The afternoon projects thread

I made a simple led light circuit! (no pics :(...I'm a beginner when it comes to soldering, circuitry I'm not)

4 AA Holder
150 Ω resistor
3v 20ma Yellow LED

(6v - 3v) / .02A = 150 Ω

Wire positive from holder to resistor, resistor to LED, and LED to negative on holder.

Voila! The LED shines!

Here's a tip: Go garage sale hunting and pick up some old, broken VCRs and the like. They make for GREAT soldering practice.

Built a capture video splitter dongle thing. I got a capture box for $5, but it's too laggy to actually play on. With this, I can play on a normal TV and record to my PC at the same time. It actually works fairly well.

mmbzuo.jpg

Capture unit and setup with PS1.
3448583.png

15x5tfr.png

The biggest problem is that it's a huge pain in the ass to use. Since my game consoles and TV are at the other end of the room, I have to get the console I want, along with controller, game, and cables. The little B&W TV comes from the garage, and the capture box is near my PC but not plugged in, because there's no room on my desk. One of these days I'll get around to fixing that laptop. Ideally I would leave the setup by my TV and games and connect when needed. The bottom line is that I won't bother using it for video reviews when I don't have to. I'll just use emulators and HyperCam.

Ok, thanks.

What I do when using soldering iron, is coat tip in solder, get rid of excess on sponge.
I put entire cone-ish tip sortave flat on the joint. I wait 2ish seconds, then apply solder in a very small amount, so its not just a huge ball of solder and I was nice enough to put wire in it.

I then get rid of anything left on the sponge... repeat.

Is what I'm doing correct? Or am I missing something..

thanks.

Sounds like my technique, Desmin. And don't worry. We all started somewhere, and a lot of us started with LED flashlights.

desmin88 said:
I made a simple led light circuit! (no pics :(...I'm a beginner when it comes to soldering, circuitry I'm not)

4 AA Holder
150 Ω resistor
3v 20ma Yellow LED

(6v - 3v) / .02A = 150 Ω

Wire positive from holder to resistor, resistor to LED, and LED to negative on holder.

Voila! The LED shines!

Ohm's law, very nice. :) That certainly was NOT the first thing I learned. It's good that you're memorizing this stuff now. :awesome:

Thanks! I was told it was the most important thing you could learn, so, I learned it! :awesome:

Another mini soldering project I just did.

Took a computer light up fan, stripped wires, then stripped wires on a USB Male cord. Made the joint, soldered together. Went around each joint with electrical tape.

Now, the fan is 12v, USB is a max 5v, so it doesnt run at max speed, but it still is pretty fast and the lights, light up.

Mini USB fan!

Mario said:
desmin88 said:

4 AA Holder
150 Ω resistor
3v 20ma Yellow LED

(6v - 3v) / .02A = 150 Ω

Voila! The LED shines!

Ohm's law, very nice. :) That certainly was NOT the first thing I learned. It's good that you're memorizing this stuff now. :awesome:

I was in Physics and I STILL can't remember that sort of thing.

Needs more pressure. That's more "mega-lighter" than flamethrower. It's still really cool though.

do you have any sort of reverse flow blocker? it looks like it may very easily asplode. that would suck.

Epic. As Sam said, it'll asplode if you're not careful. For more pressure, try to incorporate a valve or something, so you increase pressure in the tube, and then open the valve as you ignite it. Dunno if it'd work though..

Back