The afternoon projects thread

bentomo said:
my portabl n64 is bettr thn al of yor guys im the best

PIC_0019.jpg

:dahroll:

OK, I've been reading through this thread, and I think this portable wins.

SS that is awesome! I forgot you're a senior this year, and I'm a junior now. 0_0

Man how time flies.

I remember saying something like I bow to my upperclassman SS back when I was a freshman, 2 years already man.

Time flies, that it does. Especially when you're doing epic things, like making GCp's. I accidentally my last christmas break with my GCp2.

SS

I'm glad I found this hobby, but what can really get you going is when you're procrastinating on doing homework like I am now.

I'm supposed to be doing my history homework, but I ended up making abs cement. :rofl:

EDIT: Oops sorry I'm starting to thread jack a sticky. :eek:

Awesome. I haven't seen the movie, but that's pretty much how I imagined the symbol. What'd you make it out of?

I found a piece of a coaxil wire on the street, a really huge one, it is the inner conductor.
And soldered with my 30w soldering iron :ninj:
Regards, bruno

Not a Harry Potter fan, but it looks really cool nonetheless. Reminds me of a time back before I even knew how to solder, I tried to solder a bunch of nails into a 3 dimensional cube. It didn't work and I burned myself. D:

So, I just got a Kindle and want to automate the downloading of news feeds to it. I wanted a PC to turn on when I woke up in the morning, download the feeds, transfer them to my Kindle, then shut off.

First problem: The spare PC I put together for this does not support automatic startup in the BIOS, and neither do any of the other motherboards I had. So, I thought of a way to use an alarm clock to turn it on.

10mlbuw.jpg

29lfyv4.jpg

fkz5dx.jpg

orkodk.jpg

When the alarm clock would go off, it had a speaker that would produce a tone. This means it was switching power to the speaker on and off very quickly. This would not drive a relay directly, so I made a "filtering" circuit consisting of a few transistors and a capacitor. When the clock goes off, it charges the capacitor through a transistor. This buffers the on's and off's into a kind of pulsating DC current.

The capacitor drains into another transistor, turning it on. This activates two relays at once. One presses the button to turn off the alarm, and the other turns on the computer. Since the alarm was turned off just a moment ago, the speaker does not sound again and it does not turn the computer back off.

In the first picture, you see two sets of black and white wires going into the PC. One comes from the relay to short the power switch momentarily, and the other goes to the +5VSB on the power supply. This line provides +5v at low currents, even when the computer is off. The 5v powers the buffering circuit.

That was the difficult part and took about 4 hours. Everything else was easy. When you get a Kindle, Amazon gives you a free email address you can use to send files to it. I installed Calibre (an awesome free e-book manager) on the PC and had it run on startup. I set it up to download the feeds then email them to the Kindle through WiFi.

Turning the computer back off was easy as well. All you need to do it make a shortcut to "shutdown.exe -f -s -t x" and add it to the startup folder. The .exe is the Windows shutdown program. -f force-closes any open programs, -s specifies a shutdown (instead of restart, logout, etc) and -t x is how much time it will wait before shutting down, in seconds. I set it to a half-hour.

So, now I can have my news feeds on my Kindle before I leave for school. :awesome:

Heh, thanks, TW! :awesome: It's very satisfying to hear the little click of the relay and see the computer turn on.

Funny thing is, I could have avoided the alarm clock thing if I wasn't too lazy to just press the power button when I got up in the morning. XD

Wonderfully unnecessary. You need to add more unnecessary and complex steps and have your own Rube Goldberg machine.

Back