N64 portable worklog

Well, it's been three weeks since I burned the finger. It's totally healed, just no fingerprint where it touched. I didn't just brush the iron, I gripped it momentarily, and didn't let go until I saw the smoke come from my hand. It didn't actually hurt till after I dropped the iron.

Also, I may continue this portable again soon, but without relocating the jumper pak. I have a Rev 2 board, so I get RGB and another round at relocating my cart slot. But I kinda want to make my genesis portable first.

zeturi said:
Well, it's been three weeks since I burned the finger. It's totally healed, just no fingerprint where it touched. I didn't just brush the iron, I gripped it momentarily, and didn't let go until I saw the smoke come from my hand. It didn't actually hurt till after I dropped the iron.

OUCH

I haven't been just laying around, sulking over my borked system, I've worked on a case for a day or two now. I've got all my buttons (except for L, R and Z) all cut out and placed. and everything fits! It's a very rough job, I just melted the plastics together and filed away some of the excess. Here's my result:
GEDC0030.jpg

I'll be working on the guts shortly, just trying to make a pretty case for now.

Argelfraster said:
Please tell me you're gonna cover that melted stuff with bondo :hand:
Yes, like I said it's a very rough job. I plan on finishing the other buttons, filling in some parts with more melted plastic. Then bondo, sand, bondo, sand, bondo, sand, and several coats of paint, with sanding in between each coat.

Is it possible to fry or put your n64 to sleep by inserting a cartridge backwards? After my relocation, I accidentally inserted my cartridge backwards. My cartridges wouldn't start anymore.

I thought maybe my flimsy stranded wire might be the problem, so I replaced the wires with some speaker wire, and I'm definite that my connections are good. No bridges, no touching wires, no random blobs of solder.

The only thing I can think of is that my system is (hopefully) asleep and not fried. Plox give me some help! :gonk:

Putting the cartridge in backwards doesn't do anything.

UNLESS YOU TURN THE N64 ON! (in which case the n64 is fried)

Argelfraster said:
Putting the cartridge in backwards doesn't do anything.

UNLESS YOU TURN THE N64 ON! (in which case the n64 is fried)
NOOOOO! Why did you edit your post? For a moment I actually had hope! I guess I'm going to just wait a day or two, and hopefully my system comes back to life.

What are you powering the system with, may I ask? If it's the original n64 psu, you have a chance.

You are teh luckster! Basically, now, all you need to do is use a different psu or wait a couple days and it should be teh fine! :D :D :D

I think I'm a little too ambitious, yet again. I'm going to use a smaller lcd for this project. I've done way too much work to abandon the current case I have, so I'll be saving it for later. For now, I think my 3.5" from DX will have to suffice. Now, I need to get to testing the n64 again....

Still gonna try to use a psone case, though! :twisted:

EDIT: I am not teh luckster, after all. Dang thing won't turn on. I think I'll try redoing my cart slot relocation, even though it looks fine. I don't have a multimeter, but I'm using solid speaker wire and it's definitely making a good connection. I'll try it one more time.

Back