Question Time

Alright I've been looking around in and out of the Forums and I can not find the answers to any of these questions...
"Note" I am starting to make my GCp...

Which type of Soldering Iron should I use? (I mean Wattage)

Which type of Solder should I use? (I mean Oz.)s' - 60/40?

I have been linked to a few batteries... But overall and of course; High Power Polymer Li-Ion Cell: 3.7V 4700 mAh is the best.. But I can't find a charger =/

I am also going to be building my case... instead of buying a pre-made... But my model is going to be like SS first GCp...

Is there a way to just play games off an SD card?

Also I must make a even bigger note... I have in fact OCD, and I am a big perfectionist... So, yeah.

Like I said before I will be making it like SS did with his first one (As I would think it was his first one).. I'm having trouble with the controller idea... So yeah...

Soldering iron is really personally preference, but a 20 watt should get the job done.

if you can find any, leaded solder is awesome. use rosin core and not solid.

i assume you are going to go for 11.1v, in which case you'll nbeed this and this.

for building a case, you can vacuum form, cut some sheet plastic or frankencase.

you can play games off an SD card with a little doodad called an SDgecko, but its VERY slow and crashes very often. over all, its really not worth it.

For batteries, you can find some 6000mAh for the same price as the 4700mAh ones, you just have to look hard. They are narrower but longer, so it would depend on the case you were using.

If I remember correctly, 60/40 solder is the stuff that stays molten really long, which is what is used in chip quik. Try to find 65/35ish(I think), which is the normal stuff.

Darkedragoon said:
Alright I've been looking around in and out of the Forums and I can not find the answers to any of these questions...
"Note" I am starting to make my GCp...

Which type of Soldering Iron should I use? (I mean Wattage)
A normal 30W Radio Shack cheapy will do. However, a good soldering iron is a lot better. I use a Weller WP25 and despite being 25W, it gets hotter faster and is much easier to solder with. As for wattage, don't go under 25 watts or over 40 for a general-purpose iron. There are 15 watt irons, but they are mostly for SMD, and more powerful ones for big connections. This applies to irons, NOT soldering stations.

Which type of Solder should I use? (I mean Oz.)s' - 60/40?
Don't use lead free solder, it sucks. 60/40 tin/lead solder is the normal kind and works fin. You want a relatively small diameter- 0.8mm (0.032") is the standard I think. A 500g spool is a huge amount- a smaller spool such as from Radio Shack may be a better idea.

I have been linked to a few batteries... But overall and of course; High Power Polymer Li-Ion Cell: 3.7V 4700 mAh is the best.. But I can't find a charger =/
I'm no expert on batteries, but I'm sure someone can answer this. Try browsing Batteryspace for a while.

I am also going to be building my case... instead of buying a pre-made... But my model is going to be like SS first GCp...
Okay, sure. I would never build a case myself, because I suck, but others have done a good job of it.

Is there a way to just play games off an SD card?
I'm not sure about this. I think there's a modchip that does this, but I may be thinking of another console.

Also I must make a even bigger note... I have in fact OCD, and I am a big perfectionist... So, yeah.

Like I said before I will be making it like SS did with his first one (As I would think it was his first one).. I'm having trouble with the controller idea... So yeah...

Back