NESArcade New question(s) as of Dec. Fifteenth

Jewjo

I was browsing Instructables one day when I came upon this guide. Naturally, this is a very cool idea and I wanted to make my own, but I prefer the real deal. After doing minimal amounts of research, I have a few questions and concerns that I need help resolving. This is where you, the reader, comes in. If all goes well, I plan to finish my N64 before 2010 and this before March 2010.

• Features I plan on having:
  • Storage area above the screen
  • 20'' 4::3: screen (Seems to be about a good size)
  • 2 Controller ports (As a side project, I plan on making a separate arcade controller thing for a 2P to plug into a controller port)
  • FC and NES compatibility (via an NES -> FC converter from an NES cart)
  • Surround sound in all 11 dimensions with the NES's original 42-bit graphics.

untitled.jpg

Current design (Cart slot also where ports are)

Questions:
1.) I plan on having the controller ports and cart slot under the arcade controls, in the vertical area by the front of the machine (use the pic in the link for a rough estimate). I can draw up a diagram if need be. With the location and nature of an NES's cart slot, I would have to relocate it to make this work, right? If so, how can the cart slot be removed from the mobo? Looking at it, I couldn't figure it out. I've never used an NES before, so they're very foreign to me. :oops:

2.) Should I use an NOAC instead? If so, which one is the best? Also, with an NOAC, will I need an FC -> NES converter (making the NES carts stick outwards even more). Looking at the height differences between the two carts, NES carts will already need to stick out about half way, I would think.

3.) I assume running this from wall power, I would need some kind of step-down regulator thing. I was going to look this up, but I figure I might as well ask here before I bother.

4.)What is a good site to purchase Arcade sticks (pref. black) and buttons (2 red; 6 black)? And what are the best brands to buy?
Edit: I found the site http://www.lizardlick.com/index.shtml and they seem to have a large variety with fair prices. Does anyone here have any knowledge on the best type of buttons/sticks?
Sticks, sticks, sticks. Bat or ball? Square or octagonal? (Leaning towards octagonal) What brand?

5.) What kind of paint job should I give it? I was thinking NES gray with a very minimalistic approach. And for the second player plug-in controller, I was thinking about painting/printing out a design for it to look like an FC controller (Player I layout, but labeled as PII).

6.) I just googled some screens and the cheapest 20'' was about $150. I was planning on spending $100 total on this project. Where can I buy a cheap screen or salvage one on the cheap? This is the biggest financial hurdle for this project.

7.) At what angle should the screen be tilted at? I have no idea what is standard.

Sorry for all of the questions, and thanks in advance. :)
By the way, if anymore diagrams are needed, just say the word and I can draw up my ideas.

Re: Warning: potentially really cool project, bro.

2. If you plan on relocating anyways, you can easily wire up a nes cart slot onto a fc connector thing from a noac.
3. get a 5v wall wart and hook it up to where the 7805 was.

You can just pull the old connector right off. It's a bit snug, but you can pull it right off.

NES's original 42-bit graphics.
wut

Also, you could just get a Playchoice-10 and get a converter for NES games.

mako321 said:
3. get a 5v wall wart and hook it up to where the 7805 was.
Thanks, I'll look into that.

zeturi said:
You can just pull the old connector right off. It's a bit snug, but you can pull it right off.
By God, you're right! I was hesitant ripping it from the board, but I was successful in my endeavor. With this turn of events, I'll probably just relocate the cart slot.

J.D said:
NES's original 42-bit graphics.
wut
Yeah, the NES had 42-bit graphics and an 11 dimensional sound system.

Re: NESArcade New question(s) as of Dec. 13/09

The Question said:
That doesnt sound right, isnt the NES 8-bit?
Yes, I was joking earlier. I didn't think half of the posts in this thread would be about it though. Stuff happens. :rolleyes:

:tophat: Ok just to make myself feel better i just would like to point out now that i hav been working on a similar project for a couple weeks now...just wanted to put that out there so when i post pics of it soon no one will be liek "ZOMG WTF!?!?! TOTALLY STOLE DAT!" k? ok.

now on a good note i would like to say i love your design and i cant wait to see the final unit! ^_^ also the tilt of the screen is really personal prefrence. i for one like a no tilt screen for the nes. The tilt also depends on if this is a bartop cabinet or a standing cabinet. if it is a bartop then i would suggest a little tilt because it is easier to see.

Jewjo said:
The Question said:
That doesnt sound right, isnt the NES 8-bit?
Yes, I was joking earlier. I didn't think half of the posts in this thread would be about it though. Stuff happens. :rolleyes:
Oh wow you're so funny :rolleyes:

IKSROG-II said:
:tophat: Ok just to make myself feel better i just would like to point out now that i hav been working on a similar project for a couple weeks now...just wanted to put that out there so when i post pics of it soon no one will be liek "ZOMG WTF!?!?! TOTALLY STOLE DAT!" k? ok.

now on a good note i would like to say i love your design and i cant wait to see the final unit! ^_^ also the tilt of the screen is really personal prefrence. i for one like a no tilt screen for the nes. The tilt also depends on if this is a bartop cabinet or a standing cabinet. if it is a bartop then i would suggest a little tilt because it is easier to see.
To be fair, I just took the idea from some other guy's project and modified it, but don't tell anyone. :ninj:

This will be a bartop/tabletop unit (so I can 'easily' move it from house to house or future dorm room if need be). Using my laptop as a rough estimate, I think I've decided on having the NESArcade screen titled at about 105 degrees from the X axis. I'm also considering having a clear piece of fiberglass or something at 90 degrees to support the cart storage area. Good idea?

By the way, care to share more about your project?

:tophat: well after looking at the intructables page i must say my cabinet isnt going to be as cool looking but serve the same purpose. I have a old composite tv, a superjoy, and some extra wood so i figured i would make a standup arcade nes cabinet to put in my new apartment. its really a simple design, im just soldering arcade controls to the controllers of the sj3 :sweat: and connecting that to the tv. Also im adding a famicon to nes converter so i can still play my nes games :dah:

not really epic but it works

Back