N64sp WIP, useful things start on pg 7.

icarus

I have not started actual construction yet, but I do have a concept drawing!

3714740729_b7837f6e34_o.jpg

I realize now that the ram is probably not going to be in that position, but I didn't while I was drawing it. I also know that I fail at drawing.. no need to point that out. I'm not going into a career in art or anything. :p

If you're wondering about the name...I'm pretty much trying to base the shape of my system off the the GBAsp. It's just going to be a lot larger.

I'm pretty much going to follow bacteria's guide. (Thanks for writing it. I'd be lost without it.) So I have an idea of what I'm doing. Even though I'm probably insane for trying to make a laptop type portable my first time. I just have a couple questions that hopefully someone here can answer for me.

1. Is it actually possible to make a laptop style N64? I'm assuming it is, but I don't want to waste my time on something that I can't make.

2. I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to batteries. I know I want a Li-ion battery (Thanks again bacteria.) But the whole mAh concept makes little sense to me. Can anyone recommend a long lasting battery?

Thanks!

Re: N64sp WIP

Don't do a flip screen portable, it will be huge, due to the fact that the n64 board and screen have to be separate, = thicker, more awkward. Also, you'd have to have external controllers, because of the screen. :sad:

eurddrue said:
Don't do a flip screen portable, it will be huge, due to the fact that the n64 board and screen have to be separate, = thicker, more awkward. Also, you'd have to have external controllers, because of the screen. :sad:

I didn't realize the screen had anything to do with the controller. Reading Bacteria's article, I thought the controllor only connected to N64 motherboard.

I don't have to do a flip screen, I guess I just wanted to make something unique.

Well hmm filp screen buttons stick out , screen flips shut , buttons , hit screen screen breaks. Broken screen = BAD!

What he means is that the controls, which are sticking up, would not allow the thing to close all the way and would mess up the screen.

Yeah, Flipscreen is only the way to go if you are okay with external controls.

AfroLH said:
What he means is that the controls, which are sticking up, would not allow the thing to close all the way and would mess up the screen.

Well that makes more sense.. :whoops:

However, I have an idea! I could make an edge around the top side so that when the two sides came together, the buttons and screen wouldn't touch.

edit: Also, even if it's thick, it hopefully won't be thicker than the actual N64, which some people use.

icarus said:
AfroLH said:

Well that makes more sense.. :whoops:

However, I have an idea! I could make an edge around the top side so that when the two sides came together, the buttons and screen wouldn't touch.

Hmm... Well unless you are okay with something that wont close all the way, I wouldn't attempt it.

I think that since this is your first project, you shouldn't think outside the box too much.
Make a simple N64P first.

AfroLH said:
I think that since this is your first project, you shouldn't think outside the box too much.

You're probably right. Hm... probably need to make a new concept then.

icarus said:
AfroLH said:

geez, Afro, youre one to talk! :rolls: :lol2:

samjc3 said:
icarus said:
AfroLH said:

geez, Afro, youre one to talk! :rolls: :lol2:

:funny:
My ideas aren't amazingly radical (Not that yours was icarus), they are just different! :thumb:

Yknow what would make an awesome flipscreen portable? Make the batteries, controller, system, cart ect all in the one half, and just use a psone screen. It shouldn't be hard to adapt one of those!

SS

ShockSlayer said:
Yknow what would make an awesome flipscreen portable? Make the batteries, controller, system, cart ect all in the one half, and just use a psone screen. It shouldn't be hard to adapt one of those!

Indeed! Plus that madcatz screen I got already has a rectangular shape. I'd just have to make a bottom half that matched.

Hmm...

No, it will still be bigger than an "all-in-one" case, and harder too. I've talked with evilteddy about this.

eurddrue said:
No, it will still be bigger than an "all-in-one" case, and harder too. I've talked with evilteddy about this.

Well as my first portable, I'm already assuming that it's going to be enormous. I don't really plan on board trimming that much. I'm still going try this design. If it doesn't work, I'll just make a different one. :tophat:

Sorry for the double post. But I felt the need to ask a question.

I understand everything in Bacteria's guide, except I'm still a little iffy on the Step-Down regulator. I understand what it does, and Bacteria recommended I use a TI. Can anyone recommend a more specific Texas Instruments one, so I can aquire it? I'd really appreciate it! :awesome:

icarus said:

I understand everything in Bacteria's guide, except I'm still a little iffy on the Step-Down regulator. I understand what it does, and Bacteria recommended I use a TI. Can anyone recommend a more specific Texas Instruments one, so I can aquire it? I'd really appreciate it! :awesome:

PTH08000 or PTH08080. Either way you'll need a resistor (forgot the value, sorry) and a capacitor (forgot that one too).

XCVG said:
icarus said:

PTH08000 or PTH08080. Either way you'll need a resistor (forgot the value, sorry) and a capacitor (forgot that one too).

1.8k-2k ohm and 100uf electrolytic.

Basement_Modder said:
1.8k-2k ohm and 100uf electrolytic.

Oh how I wish I knew more about electronics. Then this would be so much easier..

3722765608_d764ebbb5e.jpg

Ok looking at Harshboy's diagram really helped me understand some of the wiring. Except...(there always has to be something to confuse me.) the parts I highlighted. I was wondering how this was done. :dah:

I'm a noob, I know it. Sorry. :p

Instead of a split like that, (it really is a split) you can just solder the two destinations to the origin. Basically, make a V and not a Y. One less point to solder. This is a bad explaination. :oops:

Back