Show us your desktop!

XCVG said:
Just curious, but what happens when you have a bunch of things open at once? Also, how's the resource usage on that? All that eye candy can't be free.

I'll probably keep my ghetto desktop (at least it runs Aero now). It is butt-ugly by comparison, but works great. Utilitarian and minimalistic.
This setup runs much better than you would expect (considering the fact I have rocketdock+2 plugins, rainmeter with several different plugins, Midnight Nature Glass theme for W7, CD Art Display, and total taskbar controller all running at once).

If I were to make a comparison, I would compare it to running windows basic without aero or any effects on a decent pc - it runs that flawlessly and responds instantly, even with an alt+tabbed game in the background and firefox up.

To iterate further, I'd say I only lose a few FPS in games from running these programs (not including wmp/firefox ofc), and alt+tabbing itself is still instantaneous.

To put things into perspective, my machine isn't exactly spectacular; I have a little Athlon X2 240 oc'ed to 3.5 ghz, a radeon 4850, and 10 gigs of ram that I really don't need.

My CPU generally idles at 95-100% with just these programs, and my RAM usage is currently at 2.5 gigs with wmp and firefox+its addons up (firefox+wmp are taking up a good 600mb atm).

It is possible to take a hit with these programs, though. I just clicked a few things on rocket dock and repeatedly spammed my windows start button and managed to hit 51% idle for my CPU (it was idling at 85-90% before with WMP+firefox up).

BUMP
B88mI.png

I tried using 11.10 and Unity, I really did.
I couldn't do it.
JUST WAIT UNTIL I MAKE GNOME 2 LOOK LESS STOCK.

I'm digging the background. I did try using GNOME like you suggested. Didn't work for me at all.

Just installed this a little while ago. Still need to get rid of the desktop icons and make some tweaks.

tUtie.jpg

My Windows machine. Wanted to get a Unity-esque look while still keeping that classic windows charm. +ponies.
Desktop-1.png

Yeah, my desktop is horribly cluttered.

Hahaha that is not cluttered. I usually fill mine up. I think somebody here posted a dual monitor setup where both were near full.

SS

ShockSlayer said:
I think somebody here posted a dual monitor setup where both were near full.
Yeah that was probably me.

TgxQI.jpg

^^^^^ Taken 5 seconds ago. Left is 1920x1080, right is 1280x1024. If I delete stuff then automatically sort, it fills right back up again. There's probably a few more monitors' worth of overflow that doesn't fit on-screen.

I have the Desktop folder pinned to the taskbar, so when I want to find something on the desktop I open it as an Explorer window and sort by date or file type. Yes the files could be organized in folders and corralled with third-party software and I could tweak everything to make it look 'minimalist' or whatever but I honestly don't give a flax.
zgoiB.gif

Of course the same effect can be had by disabling desktop icons entirely, but then it's so empty and I get Windows 3.1 flashbacks. :(

Why not throw everything in a "Misc." folder or something on the desktop and then pin that one? That way at least you can contain the mess to that one folder in like 5 seconds.

Zero said:
Why not throw everything in a "Misc." folder or something on the desktop and then pin that one? That way at least you can contain the mess to that one folder in like 5 seconds.
Because I could not possibly care less about the number of icons on my desktop. The most I do is dump all the images into a folder every few weeks, because they start piling up on top of the My Computer icon (one of the few that gets clicked on), and it's a quick way to clear a bunch of them at once. (Also it scares people away from using my PC.)

Someday I'll do a serious purge. Someday.
zgoiB.gif

My goodness, that's like the complete opposite of me. I like to keep my desktop clean, and the only time it gets cluttered is when I'm working on an image or something and I have project files strewn about. They get put away once the project is done.

This is my laptop's desktop at the moment, no cleaning at all:
1pvtz6.jpg

Well, I did just clean mine off...

zHqGG.png

Figured I'd just show my wallpaper rotation instead of my always changing wallpaper.

*Can'tSayThisOnTV* yeah, ponies. 95% Pinkie.
Speaking of which, Mario, no pony wallpaper; what is the madness?

SS

Back