide to use liquid fuel, dont waste your time with kerosene. It is really finicky in that capacity. I tried it. Gas FTW.

Don't use Kerosene, and for *Can'tSayThisOnTV*'s sake do NOT use gasoline.
Gasoline will eat through your hose and pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE NOT METAL and you will catch your ass on FIRE.

Kerosene is nasty flax, it probably won't rape your hoses (like gas WILL), but you don't wanna be around that flax in general, the fumes are gigantic dicks waiting to rape your skin and eyes.
And mouth.
And nose.
And everything else you love.

Denatured Alcohol.
Any hardware store.
Relatively safe, you don't have to worry about getting on yourself.
Just don't breath the flax and you'll be fine.
It'll still burn like a mother*Can'tSayThisOnTV*er too, and will do great in your application.

I built a catapult out of popsicle sticks. Originally it was a spoon catapult, but I found the spoon-holding mechanism created more tension than the spoon. I swapped the spoon for another popsicle stick and it works better now. TODO: add some sort of cup to the stick. For mark two, I plan on putting a weighted base on it, making it look nicer, better angle on the arm, and a release mechanism.

2vd1q8w.jpg

In the very bottom right-hand corner you might be able to make out the top edge of a hand-wound toroid. That's part of my next little project.

Spraypainted my calculator. Black on the back side, left the front standard grey. Painted the cover thingy white. The black turned out well, the white didn't. Not sure if it's because the white isn't Fusion or simply because it's white.

My joule thief didn't work. I have no idea why, but I suspect it has something to do with the toroid. In any case, it only works within a narrow voltage range of about 3-4 volts. I don't think it's working the way it should, either. I glued it to a random piece of plastic.

Read it. I think the problem is with my toroid. I've got another one that I will wind and try... tomorrow.

So it's not really an afternoon project, because it wasn't done in the afternoon and it wasn't done it one day. It also wasn;t even done at my house, I made this in school. It's a tradition for the seniors of my school to make reindeer out of hands and feet and so I was like "lol okay" so I got some paper and I put my foot on it only to realize that my foot was bigger than a regular sheet of construction paper.

I was like "lolwut, FFFFFUUUUU"

Also, I wasn't the only one, half of the guys in my class were like "lolwut, FFFFFUUUUU"

But instead of taking the traditional route of using two pieces of paper, I was like "*Can'tSayThisOnTV* this flax" and so I made Mr. Popo!

1202101520-00.jpg

:ssawesome:

SS

Back